Forums Latest Members

So - would you refinish this case? [Lemania triple date]

1. seekingseaquest Jan 25, 2023

This came up in another thread but would like to get a broader POV. I’m about to send this Lemania triple date out for service, and I’m debating if I should have the case repaired. I’d like to keep the case largely as is, with only repair of the damaged sections.
    18A0F886-F25A-40F7-875C-B05DAD2B2A72.jpeg

Some collectors recommended laser welding and then re-brushing. Or, would you propose another solution such as a polish of the damaged areas that won’t entirely fix the damage but may make it less obvious?

My POV - the bezel damage doesn’t really bother me as it isn’t that noticeable, but I’m torn on what to do about the top right lug.

See top of the top right lug, and less so the inside of the top left lug:
    CE89D042-E46D-4459-806B-16A94E919E36.jpeg

See the damage on the bezel, just below the crystal:
    8FE4709B-D0FB-401E-83AD-D0186E9ED2B0.jpeg

2. gbesq Jan 25, 2023

You might want to send photos of the case to Tanner Morehouse at TM Watch in Fargo, ND for his opinion. I don't know of any shop that does better work on case restoration and refinishing than they do. Amazing work.

janice&fred and connieseamaster like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 25, 2023

Personally, unless this is to be a permanent member of your collection, I’d service the movement and do nothing. If you sell it, you will have to disclose the case work and either way you are going to take a hit on sell price. If you love this watch and its a keeper then I’d look into case work.

4. gbesq Jan 25, 2023

I don't necessarily agree with this. In my mind, there is a big difference between overpolishing a watch, which we all know devalues it, and properly restoring a watch case to its original finish and contours. Done properly, a high quality case restoration can be nearly indistinguishable from the appearance of the case when it was new. In my mind, it's nothing like a redial which, however skillfully done, is almost always detectable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a vintage watch with a well executed case restoration provided that the rest of the watch is original.

bardamu, Rudi99, MtV and 4 others like this.
  5. YYTIN Jan 25, 2023

I would personally agree with that but last time I envisaged it, I finally thought the case in question was not damaged 'enough' to risk devaluing the watch (Don't know if the watch in question will remain a keeper) and I ended up doing nothing so far... So I understand Larry advice very well.
    I still believe this vision of 'restoring case is ok' is not yet shared widely among collectors... But I'm interested in listening to others opinions.

And for the record, I was looking at Lapinist on IG : he is doing some pretty amazing job on Grand & King Seiko Zaratsu (Re)finishing... Mentioning this makes me think again about it.::facepalm2::

Edited Jan 26, 2023
  6. janice&fred Jan 25, 2023

Do as suggested and send to TM. If anything it will increase the value and certainly the enjoyment of wearing it.

7. seekingseaquest Jan 26, 2023

Thanks all. There’s definitely not a consensus that case refinishing is “okay” among collectors.. I think there’s a mix of POVs. Personally I usually prefer to leave things as is, but this one is worse than I’m used to dealing with so I’m debating.

I think I’ll follow the advice I give to others - you can always (polish or refinish) later, but you can’t un(polish or refinish). I’ll service for now and can do the case later if it bothers me too much.

YYTIN likes this.
  8. Aroxx Sets his watch Jan 26, 2023

From a layman’s perspective I say get it fixed if feasible. It’s a beautiful watch but I’d have a hard time looking past that myself. Just my 2 cents.