Forums Latest Members
  1. devnull May 4, 2017

My '69 speedmaster error bezel model is at the shop and I'm still pondering what to do... It has an incorrect chrono hand. Talking with the shop my options are to source used ones, have new ones installed, and have new ones aged which they don't like to do because nobody has ever likes how they end up... Anybody got a '69 chrono hand they are eager to part with? It aggravates me to see the wrong hand but it would aggravate me just as much seeing new ones, at least the incorrect one is already paid for... Correct slightly off patinated hand, I could live with.

In addition, the glass seems to have a crack, on the edge, you can't see it unless you look for it and turn it into the light just so. Me, I like the crack there, I think it gives the watch character. Then again I'm one of those weirdos that don't mind scratches on the faces of (almost, but not quite all) of my watches. I'm thinking about selling this particular watch, I'm wondering if the glass would be a big deal to somebody else.

2. OddSpeedy May 4, 2017

If you're gonna sell it, then yeah, fresh hesalite would probably make it more appealing to many buyers out there. It sounds small, but could get worst and would obviously be something a prospective owner would need to address.

I had my panties in a bunch about having the wrong chrono hand on my watch a few weeks back. Thinking it over though, the hands been with the watch for longer than I've been alive, I've decided to live with it... unless you happen to have a period spear point you'd like to trade for a nice vintage flat-end :thumbsup:

3. OddSpeedy May 4, 2017

That's not a crack... That's a crack! (I couldn't resist)

CrackedHesalite.jpg

4. onthedial May 4, 2017

@devnull
    Definitely source a period correct piece.
    Do you have a pic of chrono you feel needs replacing?

5. Maybe May 5, 2017

I would source an old hand, possibly let it be relumed if thats needed.
    For me scratches are ok but not cracks. Just my two cents.

6. ibis888 May 6, 2017

In my opinion - get a new hesalite crystal. It doesn't devalue the watch in any way, isn't very expensive, and makes a big difference in the way the watch looks.

7. OddSpeedy May 6, 2017

@ibis888 ... pretty sure the OP disappeared from this thread