Forums Latest Members
  1. Dougall Dec 9, 2015

Hello all,

Just received my first vintage Speedmaster after years of lusting after one. A beautiful example of a 321. Saw it advertised in a local auction that was selling an elderly ladies jewelry and her husbands 2 Omegas. This 67 Speedy and an equally original 66 SM300. I believe he was the original owner, but no way of proving that. The auctioneer told me he cleaned a hell of an amount of grime off it, and I have taken most of the rest off now too. Had a really scratched up crystal too which suggested and led to the tag "sock drawer" speedy.

First up was the Speedy which was the one I really wanted and fortunately got, but just got pushed out of the race for the 300 due to lack of funds. To be honest I don't give a damn I missed that one, especially since the 321 has turned up in all its glory. I bought unseen but some photos pointed to an unmolested watch, and thanks to a number of votes of confidence from some of you fabulous members, I took the plunge.

I posted this thread about a confusing serial number but thankfully you members were right and said don't worry, and it has turned up with 26xxxxxx which is obviously correct for the piece
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/1967-speedy-with-a-321-dating-1963-photos-added.32174/#post-361924

I'm no watchmaker but I think the movement looks great. Made my heart stop when I got case opened. A thing of real beauty.

As far as I can tell, the case hasn't been polished, edges sharp and a bit dented, and the lume on the dial is just lovely. A pale yellow colour matched on the chrono hand, no hints of a relume, and I think the rest look original too.

The bezel is the appropriate DO90, slight damage at 120 but I can easily live with that, as on the wrist you barely notice it. Otherwise pretty great condition I think.

I'm not that clear on what an original crown looks like or the pushers should be but I think they look pretty original. Especially the pushers. I'd love some thoughts on this please.

Crystal is an original Omega one but very scratched on arrival. Gave it a bit of a touch up but needs more work. What do you reckon, to replace or just polish the crystal?

Came with an original 1039 bracelet and correct end pieces too, but I've slipped it onto a plain simple black NATO that works for me.

I have spent hours (days/weeks/months) on the forum, and reading the amazing reference speedmaster101.com and have really thrown myself into understanding what to look for in these pieces. Hopefully it has been worth it.

I'm extremely grateful to all the members who are available to offer their knowledge and opinions on these addictive pieces, and I'd value your thoughts again.

Regardless if it's not quite perfect, I love it and didn't pay over the top for it. It seems to wear much smaller than I thought it would, and has a delicacy to it that I didn't expect. Mind you I have just taken off the beast of a Precista PRS82 which is a block of metal compared to this instrument. 20151208_105545[1].jpg

Speedy pictured at bottom with its asymmetrical chrono mate.

Thanks
    IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    Pictures don't do these two justice. The CWC is an issued 6BB birth year 74 with amazing gilt dial.

Thanks for reading.

TexOmega, adam78, NT931 and 23 others like this.
  2. TLIGuy Dec 9, 2015

Very nice. Congratulations on your new addition. It looks fantastic.

Edited Dec 9, 2015
    Dougall and tomo like this.
  3. Brench Dec 9, 2015

great! nice find and enjoy wearing it

Dougall likes this.
  4. emilio Dec 9, 2015

Awesome watch in an awesome condition!

Dougall likes this.
  5. marturx Dec 9, 2015

Just awesome!

Congratulation on a very nice catch! Thanks for sharing your story too, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

6. Pahawi Dec 9, 2015

Looks great - congrats:thumbsup:

Dougall likes this.
  7. Dgercp Dec 9, 2015

Beautiful watch and well worth all the homework/effort.
    Here is mine, slightly newer with the squared off chrono hand. I like your chrono hand better :).
    image.jpeg

Dougall likes this.
  8. M'Bob Dec 9, 2015

Nice...and best part, no Uncle involved.

Dougall, tomo, Tritium and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cal_321 Dec 9, 2015

Great watch. I would check if the Omega-logo on the crystal is an old one with flat feet. It's the same thing like the original flat feet crown (which you got): They're ultimate rare! You can think about to use a new crystal and keep the old one in the drawer...

Dougall likes this.
  10. abrod520 Dec 9, 2015

All parts are original! Congratulations - it's an awesome watch and if it's anything like mine, it'll be super addictive to wear! The crystal looks OK enough to me from your photos, but only you can tell if you'd prefer a new one. I had the crystal on mine replaced (but kept the old one) and I enjoy seeing the dial in all its glory :)

11. ibis888 Dec 9, 2015

Great looking watch. I agree, when I recently acquired my first Speedmaster I found it to be less bulky and more delicate than I had thought.. A good thing!

Edited Dec 9, 2015
    Dougall likes this.
  12. michaelmc Dec 9, 2015

Nice catch, wear it well

Dougall likes this.
  13. Davidt Dec 9, 2015

Very nice, congrats. Always better if you're able to get it from the owner, scratches, dirt and all!

The crown looks original as well.

Give the crystal some polywatch and elbow grease and see how it comes up. I assume you're sending it for a service anyway, so if the crystal isn't up to par, a new one isn't expensive.

Dougall likes this.
  14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 9, 2015

Killer watch! Always nice to find those at local auctions. Congrats

Dougall likes this.
  15. alam Dec 9, 2015

No need to worry about that, you will find a perfect -67 Speedy only when you travel back in time to the same year...

and that's what's important! great looking Speedy you got there! :thumbsup:

Dougall likes this.
  16. tomo Dec 9, 2015

That's amazing! That lume is perfect. Patina, patina, patina. So very jealous. Beautiful piece. Congrats.

Dougall likes this.
  17. Dougall Dec 9, 2015

Thanks guys for all the great comments and thoughts. I feel very lucky indeed. All those days of research invested were worthwhile.

18. Dougall Dec 9, 2015

I'm pretty nervous to get it serviced but will do in time. All the reports of the disastrous jobs some have seen have made me gun shy. I think I'll take my time to work out where to send it.

Any ideas for skilled enough guys in New Zealand?

19. Davidt Dec 9, 2015

I'd be much more nervous about running it frequently if it's been sat in a drawer for 20+ years.

20. Dougall Dec 9, 2015

Thanks for the advice. Being my first really old serious watch I wasn't sure. Chronograph hand seems a little jumpy but keeps great time.

Had a watchmaker look quickly at it when he opened it. He thought it looked clean but could definitely do with an lube.

For sure I'm going to have to find the right person here.