Forums Latest Members

So what is your definition of a High End Watch?

1. afinewatch May 24, 2015

deleted

Edited Oct 13, 2015
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 24, 2015

I Don't know if it qualifies or not, but I for one distinguish between bling and high end. Diamonds and gold CAN be as tacky as the next thing or can be high end if set on the right piece.

I distinguish high end on watches more based on brand and movement in watches than precious metals and stones. Just me.

Also, I do appreciate the craftsmanship needed on setting a small jewel on a small setting on a delicate environment.... Have you ever looked inside a movement? The precision and craftsmanship needed to set the jewels and parts of a basic movement surpasses by far setting stones alone on any surface.

OMGRLX, blufinz52 and persco like this.
  3. ulackfocus May 24, 2015

Things I want in a high end watch:

- polished chamfers on the edges of the bridges
    - shock protection on the escape wheel
    - polished plates with Geneva waves on the bridge surfaces

Jacquot likes this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 24, 2015

There is also the distinction between Jewelry and Horology high end I guess. Cartier and Van Cleef to use the present examples are well known and respected jewelry more than horology brands. I say this fully acknowledging the historic place of Cartier Watches which I happen to really like, having several of them between my wife and me. But I don't fool myself into setting Cartier against Patek, Vaucheron, JLC etc. I admit I don't know much about Van Cleef but even looking at their website I wouldn't think they are particularly focused on watches. (I may be wrong)

Just because something commands a price that is beyond the reach of most people, or because it is exclusive, (for example a one of 10 piece) that doesn't mean it is high end to me. Anyone can make a limited edition and anyone can price it on the stratosphere....but high end CRAFTSMANSHIP is more what I focus on. If it is exclusive and expensive because it is masterfully crafted, designed and finished then it is high end (even if it is a lesser known brand) If it is just Gold and diamonds and bling and basically a swatch dipped in platinum then it is just an expensive mid or lower end. Maybe priced well for it's value, maybe not, but not high end.

OculusPrime and sailingchamp like this.
  5. ulackfocus May 24, 2015

You can't put a high end jewelry watch up against a high end horology watch. That's like comparing Arpels to oranges.

:p ::rimshot::

OMGRLX, NT931, Privateday7 and 7 others like this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 24, 2015

I don't know anything of Bueche Girod so can't give an opinion other than the fact that it's ugly (to me), love the Cartier.

I am assuming Bueche is a high end brand as is Cartier, so both....but i'd take the Cartier anytime above that example of Bueche

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 24, 2015

I think that's not what ulackfocus is implying, it's more the fact that they are both high end on their respective market place, so neither is pitched against the other.

8. guelerct May 24, 2015

High end to me means completely hand made and intricate
    Popular Mechanics ran an article on RGM out of Lancaster PA and I was mesmerized
    Very small production runs and everything is hand turned, filed, set etc in a small workshop
    To me that justifies high end more than just the metals and stones used in fabrication

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 24, 2015

Problem is you haven't shown a movement, would like to see the movement on the Van Cleef ? :whistling:

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 24, 2015

I knew but thought I would let you write it or show it. That's when you go from high end to jewellery.

That makes it more of a bling bracelet in my world.

11. afinewatch May 24, 2015

deleted

Edited Oct 13, 2015
    Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 24, 2015

"High end" could simply imply expensive, but of course that isn't necessarily consistent with top-class. In a more classical sense, the 'Big Three" during the Golden Age of watchmaking ('40s-'60s; V&C, PP, and AP) indisputably defined the high end of the industry.

When you inspect the details of the dials, cases and movements produced by those manufactures, the definition becomes fairly clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DTMwatch, Jon R, davidswiss and 3 others like this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2015

What are your thoughts on Aximum Igor?

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 24, 2015

Exactly, it's not black and white as in inside versus out. It's the whole package, the finishing, detail, grade etc. I do understand you don't "see" the movement, and for sure Cartier has a lot of great Quartz watches.

To me high end watches are wholesome and what you see outside is reflective of what's inside and vice versa.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2015

Honestly, no

JohnSteed likes this.
  16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 24, 2015

To me, "high end" means haute horologie. If it has wire springs, it fails the test. Screws should be black polished and blued where appropriate - as should any other steel part of the movement be black polished including the tops of pinion leaves. Edges should be beveled, as should be the slots in screws. Plates and bridges/cocks should have a decorative finish (not just plated or simply brushed) Dials should also be appropriately decorated and hands should be hand crafted.

High end, to me, definitely precludes anything that uses a battery - that's just a piece of jewellery that functions as a watch.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2015

What does that mean?

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2015

You asked is the 80s era Chopard bangle watch high end

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2015

No, it WAS a high end watch (even that would be debatable) 30 years ago, today no woman would wear it, which is the difficulty with so many women's watches, there are some amazing pieces that are still worth scrap value as they'll never go on someone's wrist

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2015

Maybe to a Kylie Minogue theme party or something, who knows, shoulder pads could make a come back too some day :)

NT931, KIMBER, ulackfocus and 2 others like this.