Forums Latest Members
  1. Doctore Mar 12, 2016

New to Omega, watch collecting, and this forum. So, I may get a lot wrong off the bat; apologies. Here goes. Today, I came across a new Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M Olympic Collection Sochi 2014. The store is willing to let it go at 30% the original price. I don't know why it's been in the store for two years, but that works in the buyers favor at this point. However, is there something wrong with this watch? Why couldn't they get rid of it? They only produced 2014 of this model.

I have the James Bond Limited Edition Aqua Terra and thought this would be another nice piece to have in my young collection. Does anyone think this would be a good buy? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 12, 2016

The reason the watch has been collecting dust is rather simple. No one wants to buy it. Unless you really like that watch, 30% off of retail is no bargain. As I no longer buy new watches, I am unfamiliar with current retail discounts. In 2014, the 3570.50 standard Speedmaster Moonwatch, a popular watch, was being discounted by dealers from 30% to 40%.

Ask for 50% of retail. You may just get it.

Doctore likes this.
  3. Doctore Mar 12, 2016

Thanks. But could you guess why wouldn't anyone what a PO limited edition?

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2016

AD's are not discounting near as much anymore at least from what I heard from them. Omega wants more of a Rolex model hence the purge a few years back.

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 13, 2016

I think the LEs are not so limited in number. 8 Bond editions since 1995, Olympics collections every two years, others perhaps and what seems to happen is that many owners sell their LE on the used market to get the latest one. They don't appear to be keepsakes. The production runs are not that small either.

Doctore likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 13, 2016

Who's going to buy a Sochi during, Omega,s Rio Olympics campaign ;)

watchme likes this.
  7. Doctore Mar 13, 2016

Got it. This may be only my third watch purchase overall. I was thinking I like the POs, this one (new) is at a discounted price, and it's from a limited run; so, it's a good buy.

Thanks.

8. Doctore Mar 13, 2016

I haven't been able to locate a pre-owned / certified / still under warranty PO for the same price. Most of the POs I've seen from reputable sellers, still providing a two-year warranty, range between 4-6. More interested in the price and warranty than the Olympic tie in.

9. igatomic Mar 13, 2016

The 45.6 mm might be limiting as well...watches (at least some other brands) seem to be trending smaller again.

10. Doctore Mar 13, 2016

Great point, thank you.

11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 20, 2016

yep, if really interested, def. push for 50% off... if not - walk ... don't get emotional about it ... evtl. leave a business card if they change their minds :thumbsup:

point is ... AD's (unlike us) ain't hoarders and collectors. They are business people - the guy paid the watch FULLY already 2 years ago to Omega and might just take a stance "I'd better take whatever I can get" ... and 2k out is better than 4k out

He knows NO regular joe will buy this ... that's just like buying leftover x-mas chocolates with santa on it in march ... It is still 100% "good" but nobody wants it ..

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 20, 2016

Lowflight, Taddyangle and Doctore like this.
  13. Doctore Mar 21, 2016

Thanks, I appreciate it. That's a great picture also.

Read an article about the five types of watches for a collector. They are, according to the article:

Chrono, Diver, Dress, Sport, and Unique.

What are your thoughts?

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 21, 2016

15. bender.folder Mar 22, 2016

May I add this Sochi PO has a plain caseback ? If you favor the PO look with a bit less thickness this is the model to consider.

Also the seamaster logo is written in red, its a cool change from Orange.
    I bet at time everyone was astonished by the sapphire caseback and the 8500 caliber being displayed and those wanting a plain caseback went for the previous model with the 2500cal. I'd go with the Sochi one more for its plain caseback and ask for a better discount since no one bought it.

Try a 50% , say you will pay in cash today and get it off the shelf for them :).

16. Flingit1200s Mar 22, 2016

Great looking watch. Often I feel that the LE's are too bold for my taste but this one is nice!

17. Flingit1200s Mar 22, 2016

upload_2016-3-22_9-23-37.png

upload_2016-3-22_9-24-1.png
    From Omegas site