Forums Latest Members

Some advice for a watch newbie with buyer’s remorse

1. degminsec Nov 1, 2017

Hi all. Wondering if I could get some advice from the community, as I’m new to the watch world, and I’m sure others have made similar mistakes when getting started. Somehow I got the bug (started reading hodinkee, lurking on these forums) and decided it was time to get big boy watch. Luckily my 40th was coming up, and I have a very loving and supportive wife. After several months of obsessive reading and researching, I decided I should be an omega man. My dad has worn his submariner religiously every day since before I was born, so I was drawn to the Seamaster 300 master co-axial, as it reminded me of that but it was different enough to feel like my own. In fact, I really was interested in the trilogy edition coming out - and got on the list at my local boutique. But I grew impatient (of course) and saw a deal on the Seamaster 300 master coaxial on a very reputable online seller (rhymes with “down and pal-of-her”), was in pristine condition, and heck it was free shipping and free returns if I didn’t like it, as long as I don’t take the sticker off.

Well... long story short, I took the sticker off. And now that I’ve been wearing it for a few weeks, I can say that I love looking at the watch, but I just don’t love wearing it. I find it cumbersome, thick (doesn’t fit under some of my shirt cuffs at work), a bit too shiny for my taste, etc.

So, what’s a newbie that got too excited to do? Amazingly, the retailer is willing to take it back, but with a hefty restocking fee, and for store credit only. Meanwhile, I’ve continued to obsessively research and found a few possible alternatives that are a bit slimmer/dressier that might better suit me - but I’m not sure I’ll find it at that same retailer, so I’m worried about getting locked in.

I guess my big question is, as a newbie, should I consider trying to sell the watch myself? It is in beautiful condition. There are some minor scuffs that have developed since I started wearing it on the latch under my wrist, and some very hard to see ones on the shiny middle parts of some links. I actually brought it into the local omega boutique, and they said for $30, they could send in the bracelet for refinishing, which I could do before selling and then basically I’d be selling a mint condition watch (with original box).

But I just don’t know how hard it is to sell this as a watch newbie. I actually have a lot of experience selling electronics that I cycle through on eBay, and have an excellent profile with a couple hundred transactions, all with 100% positive feedback. So I have that going for me. But I’m a bit paranoid about selling things I’m not as familiar with, and don’t want to have to deal with shady buyers etc. Beyond eBay I am not familiar at all with the second hand watch market as a seller. And I still have this option to return with a restocking fee and store credit.

Would appreciate any advice. I am committed to getting a real watch and excited to do so, I think I just jumped in too soon and I’m looking for the safest way out that doesn’t end up getting me so ripped off I can’t afford the next one. I figured there must be a few of you out there who were in my place at one point, and I’d really appreciate your experience.

Thanks, and hope to be posting soon about my next acquisition.

By the way, I have a few shots of my watch on the wrist while also having the new trilogy Seamaster they showed me at my boutique... I offer those here as a thanks for your advice, as I haven’t seen too many of those shots online.

99326AAE-4102-47EA-99A4-76598D0C81CE.jpeg B7A8E9E8-445B-4E86-95AD-FBADA88F6344.jpeg C2B3F1E7-EF87-4B2B-8600-5272C21FDFEF.jpeg
    Edited Nov 3, 2017
  2. AnotherDon Nov 1, 2017

Think of the money you may lose as tuition (money you pay for a little education). And you don't have to be a noobie to find yourself in the wrong place with a watch. It happens to all of us. I've been in this watch hobby for 25 years+/- and just this week I managed to finally get shed of a watch that I thought I wanted when I bought it, but found that I just couldn't live with.

To move that watch along, you need a plan. As I see it you have 3 options. 1> Send the watch back and suffer the 25% restock fee. 2> Sell the watch yourself. But, you're selling a used watch and aren't likely to be able to get what you paid for the watch, but maybe only lose 10% or 15% of what you originally paid. That's a maybe, a big maybe. or 3> Find the watch you want to replace this Seamaster at an on line watch dealer and see if you can trade this watch.

The advantage of Option 1 is that it is quick and easy. Send it back, pay the restocking fee and it's done. The advantage of Option 2 is that you would hopefully minimize your loss. The disadvantage is that selling the watch yourself could take longer than you want. And may not get you any more money...net to you...than Option 1. Option 3 is likely the most time intensive. First you have to decide what watch you want to replace this Seamaster. Then, you have to find your target watch at a dealer and then you have to negotiate a trade. Sometimes this is easy and usually not, but it can be done.

My case study for you of Option 3. A year ago I decided that i needed/wanted an Omega CK2998. Shopped around for a couple of months and finally pulled the trigger. When I got the watch I knew in an instant that I had bought the wrong watch. It was just too hard to tell time on the watch. My eyes needed more contrast between the hands and the dial. Last week I found a LE Speedy Pro that I know I will like. When I found the watch on the dealer's website, I thought about it for a couple of days and then called the dealer on the phone. I'm in Texas and the dealer and watch are in Philadelphia. I told the dealer that I wanted the watch he had and that I wanted to trade my CK2998 plus $X,XXX. We chatted for a while when he ran his numbers, he concluded that he couldn't do my number, but we weren't that far apart. He needed about $750 more than I offered, but he would pay shipping on both watches. I figured that that would save me about $300 in shipping fees and insurance. So I agreed to the deal. He emailed me a Fedex shipping label and I sent him my watch. He called me after receiving my watch and we cleared the cash balance with a hit to my credit card. He shipped the watch this morning and I should get the replacement watch in the morning. Te moral to this story is that it can be done. It just takes a while.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 1, 2017

There is another option that will cost you less and solve the issue...

My first was larger then yours... a 45.5 planet ocean Chrono, granted my 7.5 inch wrists have no issue with my model, as it’s the thinnest of the Planet Oceans. It is way to large to wear under a shirt cuff.

If you like the 300mc for everyday casual wear there are many affordable options for a work/dress watch. The smaller model Orient Bambino is a great piece for under 300 with many options in dial and hands.

Watching these forums closely or with help from this forum there are great vintage pieces that can be had from 300-1000 that can be worn when you have to wear a shirt with cuffs.

Personally I love the 300mc and deeply regret not getting the Spectre version of it. If you want to dress it down a bit you can always put it on a leather strap.

The other option is finding a Birthyear Speedmaster Professional which will run you about 3000-4000 depending on condition and bracelet/strap. These wear much thinner and dress up and down.

sxl2004 and jumpingsecond like this.
  4. jumpingsecond Nov 1, 2017

Piggy backing off @AnotherDon - Option 4 since you have a good seller rating on ebay is do option 2 (put it up for a BIN not auction) and option 3 (talk to dealers about trade) simultaneously. Whichever hits first.

5. Mozziebite Nov 2, 2017

Get the $30 refurb. A mint condition 300 that's only a few weeks old won't take much of a hit on eBay - certainly not the 25% that the dealership is offering.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 2, 2017

I feel you’re pain ... we all do, we’ve all been there. Send it back and don’t buy another watch without research and trying it on.

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 2, 2017

I agree certainly try a watch on before buying, but I will add that I have purchased a couple of watches that I tried on, only to discover they did not work for me. One was the Seamaster 300 MC ti and the other was the Speediorite.

I still own the Seamaster, just rarely wear it.

IMG_20170918_132526.jpg

8. kippyk Nov 2, 2017

Thanks for the pics. I like the Trilogy edition better myself.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  9. gdupree Nov 2, 2017

Check out ebay's & paypals fees before listing it there. I believe Ebay charges 10% for watches, and Paypal takes another not insignificant fee (think maybe 4-5%? don't quote me). All-in-all, you might be giving up 15% or more in fees. Roughly $600 on a $4000 sale price. Just something to consider. I like the option of taking good pictures, listing it as a Buy It Now for the price you want to sell it for while you're sorting out other options. If it sells, great.

10. JSal16 Nov 2, 2017

If I were you, I'd keep the Seamaster 300mc and order the all brushed SS braclet from Omega. It will completely change the look of the watch and give it a much more rugged/less dressy look. The Spectre version came with the all brushed brachlet but most of the photos you'll see on the web all show it with the black and gray NATO. If it's just too bulky for you, I'd sell it and move on...

11. Ninja2789 Nov 2, 2017

You've gotten some pretty good advice on here so far. If you're not pressed for the money (i.e. you don't need it to purchase something else) then you can definitely slow play this selling it yourself. A quick look at watchrecon shows prices that range anywhere from $3200 - $4200 on your watch depending on condition and etc.

https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=seamaster+300

Ebay/Paypal fees definitely add up, but given you've sold on that platform numerous times I imagine you know what you're getting into. At the end of the day, don't lose any sleep over this. You'll be out a bit of money, but at the end of the day at least you have the means to get what you really want. I can't tell you how many new collectors I've met who bought something thinking they could flip it for a quick dollar, only to discover that it was a complete and utter fake.

Good luck wrapping up your first lesson and post pictures of when you finally get the watch you want!

12. saulgoodman Nov 2, 2017

I think you may want to think this over a bit more. You have definitely purchased a great watch. One thing to consider is that one watch can't be all things. Your MC is a sports watch and it is meant to be on the big side. However, there are ways to make it a little more subtle if that is what you are going for. Bracelets make watches of this type look much bigger. I suggest you try a nice leather strap that will decrease the wrist presence of the watch, and may even make it more wearable with dress shirts. The great thing about these watches is that one quick strap change changes the entire look and feel of the piece. Unless you are hell bent on taking that large restocking hit, I would give this some time and get to know the watch under different looks. I have the feeling that in time you will find the look that suits your needs and you will be switching back and forth between straps and the bracelet to complement your daily routine. Good luck!

Omega-Seamaster-300-7.jpg

13. degminsec Nov 2, 2017

Thank you all so much for the input. This is a great forum! Really appreciate the thoughtful comments. I’ll post back after stewing on these over the weekend.

Speedmasterfan88 and Timmert like this.
  14. ac106 Nov 3, 2017

or he could just get a jeweler to brush out the polished links for like 1/100 the price....

Taddyangle and Kmart like this.
  15. dan7800 Nov 3, 2017

"Think of the money you may lose as tuition (money you pay for a little education)."

Great advice. I recently made a VERY stupid mistake and had my grandfather's watch largely destroyed by a completely incompetent "expert" repair person. Money cannot undo the damage they caused to a family heirloom. I've learned from that and now have the watch being repaired by a very good repair person.

Take it as a lesson learned and don't lose sleep over it.

16. Moadib Nov 3, 2017

If the financial impact isn't the primary issue for you, perhaps hold onto the watch for a while? I know over the years my tastes have changed a lot, and watches I loved I fell out of love with, and later came back to. If I've really enjoyed a watch I'll tend not to sell it, but set it aside and often years later will come back into circulation and be worn regularly.

If it's a 'never in a million years', the trade-in option sounds the best way to go. It's a great example of a popular model, and you'll avoid taking a straight hit on the restock?

noelekal likes this.
  17. degminsec Dec 5, 2017

I've finally decided to let it go... but I'm past the return window at Crown and Caliber. It's really in beautiful condition - wondering if anyone else has any thoughts about how to "flip" it - at this point I think I've decided I'd rather get a couple of vintage watches for this kind of money. Is selling on Ebay a bad way to go? I have a couple hundred transactions with all 100% positive reviews - I know that it's risky to buy on Ebay but if I'm a trusted seller, is that a good way to sell this kind of watch? Some photos included to this post for your reference.

IMG_0505.jpeg IMG_2748.jpeg IMG_2781.jpeg IMG_2788.jpeg IMG_4917.jpeg IMG_6490.jpeg

18. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 5, 2017

Ask a mod for permission to sell it here.

19. sdre Dec 5, 2017

I've been there before. One too many times. Sometimes, you just gotta try it on a week or so before deciding if its for you.

E.g My tudor black bay, Seiko SLA017, Seadweller.

But that said, if you wish to sell this piece, you gotta ask Mods for permission to post on the FS page.

The other thing you could do, is to go to a dealer shop and see if there's soemthing else you prefer and trade in this piece and top up.

Sure there will be a loss, but like what the rest has mentioned, its a tuition fee and don't sweat over it.

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 5, 2017

Don't sell is my advice. Put it on a nice leather strap and give it another week or two. Then put it on a NATO and give it another week or two.

That buckle on the bracelet is the issue for getting under a shirt cuff and being cumbersome , not the watch. :whistling:

Nathan1967, Moadib and Foo2rama like this.