Forums Latest Members

Sold a watch on eBay, buyer says a function "should not be like this"/"misleading"

1. GuiltyBoomerang Jul 5, 2018

I am currently wondering how to best respond to the buyer of one of my watches on eBay recently, a Titus Calypsomatic 8940.

I noted in the description that while manual winding could be done, the crown needed to be rocked back and forth as it locked in after twisting too much whilst in the winding position:

Screenshot_20180705-133430_eBay.jpg

The buyer received the watch, and has now told me that it is odd that the crown is like that. I responded by telling them I stated it in the description and that my watchmaker had noted it to me when I collected it, so as far as I knew it was like that. They then said they understood and reiterated that the watch shouldn't be doing it.

I am currently trying to figure out how to word a response or what I can offer, seeing as they bought it and my description says no refunds are allowed unless the watch is not as described. One of my options would be to send it back to me to pass onto my watchmaker to be checked, with all costs incurred by them. I just want to know how I can word it in a way that will be sincere (and not insulting.)

Responses are much appreciated!

Screenshot_20180705-133520_eBay.jpg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 5, 2018

Tell him you clearly noted it in the description. eBay can see this and your issue with something clearly noted. If you want to unwind the transaction you can ship it back at your cost and I will refund minus all fees.

There is no way to argue against that. And no harm no foul. Nothing for him to complain about.

3. GuiltyBoomerang Jul 5, 2018

Hi @Foo2rama

I have responded to the buyer with the offer and will await their response.

Your words are much appreciated :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 5, 2018

If the buyer digs in and files a claim, regardless of listing wording I would expect eBay to enforce a return unfortunately. They seem to routinely side with the buyer regardless of circumstances

Edited Jul 5, 2018
  5. Lucasssssss Jul 5, 2018

Even though I always put no returns on my watches sold on eBay, if the buyers are unhappy with it I will usually take it back. In my eyes it just isn't worth the hassle of the back and forth with the eBay disputes team, who usually rule in the buyers favour anyway. Your millage may vary.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  6. Screwbacks Jul 5, 2018

it's a very nice watch. it's the buyer's loss if he returns it for a curable minor issue at his end.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  7. Georgieboy58 Jul 5, 2018

I don't get the point at all. If I wind my watch, I turn the crown forth and back.
    So even if it should catch the lock down thread on the forward movement (stem slighly too short?) it would immediately unscrew on the following back movement.

blubarb and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  8. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2018

Hmmmm, your Titus Calypsomatic sold for $710? Is there a zero missing? According to @t_swiss_t's listing for $8500 (with one bump that had dropped to $7500, but was edited to remove the price drop), you sold it too low!

https://omegaforums.net/threads/titus-calypsomatic-7985.77288/

..... or maybe t_swiss_t accidentally added a zero to his asking price.

Either way, I certainly hope the buyer of t_swiss_t's watch doesn't see this thread and request a 90% refund!

MaiLollo and watchknut like this.
  9. GuiltyBoomerang Jul 5, 2018

@ulackfocus haha no, my model was one of those later models without the Rolex Sub looks and lack of gilt dial as well as Felsa movement rather than ETA. Hence why not worth as much...none the less, tastes change (and money gets tighter...)

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2018

The real question is why your watchmaker didn't resolve the problem instead of giving ti back to you like this. Stem is cut too short and there are a couple of ways of fixing this...

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 5, 2018

Just like those posts where the author is sourcing components on behalf of his watchmaker.

12. trackpad Jul 5, 2018

Not to insult anyone out of turn or without the facts, but as matter of course one of the first things I leaned about this game is to heavily discount the word “watchmaker”. Discount may or may not apply here.

13. tikkathree Jul 5, 2018

It seems to me that you gave sufficient information in the listing to provide a knowledgable buyer to ask pertinent questions before placing his bid.
    I'd be getting a feel for why he didn't do so whilst at the same time I think I'd be marking heel shaped marks and lining up in a pre-emptive strike with EBay after all, the watch is as described.

blubarb likes this.
  14. rcs914 Jul 5, 2018

Off topic, but what am I missing with the history of Titus that would make one worth $8500?

15. shishy www.hpmor.com Jul 5, 2018

Instagram hype + 7985 reference is rare

Mtek likes this.
  16. GuiltyBoomerang Jul 5, 2018

The buyer contacted me earlier today:

Screenshot_20180706-063402_Gmail.jpg

Well, I did ask him at the time whether the stem could be swapped, to which he said it was a feature of the watch.

And yes @Larry S I do recognise I have sourced parts for my watches (one in particular) for this watchmaker, and I have no qualms with that. I have/do use other watchmakers who have either asked me to locate a part or have gone out to get it themselves.

@trackpad this watchmaker was recommended to me by a few collectors and his workshop can get quite busy on the weekend with queues to come in and see him. I can see major differences between levels of service by other watchmakers of course, especially in the documentation process.

Dre, Foo2rama and trackpad like this.
  17. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2018

Don't know - but I'm certainly missing it too.... along with a lot of other long term members who were all wondering via PM. (and 'wondering' is the nicest way it can be said)

18. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2018

THEY ARE COOL watches.... wish I had one.....

have a Technos somewhere...

best

Bill

19. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2018

Well, @GuiltyBoomerang seems to have one available soon (after he receives it from being returned).

20. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2018

Buyer is keepering it as a reply get got from ebay .,...

best

bill

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.