Forums Latest Members

So who last used a tachymetre/tachymeter bezel anyway?

1. tikkathree Jan 2, 2019

A propos nothing at all but off the back of enjoying the Mk40 thread I was wondering, who ever uses a tachymetre/tachymeter bezel anyway?
    I use elapsed time bezels, why I've even got Seiko Flightmasters with a slide rule bezel which I have been known to use but a tachy?
    Does Omega ever try a different bezel on the Speedmaster or is it a case of "if it ain't bust....."?

blufinz52 and superfly like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 2, 2019

I use it to time actions per hour for repetitive tasks.

Omega offered a telemeter and pulsometer bezel for the Pro.

ext1 and superfly like this.
  3. tikkathree Jan 2, 2019

Oh pulsometers, they're nearly as useful I suppose.

blufinz52 and superfly like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 2, 2019

Telemetres are indispensable.

When I see the big flash on the horizon I need to know how far away it is so I know if I'm out of the radiation zone, or if I'm in it, I can then kiss my arse goodbye.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 2, 2019

Tachometer

See.........spell check doesn’t even know what the Farrrrk a tachymeter is......

nonuffinkbloke and Steve88M3 like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 2, 2019

It's not all spell check / auto correct though Andy, they ain't as smart as hoomans yet.

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 9.02.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 9.03.10 PM.png

7. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jan 2, 2019

I occasionally use mine to gauge the speed of trains I'm on. Use the Geocaching app to monitor 1km distance.

8. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jan 2, 2019

But to be fair you can also just use a speedometer app on your phone for that as a one step solution. I have done that on trains myself.

But regardless of how much it’s used, I just think the tachymeter scale looks cool and adds another interesting decoration to the watch.

9. Yuriae Jan 2, 2019

As a train driver, I once had to use the tachymètre scale of my Heuer Carrera for a few hours because the onboard device measuring the speed wasn’t working properly anymore. Of course, there would have been other ways for me to tell the speed of my train, but I found it fun to use my watch for that ;)!

ama98, MRC, KingCrouchy and 3 others like this.
  10. ext1 Jan 2, 2019

I use the tachy all the time! When I see the sandwich maker at the sandwich counter finish one sandwich in around 7 seconds, it lines up with 500, so I know the dude can make 500 sandwiches in an hour.

madjestikmoose, Steve88M3 and Yuriae like this.
  11. Edward53 Jan 2, 2019

I used mine when my company was pinned down on a ridge by accurate artillery fire. I estimated the range of the enemy battery and called in an accurate airstrike. Enemy fire was disrupted, my company advanced and we were able to drive them from their position, taking our objective with no casualties and receiving a commendation from the Commander-in-Chief.

CLARIFICATION: Mrs. E has just told me that this didn't happen and actually I used the chrono function to time a lasagne in the oven. Sorry if I've misled anyone but the two incidents are very similar and hopefully you can see how the confusion would arise.

12. Steve88M3 Jan 2, 2019

I used mine today.

I looked at it and thought, "Damn, that's pretty."

gdupree and Edward53 like this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 2, 2019

I knew this thread was gonna be golden! :D

blufinz52 and Buck2466 like this.
  14. vbrad26 Jan 2, 2019

I used it a month or so ago for "units per hour".
    My company is a steel rebar fabricator (and wholesaler) and I used it to figure how many pieces of a certain bend my guy could make in an hour.
    Because figuring labor costs into selling price matters!

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. MRC Jan 2, 2019

Mine gets used to check the speedometer accuracy of a new car or motorcycle and any rental car that I will use for more than a day. (Biggest liar a Honda VFR750 at 12% fast.) But there is a point at which the accuracy of the tachometer becomes more important and that can be worked out from the gearing and tyre size with the speedo information.

Of course any non-tachy chronograph and a bit of mental arithmetic also works.

16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 2, 2019

It has a use?....::confused2:: So is anybody gonna explain how to use it? I thought it was just a back ground for the dot over the 90??? ::confused2::

17. base615 Jan 2, 2019

I have a pulsometer bezel on one of mine which I’ve used several times. Don’t even know how to use the tachometer on the other one.

18. BenBagbag Jan 2, 2019

Hahahahaha

madjestikmoose likes this.
  19. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jan 2, 2019

OK. A vehicle starts from point A and reaches point B, which is exactly 1km away. At the moment it leaves point A, a classy person with excellent taste in watches who's wearing a Speedmaster depresses the top chronograph pusher. The chrono hand begins to glide... almost... hypnotically. The same classy person depresses the same top pusher once the vehicle reaches point B. The hand stops. It indicates a number on the tachymetric bezel (possibly with a dot over '90,' or an erroneous '220' mark, or possibly not). That number indicates the vehicle's average speed in km/h.

You're welcome. I'm here all week. Try the fish.

TheBodhisattva likes this.
  20. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 2, 2019

I need a nice, classy one??? :( Thankyou Ben I'll give it a go, but.... Will this tatty, 53 year old, scratched up one do the job?::shy::
    20170507_165913-1.jpg

blufinz52 and vbrad26 like this.