Forums Latest Members

SOLD! – FS: Rare Vintage Jumbo Bumper Seamaster Chronometre!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 13, 2017

Up for sale for the first time is this beautiful, early and rare Omega bumper Seamaster Chronometre. I use the word “rare” advisedly, and for the following reasons.

These “jumbo” bumper chronometers were uncommon to begin with. Quoting one of the Omegaforums resident experts, @MSNWatch, from a related thread :

The jumbo (36mm) bumper chronometres (most were badged seamaster but a few were earlier and were seamasters in all respects except for the label) are very uncommon pieces particularly with original dials in good shape like this one. In talking to other seamaster bumper chronometre enthusiasts, we estimate the jumbo versions to account for a small fraction of total production of these chronometres - perhaps 1-5% with the remaining 95-99% in the more common 34mm standard case size.

So, it is clear that these are minimally uncommon. I am tempted to call this one “rare” because of the steel case, textured dial, and specific type of pink gold furniture (i.e. markers and hands). In fact, I have yet to find another example.

As a related aside, I wrote a post about this watch and the use of the phrase “dial furniture” over at The Purists a few years ago. Here’s a link:

http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf.forumpost/fi-677/ti-963108/pi-6698058/

This is a reference 2567, and, as mentioned above, it is the larger, 36mm version of the bumper chronometers. As you can see from the photos below, the case is double-referenced, but this was not unusual, and there are others with the same references. This example dates to around 1953.

I would say that the watch is in excellent overall condition. I believe it to be fully original, with the probable exception of the crystal. Also, as denoted by the small, distinctive punch mark on the upper left lug, it was first sold in Portugal, and it has spent its life here thus far.

The 36mm "HF" (Huguenin Frères) case is in excellent condition, with only a few fine, light scratches on the outer rim of the back. They could easily be polished out if desired, but I see no reason to do so.

The dial is very good to excellent, and very pleasing to the naked eye. As mentioned in the above-linked post, I find the combination of the steel case and pink gold markers and hands to be beautiful, and especially outdoors in natural light. Also note that this was the more elegant dial variation in that there was no lume applied. The markers are faceted, and distinctly beautiful, as they catch the light from every angle. I can guarantee that the watch will look better in person than in the photos supplied!

The movement is also in excellent condition, and was serviced about two and a half years ago. It is a cal. 354 with a swan-neck-regulator.

Given the relative rarity of this model and particular variation, pricing it isn’t easy. My view is that mid-century chronometers are generally undervalued in the current, largely fashion-driven market. So, bear in mind that for the price of a “pretty”, but otherwise unexceptional, 'off-brand' vintage chronograph or diver, this is an opportunity to own a rare example of the type of watch that was rightly considered to be the pinnacle of precision watchmaking by Omega during the Golden Era.

I am asking $2200 for this Seamaster Chronometer, and will include EMS (express) shipping at that price. The watch is located with me in Lisbon, Portugal, so EU members will incur no additional customs duties.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 13, 2017
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 13, 2017

::love::

Syrte likes this.
  3. tmw57 Dec 13, 2017

Stunning...

Syrte likes this.
  4. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 13, 2017

That was fast! Beautiful rare piece, Congrats to the buyer!

JM251 likes this.
  5. micampe Dec 13, 2017

Damn. I was going to email you after breakfast.

6. tmw57 Dec 13, 2017

I was going to send this message.

"I need to put my money where my mouth is....pm sent.."

And this is what happens when I hesitate. It would have made a very worthy addition to my "Tony C." collection..

Oh well...

Congrats to buyer and seller.

Edited Dec 13, 2017
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 21, 2017

Wow.

8. Nathan1967 Dec 21, 2017

Can the mods add a “crying” emoji please? For when I miss stuff like this.

cosmofox likes this.
  9. Vron Jan 20, 2018

beautiful :)