Forums Latest Members
  1. Vron Oct 2, 2013

[These posts were originally in a Sale Listing]

I like the watch but do feel that it's priced on a very high end.
    I already bought an unused solid gold Omega and am in market for a solid gold Rolex.
    My watchmaker has been warning me not to throw my money on solid gold watches...I just cannot seem to resist the luxury of being to wear beautiful and luxurious pieces of art... :)

If it was priced differently, I may even have bought this one...I am trying to resist the temptation... :)
    But seriously, it's no doubt that this is a beautiful watch.
    My wishes for a sucessful sale...I see you started the post back in June and now it's October.

2. Taze00 Oct 15, 2013

Why does he not advise solid gold watches?

3. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2013

Really, why would he do that? ::confused2::

4. Vron Oct 15, 2013

well! he says that I can find far better watches for better price if I don't just seek the solid gold one.
    But being brought up in an age when gold was symbol of luxury, I still prefer solid gold timepieces over even platinum ones.

His advice is if it a'nt solid gold patek or rolex, whatever you are paying over the gold cost...is mostly your losss...
    (only valid on vintage pieces though... )

But then again, I am new in the watch world and open to guidance from folks on this forum...
    I am seriously loving looking at the pictures of this beauty... :)
    If the price was somewhere...

5. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2013

I think your watchmaker is 180˚ wrong on this point. If the market ever disappears for vintage watches (see postage stamps, baseball cards, Ty Beanie Babies, etc), a gold watch still has the value of the gold. Despite what the Swiss would like you to believe, stainless steel is not a precious metal.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 15, 2013

but how much above the precious metal price are we paying?

lets compare a solid gold Titus (e.g the one I recently received from my grandfather:http://omegaforums.net/threads/what-we-all-hate-pls-help-me-id-these.7732/#post-91381) to a seamaster piepan, or a pie-pan deluxe. You are probably paying much less above gold weight for the titus (or a ladies watch), and thus if the market does disappear, your losses are minimal. For the seamaster piepan, or something like that, if all you are left with is gold value, you have lost a LOT of money.

(not that I'm about to stop buying gold watches!)

7. mac_omega Oct 16, 2013

Plus one here!

If you want technical interesting movement watches (e.g. 30 Rg chronometers, chronographs, moonphase or similar) buy them on decent price level in SS - I think they might keep some value even if the great wristwatch hype goes down - I do not think it will vanish totally. These movements are historical and technical masterpieces and have some "intrinsic value" unlike a piece of paper (collectible cards or stamps) and can be used daily.

If you buy precious metal watches now you have to spend considerably more money due to the current high metal price (which could fall dramatically if economy should recover one day - you ask when?..:cautious:).
    And for a grand luxe SM or Conny you have to pay high $$ for the design besides the scarcity of the model and the recent "desire" for these models among the collectors. I remember quite well the time (not so long ago) when nobody wanted to buy a gold watch with golden dial and bling bracelet - it had been a "no go".

Tastes concerning color of metal or size can change rapidly without prior warning ;)

just my 2 cents

8. Dablitzer Oct 16, 2013

I've owned a few gold watches in the past, and whilst I do love gold, there is nothing like a crisp steel watch on the wrist from the 50's! I have sold most of my gold watches now while the price to buy them is significantly high, at the moment, how long that will last I don't know? I only hope people who pay premium prices for their gold watches now realise the value back in the next 5 years or so. If you are looking for a secure long term investment I wouldn't put all your eggs in the vintage basket! I would say the "historically significant" watches like the Chronometres, Constellations, De Luxe, Grand Luxe and Pre moon Speedmasters, and anything which was a benchmark movement or a revolutionary at that time will always hold some value, be it intrinsically or otherwise because of scarcity vs. popular demand. Again, just my two cents and this theory isn't tried nor tested.

John R Smith likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

The market disappearing is really a bit of a non issue, prices on new Omega's have been going up significantly, and vintage models have been long undervalued. The key thing here is most gold Omegas are not that expensive compared to their steel versions. On Deluxes and Grand luxes you're not buying the metal or the case, you're buying the dial, which is unique to those models and always will be.

Personally I'll definitely continue buying solid gold watches, especially dress watches, Speedmasters, Daytonas and the like I love in steel, it makes perfect sense on a sports watch, but every dress piece I own or have owned has been either 14K or 18K.

BTW Constellation Deluxes in 18K for what they are, and the quality of watch they are, IMO are still undervalued, especially when you consider that a fairly beat up stainless or TT Datejust is the same money as a nice one.

10. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2013

Deluxes and Grand Luxes didn't come in stainless so it's a poor example. You're buying the watch at the price the market sets based on desireability more than the price of the gold.

hoipolloi likes this.
  11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 16, 2013

Yes. The difference in price between these two is about 3K, it's not the price of gold but the rarity, the desire of the crowd, the price set by the market at this moment.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 16, 2013

Gold watch price started to go north when eBay and Paypal accepted players from Asia, people from countries with gold loving culture like China, Viet Nam, Thailand, Indonesia etc are making more money than before and a gold 168005 has increased 3 times in price in the last 5 years.

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 16, 2013

Last year I bet that solid gold watches (especially Rolexes) price will go down with the dip of gold prices. How wrong I am. People buying solid gold watches knows they don't store value in gold. They buy design, desirability and prestige. Solid gold watches is a bad gold storage compare to gold bullion, coin and simple jewellery.
    Except for Patek Phillipe, solid gold watches is always in rarity compare to its stainless steel model siblings. The vintages are even so, because at some point in time, some morons (or smart?) will melt the case for the gold content Add that to highly sought model (Deluxe, Grand Luxe, Pie Pans, Speedmaster, Flightmaster) then you will have a stable, if not increasing watch price.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 16, 2013

You hit the bull eyes Hoi. That's also why Pie Pans prices are increasing...... the lucky dial.

15. Dablitzer Oct 16, 2013

So that's where all the nice watches are disappearing..... In to the depths of Asia :p In my comment above I am actually saying that the design, durability and prestige watches will always hold their value, perhaps even if gold does dip. They are still rare pieces.

16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 16, 2013

Gold (the metal) is currently undervalued due to blatant manipulation of the paper (gold) market. It will go far higher in value when the next crisis hits, and that crisis is not far off. When that happens, the value of 18k gold watches will increase significantly.

I generally prefer steel, but any good watch made from a substantial amount of gold will appreciate in value in the years to come because of the gold value alone.

17. Taze00 Oct 16, 2013

Gold filled and gold plated cases don't last that long. Rubbing makes them look poor in appearance. Gold doesn't have that downside.

Stainless steel is good for its endurance but scratches, and is hard to polish without some sort of minor reshaping occurring. A good stainless steel watch definitely has its place but not to replace a gold watch.

Don't get me wrong I own all of the above watches, however in the long run solid gold metals will always be the best choice. Really any precious metal is because it retains inherent value.

18. Taze00 Oct 16, 2013

Are freaking nuts gold is more expensive than it has ever been and not just dollar wise. Its been through the roof for a decade. It sounds like maybe your investors are tickling your ears.

19. Taze00 Oct 16, 2013

Don't forget India!! They are gold crazy! Of course I dont know if they can use the bay. However they do hold roughly a 1/7th of the worlds population.

20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 16, 2013

Apparently you haven't studied economic history (as it relates to gold) very closely, nor are you aware of the certainty of another major crisis. Best of luck with your stocks, bonds, and paper fiat currency!