Forums Latest Members
  1. sheepdoll Jul 25, 2022

I posted some threads in the complicated watches section, mostly relating to some watches I have in my top drawer. There is an overview photograph in the ' where to start.. ' thread.

Sometimes when one takes off the lid there is a goat:

IMG_3281.png

Then sometimes there is something rather interesting:

IMG_3280.png
    And it is a 351 bumper! Most of it seems to be there sans escape wheel and mainspring. But who really uses these things to tell time anyway. Too bad I placed an order for another 650 mainspring (If i ever find the click, I may restore the eBay parts movement as it seems to have a good balance after all.)

(repeat after me many times: I will not start searching online for a case for this.)

-j

Vitezi, Mark020, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 26, 2022

Is there a question for this forum ? You seem to know everything already.

jaguar11 likes this.
  3. sheepdoll Jul 26, 2022

I know next to nothing. I have a modest collection of 'stuff.' Mostly I am showing it as others might be interested in it. Or may have advice as to what to do with it. I also tend to add a bit of levity to what are usually serious topics. So in a way I am saying do others have an opinion of what sort of case a bumper like this would look good in. Granted the dial is a bit so so.

It is also possible there may be something someone really needs. Will be a while before I can make the marketplace, so all I can really do at the moment is share what I have access too. I have way more than I need, I do not care for the anonymity of the online markets.

I guess the question is should I put this back together, and source the missing pieces, Or should I simply keep it for parts, the other alternative is to just leave it in the drawer where it has been for 25 years or more? The nice thing about collecting watches (vs pipe organs) is they do not take up much space.

-j

Davidt and BroMega like this.
  4. Canuck Jul 26, 2022

This one I found in a lozenge tin which had the unassorted parts of four Omega bumper automatics. It had been in that tin for close to 50 years! When I saw the dial, I sorted through the tin, and I found ALL of the parts from an Omega date at a calibre 355 movement! All, that is, except a crown and a case.

A05ABF2D-8A81-452B-8826-148E8E991D2B.jpeg

DaveK, cristos71, Duracuir1 and 2 others like this.
  5. DON Jul 26, 2022

Click is available. Escape wheel is discontinued, but used in every bumper movement, so should be able to find

DON

6. sheepdoll Jul 27, 2022

Do you mean the 650 click? Is there a recommended materials house in the US. The ones on the auction sites seem to come from over seas especially eastern europe. I found watchmaterial dot com shortly before I left for swizerland. They had the mainspring but no click.

I have been finding the Ranfft list to be somewhat useful. At least as a starting point. Much easier than digging through the old trade magazines and books.

I notice on ebay there is a similar collection of parts. item 125426839094. Balace does seem to be missing.

I did find I have a lot of 330 spares in my box o spareparts. No less than 3 mainsprings. The only balance is for a 241. Also have a lot of 470 spares as well as 550. I see that kits like these seem to be on ebay (as pick and choose.)

Also seems like the old goat may give some milk after all. There are actually two movements in that tin. I also found a second box with the same landeron movement and a guide to working on these. The second movement may be a waltham (swiss) but the main plate is missing.

Still not sure where to start. I keep bouncing back and forth through all this 'stuff.'

-j

7. sheepdoll Aug 31, 2022

Spruce likes this.