Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1953 Omega Seamaster 2635-7 bumper exc. original

1. Alphasports Apr 14, 2020

SOLD ON EBAY, thanks for the inquiries.

Rare (I'm told), Beautiful and Iconic Vintage Omega Seamaster Ref. 2635 “Bumper” Automatic, Swiss, (probably) 1953.

I bought this at Timemerchants.ca in Montreal as a Christmas 2019 gift for my wife but it went over like a lead balloon so I'm selling it to recoup some of the expense (I gave her cash instead!).

The watch is in excellent original condition and it was apparently serviced in Fall 2019, as stated by the dealer whom I trust. Case appears unpolished with razor sharp lugs & edges. The crystal has a few light scratches but I have not attempted any polishing. It has a new black ostrich strap and comes in a modern Omega service pouch, no other packaging or papers.

Let me know if you want more detailed/better pics. Those of the open movement were taken by the dealer when I bought it, I do not have case-opening tools so those pics will have to suffice.

See pics below, sorry for lousy focus, let me know if you want more.

Model: Omega Seamaster 2635-7, serial 13365628, 19,800bph (last -7 digit unconfirmed but based on similar serials it seems correct, possibly a -8)
    Movement: Omega Calibre 354, Certified “Bumper” Automatic Self-Winding
    Case: 32.5 mm diameter (excluding the winding crown) x 40 mm Length (lug-to-lug), 18mm strap lug
    Original factory rating of 30m water resistance
    Vintage: Early 1950's (1952-3?), originally produced using cals 351-354, from 1949-1954
    All original except for new ostrich strap made in France
    Material: Stainless Steel
    Dial: Silvered with rarer Breguet numerals and Shark-Tooth Batons, fully original (has developed a beautiful slightly yellowed patina)
    Condition: Excellent, Fully Serviced by Master Swiss Watchmaker in Fall 2019 (Montreal).
    Omega page: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-ck-2635

Original ad copy from Timemerchant's ad in Dec 2019:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Launched in 1948 to concur with Omega’s Centennial celebrations, the Seamaster line issued as a civilian version inspired by the waterproof wristwatches Omega had produced for the British military in the latter part of WWII. The new design concept was: “A robust yet elegant watch for active individuals who want a watch for “town, sea and country”.

All the early Seamaster watches were equipped with self-winding movements, and rapidly found favor in the marketplace for their robustness, accuracy and reliability.

Moreover, in those days water-resistant watches generally had lead or shellac gaskets to hermetically seal the watch case… and these were susceptible to leakage resulting from temperature changes… the Seamaster watchcase was sealed with a rubber O-ring gasket of the type that had proven its abilities in submarines during the Second World War. Thus, in 1955 the Seamaster achieved its first diving-record, when Australian Gordon McLean wore one to the depth of 62.5 meters.

Additionally, the Seamaster was independently tested by the Swiss Laboratory for Watch Research which subjected 50 cases to tests at a simulated depth of 60 meters. After temperature changes of -40° C to 50° C in quick succession, the cases showed no sign of water infiltration. In fact, the engineers at OMEGA were so confident of the Seamaster that one flew the Polar Route over the North Atlantic in 1956… attached to the outside of a Douglas DC6 aircraft!

The Omega Seamaster also is Iconic for its role as the trusted watch of 007 agent James Bond… Of which the Seamaster Ref. 2635 is the venerable grandfather!

2635_face1.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    2635_back1.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_20191219_123301.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_20191219_135611.jpg
    Edited May 4, 2020