Forums Latest Members
  1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 19, 2013

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 19, 2013

Beautiful, but wrong bracelet, maybe a service dial, hands appear more aged than dial,

Is this the world's most beautiful Franken?

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 19, 2013

Are you sure it is franken? Looks original to me.

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 19, 2013

I'm not sure, I first listed this on "recommended" because I thought it was all good. The bracelet should be an 1170/625 but that easily could be a dealer switch. (I love the bracelet they used)
    But........that dial, I own an original 145.020 and have seen a bunch. The "swiss made" has always been by the tachy ring, often partially obscured. Shouldn't lumed dials from about 1970 always have the "T's"? Also, the only dial I've seen without "Seamaster" was a service dial, which is what got me to thinking.

If it is a franken, I'd love to know where he got that case!

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 19, 2013

Well I had a similar question with this:
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/opinions-on-my-nos-soccer-please.7851/
    i I didn't settle on an opinion yet.

however one concept has risen to the top of my consciousness. That is, a NOS watch should have all it's paperwork and box, surely? why would it not? At least something, an omega bag, even an internal packaging. But nothing? I just don't think a genuine NOS comes with nothing.

mine did not, and more and more I feel it is assembled.

Still lovely, but assembled outside the factory.

SpikiSpikester and UncleBuck like this.
  6. pascs Nov 19, 2013

I think its just an assembled watch using NOS parts and an old movement, you can see the movement screws are well used

I've seen these NOS dial before and I dont like the way it doesnt have Seamaster written on it, just seems like its not complete without it

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 19, 2013

NOS parts for this ref have been available on eBAY from a seller in Australia. I'm with pascs on this. Quite likely that this has been assembled from NOS parts.

8. lando Nov 21, 2013

Maybe I'm wrong but not for the first time I see an auctiontext including the term "NOS condition", while it should read "NOS" only. To me this this sounds a little like "it is like NOS".

I feel that sellers who use that term are wrong in doing so, as "like new old stock" is meaningless, but maybe they think it is clever to do so.

What do you think?

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2013

It is word manipulation. NOS means NOS & it should come with original papers as those would be part of the issued but unsold stock from the factory.

As far as I'm concerned "Like NOS" means " I wish I could say it's NOS but I can't" and "NOS Condition" means "It isn't NOS & there's something I'm trying to avoid saying".

Spacefruit and stefan like this.
  10. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2013

Who's the judge of what's "like" mint, or "like" new old stock? That's an easy one to answer: the buyer. There's not a damn thing we can do to change seller semantics except protect the n00bs in our little ΩF family from getting taken. If there's money involved in a certain area, there will be shenanigans.

To me, a complete watch is NOS when it comes with all the trimmings - like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's New Old Stock - a dealer's stock sitting around unsold for years, even with the hangtags. Otherwise it should be described as "restored with leftover new parts" or something similar.

JimInOz, CdnWatchDoc and Spacefruit like this.
  11. pascs Nov 21, 2013

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2013

Yea its a bit of a weird thing, my best guess is later on it was a bit weird that these things were really called Seamasters when really they have almost no water resistance at all.

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 22, 2013

Sorry – I only looked at the thread because I thought you had said "Soccer mom".

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2013

Those can often be redials too FYI

Spacefruit likes this.
  15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 22, 2013

LOL! True, but as long as they're well-lubricated...

Privateday7 likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2013

Like they say, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker".