Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1930s Lowenthal (Bovet) Mono-Rattrapante Valjoux 84

1. septentrio Nov 19, 2018

This one can leave my collection. It concerns a rare 1930s Lowenthal (Bovet) Mono-Rattrapante with Valjoux 84. One of the most collectable chronograph movements out there.

The case is a very large (40mm without crown) plated 'flat bezel' example. There is some loss of plating and a bunch of light scratches but nothing too serious/alarming. The glass is new. The bars are fixed. All 5 hands are blued and in nice condition. The dial is showing a nice even patina, mostly lighter stains but also some scratches (see at the outside border of the dial between 7 and 8). Still nice to look at but definitly aged.

The movement was serviced by my watchmaker, yet he has no experience with this movement and did not manage to adjust and regulate it fully as should. The movement is complete, and thus still has the very rare spring-loaded wheel (making sure the rattrapante function is working). The upper button is used to start, stop and reset the chrono. While the chrono is running, the lower button can be used to 'pause' the chrono sweep seconds hand, and upon releasing it again, the chrono hand will jump to the position it would have been without the lower button interference. This was a system to do multiple time-readings shortly after each other. As I said, my watchmaker is not too familiar with this movement, which is why it operates as should, yet the reset is a bit flimsy (not always perfectly to 0,..) and I also feel the rattrapante function is not completely time-accurate. The thin crown on the upper button has no function (cannot be pulled like with other iterations of this movement). The movement runs well and keeps time.

The watch is offered without strap, so head-only. Price is 750 euro without shipping. I always ship bomb-proof. The watch is located in Belgium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Nov 19, 2018
    gminnj, bardamu, 1980sNYC and 4 others like this.
  2. septentrio Nov 21, 2018

The watch is sold.