Forums Latest Members

Some disappointment with a PO I picked up

1. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

Hey all,

Recently grabbed a PO Cal 8500 from a local seller for a great price! I somehow in my excitement didn't notice the hour hand seems to be tracking about 20 minutes out. And the warranty on the watch literally ended a month ago! Now, the previous owner must have just ignored this I assume?

I can't be too mad, because it really was quite a good deal, but I am a bit concerned on what fixing it will cost. I have found if I fiddle with the date set jumping hour I can set the hour hand in the right spot, but pulling the crown out again will change that.

I have sent Archer an email, since he seems to be the Omega guy for us Canadians, I am eager to hear back, and hope it wont cost me a small fortune!

Aside from all this, love the watch. I had a black bezel one before, and I had missed it dearly. Hopefully this is just a small hickup in a long relationship.

Edited Jan 15, 2017
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 9, 2017

Congratulations, I am sure it will work out. I Love orange,
    0703.jpg
    love blue too.
    310062-03cd475deef42f6009e572b4bdcec231.jpg

3. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

I really enjoy the orange ceramic bezel. I never liked it in photos, but in person it's such a neat color.

Now... I am wondering, for the time being, is me kind of setting the hour hand in the right place with the date set function damaging anything?

4. Bushido Jan 9, 2017

First off, congrats on the new PO! This is a really fun looking model! @Archer will be a keen expert on getting the hand misalignment issue corrected and hopefully that's the only issue your new watch needs to have fixed.

As to your question on leaving the crown out position: My first instinct is that's it's not worth the risk. While there should still be some water resistance protection even while the crown is out, that protection is greatly reduced and there will be increased risk of getting water inside. Also, there will be a small but possible risk of damaging the stem on the crown if you bump it just right. Those are my immediate concerns with your proposal but perhaps I am worrying too much?

5. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

My crown is screwed down currently. I mean I went to position 1, and instead of just jumping the hour, I did a half move or so to get it timed correctly, then pushed the crown in and screwed it down.

I was told I should mention I'm in Calgary, AB. If anyone happens to know somewhere local that they would trust with an Omega.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2017

This is a known issue with these watches, and even though it's out of warranty by a little, since it a known problem, Omega may still repair it under warranty. My advice would be to quickly seek resolution from Omega before you get any further out of the warranty period.

Cheers, Al

CaptDngr, g-boac, destroid and 3 others like this.
  7. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

I gave Calgary Jewellers a call, and they said they couldn't do much for me (this is the AD the watch is from, I even have the original receipt, it was purchased Dec 7th 2012).

Would I instead go to Omega directly? I'm a bit lost with servicing, I've never had to before on any of my watches.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2017

I would contact Swatch in Toronto directly, and let them know you have an 8500 with the known hour hand alignment issue that just ran out of warranty and see what they will do for you.

But disappointing the dealer is washing their hands and won't even try on your behalf...

destroid and Lonestar like this.
  9. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

Might be a stupid question, but exactly how do I get ahold of them?

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 9, 2017

The one at 555 Richmond St West. Easy to find on Google.

11. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

Just found the email for them. I sent them one, hopefully there's some good news.

12. Rodmar Jan 9, 2017

Congrats, what a great color, and it happens to be my favorite color. I'll have to keep my eye out for one!

13. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

@Archer

In the mean time, will I damage anything by doing what I'm doing with the date hour jump?

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2017

I'm not really sure what it is you are doing, but this is not really a movement problem per second, but hands that are too loose. My advice would be not to try to fudge it.

15. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jan 9, 2017

That's a nice duo you have there. Love that blue dial with that little splash of orange. And the blue strap is perfect for that watch. Damn now I want one...

16. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

Ive pulled it to position one, where the hour hand jumps one hour at a time, and kind of... Half jumped it, then pushed the crown in. Hands all seem to work fine.

17. ulackfocus Jan 9, 2017

Perseus and Jwit like this.
  18. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Jan 9, 2017

My dad has the exact same issue with his seamaster 300. He uses the same trick with the crown. Please share what omega says in response.

19. ToXic Jan 9, 2017

Did doing the "trick" have any adverse effects at all? With the date function perhaps?

Will do!

20. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Jan 9, 2017

Nope. It keeps amazing time other than the fact that the hour hand is slightly misaligned. Your mileage may vary, though.

As a side note, he bought it grey market, so no omega warranty, and doesn't want to deal with their third party warranty.