Forums Latest Members

SOLD! Vintage LONGINES 30CH Chronograph – 37mm and 18k gold!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 11, 2017

Up for grabs is this very nice, honest and original Longines 30CH chronograph dating to 1948/49. It is conservatively in very good to condition throughout. The 18k yellow gold, snap-back case measures 37mm excluding the crown. I believe that it has never been polished, as the original (and fine) contrasting finish on the beautiful, ornate lugs, bezel and mid-case and back all remain intact. There are a few very small nicks and light scratches that can be seen under magnification, but the case looks very good to the naked eye, and especially given its age. Note also that the crown is original and (correctly) unsigned.

The original, interestingly designed dial shows signs of age, including what I would describe as an evenly distributed, unobtrusive patina. Note the use of three different styles of markers, all serving useful purposes. The Arabics at 12 and 6 are needed to balance the design, and give the dial weight; the four batons add interest and draw the eye towards the sub-dials; while the four dot markers neatly frame the sub-dials, without interfering with their utility. Also note that the small (chronograph) minute hand is different in design from the (left sub-dial) second-hand, a distinction that, in my view, is typically found in the best designed chronographs.

The 30CH movement, as most readers will know, is one of the finest chronograph movements produced by any Swiss manufacturer during the golden age of watchmaking (i.e. 1940-60). The caliber was introduced in 1947, roughly 11 years after the 13ZN had been introduced. They have 17 jewels, a diameter of 29.80 mm, and height of 6.20 mm. They were produced for approximately 20 years, and were the last of the great, in-house Longines chronograph calibers.

According to the excellent Longines Brand Heritage department, this watch was first sold in Belgium:

"Originally, the serial number 7'654'833 identifies a wrist-chronograph in 18ct gold bearing the reference 5966. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 30CH and was invoiced on 27 August 1949 to the company Bessire, which was at that time our agent for Belgium."

This archival information, coupled with the (1948) date of the movement serial production number, suggests that this was an early example of the 30CH. The other important point to note about this particular movement is that it was finished with superb Côtes de Genève. This type of top-class finishing is not often found on chronograph movements, as there are so many parts to coordinate. You will be able to get a feel for the beauty of the finishing through the photos below, but it is even more impressive in person.

The movement works well, and the chronograph hands reset perfectly. I do not, however, know the last date of service, and would recommend that the new owner minimally have a watchmaker check to see whether a basic service is due.

The watch is located in Lisbon, Portugal, and I will ship FedEx (insured) worldwide at my asking price, which is $4400 USD. Bank transfer preferred, though Paypal may be possible.

Note that there are currently a few 30CH for sale on eBay and Chrono24, but, from what I can gather, there are none of comparable quality and originality available for close to my fair price.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Regards,

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 13, 2017

One bump before I offer the watch elsewhere, and I will consider serious offers!

Greatpa likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 13, 2017

OHPF!

tmw57, Vitezi and dougiedude like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 13, 2017

Glad someone here got this. Lovely patina.

marco and JohnSteed like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 15, 2017

Very nice, congrats to buyer and seller!