Forums Latest Members

SOLD! Vintage Omega Genève ref. 2748 (Jumbo!)

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 4, 2016

Yes, this is the Omega grail for collectors, like me, who love simple, understated, elegant, top-quality watches from the '50s. These Genève models were (excluding the Rg chronometres) the top-of-the-line manual wind watches produced by Omega during the '50s. They were the Omega version of the Longines Flagship, and, in style, the Patek Philippe Calatravas of the day.

The cases and dials were "Deluxe" executions (note the subtle chamfers on the lugs), including lovely gold markers which reflect light differently than steel. They are powered by typically excellent 30mm movements, in this case a cal. 286 with a serial #14xxxxxx, dating it to the early/mid-'50s, and underscoring that this is an early example of the model line.

These models were produced in two sizes, 34mm and 36mm. The latter were low production, and rarely appear on the market, especially in good condition. I have acquired three of these larger versions over many years, and am now offering one for sale for the first time.

I like to be conservative in my assessments when selling, so I'd characterize the dial, hands and case as being in very good condition throughout. There are no major flaws, and it is a beautiful, original example. The dial is patinated, as can be seen in the photos, but sympathetically in my view. The case may have received a light polish at some point.

it is a very attractive and substantial watch on the wrist, and the case retains its integrity, as those which are over-polished lose the chamfers. I have owned and worn fine vintage dress models from many manufacturers, including PP and V&C, and I honestly believe that these early Genève models hold their own. This Jumbo version also wears larger than its dimensions, in my opinion.

The movement is clean and in excellent condition, though I do not know the last date of service, and would recommend one if the watch is to be worn regularly.

I am not aware of another example of this reference for sale anywhere in the world at the moment, and again, they rarely appear. Luckily for the next owner, though, I am selling the watch, rather than a dealer. I'll take $1850 and ship EMS insured from my home in Portugal (so no customs fees for EU buyers). Wire transfer or split Paypal fees.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited May 5, 2016
    jam karet, Tritium, NT931 and 13 others like this.
  2. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member May 4, 2016

Always loved this model.

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 4, 2016

This is an amazing watch that VERY rarely comes up for sale. If it were not for other obligations, I would be a buyer so this example could join my 2754s. GLWS!!

Bill Sohne likes this.
  4. tmw57 May 4, 2016

If I didn't already own one I'd be all over this...the 36 mm Geneve is an amazing watch!

Still very tough for me to resist: great watch, great price, great seller.

GLWS

Bill Sohne likes this.
  5. NT931 May 6, 2016

Arrowheads! Crosshairs! An attractively light patina! And jumbo case too... Just beautiful!

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 7, 2016

Now sold to a forum member. Thanks to all for your support, and interest. And thanks to the forum for hosting. :thumbsup:

sliceoftime_ likes this.