Forums Latest Members
  1. Dave the Cave Jan 19, 2015

2. Dave the Cave Jan 19, 2015

Anyone able to tell me anything about this? Haven't managed to find any similar images online.

I need to find someone competent and reasonably priced in the Oxford area to have a look at the crown. Any recommendations gladly received.

Cheers,

Dave

3. bieb1 Jan 20, 2015

Hi Dave, to get the answers you are looking for, I think it would help to be a bit more specific about your questions and also post pictures of the back (and movement if at all possible). The funny reply to your question would be: "It is a watch", but I guess you already know that. At first glance it looks like a 1950-ies manual wind Omega watch, but without knowing the diameter in mm, it will be hard to tell which movement and reference number. The crown is likely not original and I am not sure about the hands either. Both would have been replaced at a past service, which is normal procedure and this could be undone if that is what you want. But there are many experts here, so perhaps one of them will be able to provide more help. Is this a family heirloom, or a flea-market find?

4. Dave the Cave Jan 20, 2015

Thanks for the reply. Here's some more photos. It was my grandad's so the 50's would be the right sort of era. New hands might explain why I can't find anything that looks like it on the net. image.jpg image.jpg

5. John R Smith Jan 20, 2015

An English watch, with a 9k gold Dennison case made in Birmingham. It has an Omega cal 360 manually wound movement from around 1949 to 1950, without Incabloc shock protection on the balance. The hands have certainly been replaced.

6. bieb1 Jan 20, 2015

Hi John, thanks for chiming in. It is a nice heirloom and deserves a service to make it run well and look right. Dave is looking for a reliable and reasonably priced watch maker in the Oxford area. Any ideas?

7. John R Smith Jan 20, 2015

I live a long way from Oxford, but I would have thought our very own Stefan who is based in London would be a good watchmaker to talk to. Dave could try a PM as a first move.