Forums Latest Members

Soliciting community's feedback on this c1959 ultra thin

1. tommymcd Nov 1, 2016

-[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The serial number places this watch somewhere 1958-1959. It appears to be an Ultra Thin model circulating in that era (one was owned by JFK i believe). Caliber 511

Other thoughts:
    - I couldn't make much sense of the case numbers. What can they tell me?
    - Dial seems legit. Is there much chance it was refinished?
    - What more information can I find about this particular caliber?
    - Is crown ok?
    - Strap is non-original, but buckle might be omega. I have some doubts, what do you think?
    - Overall impressions: Where would you place this watch in its comtemporary lineup of Omega dress watches? Would you want this watch?

thanks

Edited Nov 1, 2016
    Edward53 likes this.
  2. tommymcd Nov 1, 2016

Please be brutally honest about this speciman. if you think it's fake, let me know; i have applied all my skepticism, and no major alarms went off

3. François Pépin Nov 1, 2016

No fake!

The dial does not look redone. With this ref, I have seen dials with or without a "Swiss made", is there one on yours - I cannot not see ?

The train wheels bridge seems to have been replaced. But the movement is correct for this ref.

The case looks good.

I do not like the script on the buckle. But it may be the picture.

So if you like this watch, I guess it depends on the price...

Edited Nov 1, 2016
  4. tommymcd Nov 1, 2016

I'm told SWISS MADE is there, under the 6 o'clock. What is the ref # for this? maybe I can find more information that way.

So overall you'd say it's in good condition?

(btw i just won this. Should i disclose how much i paid? does that go against the grain here?)

5. ulackfocus Nov 1, 2016

It's probably not an authentic buckle. As noted above, one of the bridges is a different color which could denote a replacement.

Other than that, it seems okay. Here's the link to the reference 14371 on the Ω vintage database:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14347/

It shows the caliber 511 is correct inside a snap in back.

tommymcd likes this.
  6. François Pépin Nov 1, 2016

The ref s 14371. You can google that.

The condition of the case seems good. But I cannot say that for the dial - need better pic.

I pay much attention to the movement of the watches I buy, so I would not buy one with a bridge of a different color from the rest of the movement. But that is me and the bridge seems correct. So if you do not mind, go ahead!

7. tommymcd Nov 1, 2016

I'm not at that level of mechanical sophistication yet, which I suppose does blunt my tastes.

Here's some more pics of dial:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. François Pépin Nov 1, 2016

The dial looks rather good. But is weird we cannot see the "Swiss Made". Maybe because of the glass.

Overall, the external parts look rather good.

tommymcd likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Nov 1, 2016

SWISS MADE is barely visible in this picture:

s-l1600.jpg

You can see the top of the letters and the reflection in the crystal retaining ring.

Again, the watch looks perfectly authentic to me. The only thing I'm concerned about is that it has an aftermarket (i.e. fake) buckle.

10. François Pépin Nov 1, 2016

I agree.

11. tommymcd Nov 1, 2016

Before this, I'd never have thought fake buckles existed.

EDIT: Take that back. Of course they're produced. One way or another, it doesn't bother me.

12. GuiltyBoomerang Nov 2, 2016

If you are on the lookout for a period correct buckle, should look like this:

20161102_223409.jpg

20161102_223436.jpg

tommymcd likes this.