Forums Latest Members
  1. tobias3 Sep 15, 2013

I have a 1968 vintage Geneve automatic. All parts have been certified as authentic and it is in lovely condition. My question involves the timekeeping. It has recently been serviced and keeps excellent time throughout the day whilst I am wearing it but find that by the morning it has lost 3-5 minutes per day.

Is this in need of servicing again or can someone let me know if it needs winding (and how?!). I have no idea how the crown works on the watch.

All help appreciated.

Cheers

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 15, 2013

Even an automatic watch needs to be fully wound to perform correctly. The auto-wind function is only intended to keep the mainspring charged after it has been full charged by hand winding.

Try timing the watch again after fully charging the mainspring by turning the crown clockwise 40 to 50 twists. Don't worry you cannot "over-wind" one of these.

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 15, 2013

If I understand your problem correctly, then when wearing the watch (during the day) it is keeping time fine, but when you take it off at night and check in the morning, it losses time? There are a few possibilities:

The first is that the mainspring is not holding charge over night and this is impacting the time keeping. This is unlikely, since wearing the watch all day should be enough to charge it for the few hours you are sleeping. Of course it is possible that the mainspring was not replaced during service and is broken or the bridal is slipping early, which causes the mainspring to not fully charge.

I think the most likely scenario is that the effect has to do with the position of the watch. During the day you are active and the watch is facing many positions. At night the watch is placed face up and stays that way for several hours. More than likely you have some dirt on the balance staff of pivot jewel, which is causing extra friction in the face up position. It could be other issues with the balance, but this should be easy to find out. Take it to a watchmaker and ask for him to test it on a timing machine in all positions. This should reveal whether this is the issue.

4. John R Smith Sep 16, 2013

I hate to disagree with someone as experienced as Norm, but I have found that both cal 354 (bumper) and cal 552 (full-rotor) will wind themselves quite happily during daily wear on my wrist from fully discharged. After a week or so of daily wear, my best 354 will then run for 40 hours laid flat after no winding from the crown whatsoever. So if this Geneve is correctly set-up there should be no problem with running overnight, even if the winding crown is never used. Three to five minutes time loss in 24 hours is a huge amount, and indicates a mechanical problem with the movement, as Joe suggests.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

I'd have to doubt that on a bumper like the Calibre 35x family, I've never been able to get my 353 or 355 to wind that way without a full initial 40 turns, my calibre 503 Seamaster is a bit more forgiving being recently serviced and full rotor. Both my 353 and 355 are recently serviced to a very high standard but they're just not capable of getting a good start given my relatively sedentary lifestyle.

Even Calibre 8500s can wind down on some people's wrists and I'd be winding one of those 40 times as well.

Henneth likes this.
  6. John R Smith Sep 16, 2013

Well, it makes for an interesting debate. What might make a difference is that I wear my watch on my right wrist and I am right-handed. I also lead a pretty active life, with lots of gardening, cottage maintenance, guitar-playing etc. But, for example, the guilloche-dial Seamaster I got recently from Tim has a cal 354, and I just wore it for three weeks straight off and never wound it from the crown. No problems at all. Having read the comments from Desmond on his blog that bumper movements are very poor at self-winding, especially on the right wrist, I was very impressed.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

Bumpers I think were meant to be worn on the left wrist due to the orientation but I'm by no means certain of that, I can be sure that my daily life is rather sedentary though. I sit in a remarkably comfortable Herman Miller Embody chair about 10 hours out of the day tapping away on a computer, make a trip to the local cafe for some nice vegetarian grub somewhere in the middle, and get a cab home in the afternoon most days. Generally speaking because these movements tend to be in dress watches, and more so dress watches that are babied and not worn in situations where they can get knocked about (If I'm doing something active I'll usually switch to a Rolex Submariner or Daytona in SS) its probably the combination of the less efficient winding mechanism as well as that which causes them to run down.

That said, even the card that came in the box for my 1970s Submariner says you must wind the watch before putting it on in order for it to function correctly, and the timing accuracy is intended when the watch is at full wind and being kept wound by the auto-winding mechanism, rather than being brought up to speed (someone who knows more about mainsprings and torque and stuff like Al could probably elaborate on that).

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

Regardless of this interesting debate, it will not hurt to give the watch a full manual wind and see if it makes a difference :thumbsup:

John R Smith likes this.
  9. John R Smith Sep 16, 2013

My apologies to the OP for getting a bit carried away . . .

10. tobias3 Sep 16, 2013

Many thanks for all the posts. I have given this a manual wind today for the suggested amount and will report back in the morning on how much time we have (hopefully not!) lost!

Cheers

11. John R Smith Sep 16, 2013

Tobias

Out of interest - how many hours a day has the watch been worn, on average?

12. tobias3 Sep 16, 2013

Approx 12 hours per day I would say if not more!

13. tobias3 Sep 17, 2013

It looks to have lost 2-3 minutes overnight :(

14. John R Smith Sep 17, 2013

Ha! Vindicated ::stirthepot::

So the problem was not that the automatic winding was unable to fully charge the mainspring, because you fully wound it by hand and the watch still lost a very large amount of time overnight. Therefore, the suggestions Joe made probably hold the clue to this errant behaviour. I think that you need another trip to a watchmaker . . . ;)

15. AMBwatches Sep 18, 2013

I would take it to a different watchmaker if possible.....