Forums Latest Members

So what do we know about Rodania?

1. Faz Oct 25, 2016

I wanted to share with you my appreciation for this little known brand. I basically stumbled upon this brand when I started to work for Canadian Pacific Railway in 1995. At that time, all I knew about Rodania is that they supplied railroad approved quartz watches to the CPR along with Bulova and other brands. I had no idea at that time that Rodania had a past as a manufaturer of mechanical wristwatches, some of them of very high quality IMO.

Not much is known other than the company was founded in Grenchen Switzerland circa 1930-1931 and registered in Bienne as RODANA SA in 1933. In 1936, the company’s name was changed to JOBA SA but continued manufacturing watches under the brand RODANA. The name RODANIA started to appear in ads and marketing in 1952 from which point the brand RODANA disappeared from ads and marketing. Apparently in 1966, the company was listed both as RODANIA SA and RODANA SA and JOBA SA was dropped. So the company was registered under both names. The question remains why the changes?
    (source: Internet- NAWCC)

I did contact Rodania but their archives are non-existent for this period with regards to which models were manufaterd when except for some references to serial numbers. Today, Rodania affordable fashionable quartz watches under the brand Rodania. Needless to say that these watches have absolutely nothing to do with the watches manufactured during the period above mentioned.

The company was registered here in Canada in September of 1952. This is consistent with the information stated above

APPLICATION NUMBER:
    REGISTRATION NUMBER:
    UCA43064
    REGISTERED
    FILED:
    1952-09-26
    1952-09-26
    REGISTRANT:
    RODANIA S. A.
    Grenchen
    SWITZERLAND

Much later, a Rodania Geometer (2nd from the right) popped up on a sales board.

Rodania group.jpg

I was already aware of this watch as the previous owner had posted it a few times. Like many, my curiosity was piqued on account of its striking resemblance to the iconic Omega Speedmaster, so when it came up for sale I pounced! Other than it was manufactured circa 1954, not much is known about this mysterious chronograph. The adjusted R72 movement, the radium indexes and sword hands, the chocolaty dial are packaged in a very attractive 38 mm steel case that makes this an exceptional chronograph by any standards.

A few years later an RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) single pusher chronograph popped up on eBay (second from the left). I didn’t know anything about these but the case back revealed a brand that I was familiar with! When I saw that fabulous and beautifully decorated Venus 175 I pounced again. This is when I realized that Rodania was serious about their time pieces. The quality is simply excellent. It should be noted that there are RCAF issued “Rodana” chronographs as well.

My latest arrival (first from left) probably falls in the transition period when Rodana became Rodania in 1952. You can see the Rodania brand on the dial yet the case back and movement (Venus 175 I believe. Please chime in if I’m wrong) are branded “Rodana”. A beautifully finished movement with an excellent and solid case makes for quite a solid piece. This one is 38 mm and has the odd 19 mm lug spacing. The patina on the dial is striking and creamy.
    Rodania 17.jpg Rodan movement.JPG Rodana Case back.JPG
    The last watch (first from right) is probably from the 70’s. I picked it up for $45. It is a hand winder. I have no idea what ticks inside and I know basically nothing about it as I haven’t seen another similar example. My wife has laid claim to it and she loves it!
    Rodania group.jpg
    If anybody here knows anything more than what I have outlined above, feel free to PM me or add to this thread.

Cheers,

Faz

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 25, 2016

Nice group, Faz!

Rodania is one of many smaller, but interesting brands, that help to make collecting so fun and interesting. Here's some further information about the brand's history:

http://www.masterhorologer.com/2009/08/rodania-watches-brand-profile-history.html

They formed a very productive and notable association with professional Cyclists in the 1950s, and continued to market using that association into the '70s, including a line named after Eddy Merckx. Perhaps it even exists today.

I own a couple of their divers, and they are quite nice though not easy to find. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

3. Faz Oct 25, 2016

That's excellent Tony! Thanks for posting this!
    Cheers

4. Faz Oct 25, 2016

I remember that Rodania agent I talked to here in Montreal mentionned that the steering wheel logo weas introduced around 1954 which would be consistent with this mention in that article

"1954: Start of a still ongoing partnership with the cycling sport. Rodania pilot cars clear the roads for major cycling events."

5. Canuck Oct 25, 2016

I have a Rodania quartz railroad watch with an ETA 955.xxx quartz movement in it. I am not near my books at the moment, but I believe these were (and are stil) rr approved in Canada. They differ very little from the equivalent Bulova 955Q railroader, of which I have two. Apologies for the inferior file photo.

P1010184.JPG

Faz likes this.
  6. Faz Oct 25, 2016

That's the exact one my colleague had (I think he still has it but has since retired). And yes, the Bulova is almost Identical. Many conductors and engineers still have that very same watch.

For those interested, an exerpt of the CROR (Canadian Railway Operating Rules).

TIME AND TIME TABLES

1. TIME
    The 24 hour system will be used and will be expressed in four digits. The digits 2359 or 0001 will be used to express the time at midnight.

2. WATCHES
    Every conductor, assistant conductor, locomotive engineer, pilot, foreman, snow plow foreman and such other employees as the company may direct, shall, when on duty, use a reliable watch that indicates hours, minutes and seconds and shall;

(i) be responsible to ensure that it is kept in proper working condition so that it does not reflect a variation of more than 30 seconds in a 24 hour period;

(ii) set it to reflect the correct time if it reflects a variation of more than 30 seconds;

(iii) before commencing work, compare the time on their watch with a railway approved time source. Where a railway approved time source is not accessible, obtain the correct time from the RTC or by comparing with another employee who has obtained the correct time. Every crew member assigned to train, transfer or yard service shall compare the time with one another as soon as possible after commencing work.

EDIT: The new rule regarding watches is much less stringent than it was when I started. In those days the rule stated that employees in connection with train movements had to wear an "railway approved" watch that expressed the time in the the 24 hours system and that it had to be regularely maintained by a railway approved watchmaker.

Edited Oct 25, 2016
  7. Vitezi Oct 25, 2016

1953:
    [​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

1955:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

1957:
    [​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

1957:
    [​IMG]

1963:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

1965:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

1968:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

1970:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

1974:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

1977:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

8. Faz Oct 25, 2016

Cool ads! I have searched all over for Rodana/Rodania ads that features chronographs. Never found one.

9. Vitezi Oct 25, 2016

Chrono ad with a tie-in to cycling:
    [​IMG]

10. Vitezi Oct 25, 2016

SpeedyPhill, Syrte and red crowned like this.
  11. tapaptpat Oct 25, 2016

@Faz there is a thead on wus/vintage and pocketwatch subforum dealing with ads that's the place I'd start.

Ok n00b theory warning. Could the Rodana Rodania be a US import label and Europe and rest of the world? Do both brands have US import markings on movements or only one?

Another guess one is the Mil division the other civillian?

Some ads just popped up in Google image search
    http://m.imgur.com/gallery/SpHAd

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/inde...intage-watches/&do=findComment&comment=703502

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

12. tapaptpat Oct 25, 2016

And found this on tz by simes. Last paragraph for the lazy.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?219211-Interesting-CAR-BOOT-find-possible-Military-content
    Re: Interesting CAR-BOOT find, possible Military content?

Hmmmm...

They changed their name at some pointhttp://www.rodaniacanada.com/ this is them now I believe.

I found this on the web- can't vouch as to whether it's correct or not:

"The "Rodana" watch company was founded in 1930 in Grenchen Switzerland by Hans Baumgartner, according to the company website. In my own research, I found they quickly became a perennial favorite with the big catalog merchandisers such as Becken, Otto Young, etc., for sale to independent jewelers and consumers direct. The name was later changed to Rodania for reasons unknown. They maintain a company headquarters in White Plains, N.Y., and appear to be mostly distributed in Canada. "

Just found this quote from Rodiana:

Rodana has been founded in 1930 in Grenchen (swiss). The first 5/10 years, watches were sold under the brand Rodana and for "judicial" reasons the brand moved from Rodana to Rodania.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 25, 2016

Thanks for starting this topic thread, Faz.

Like I needed more watch brands to look for.

Vitezi and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  14. Edantony Oct 25, 2016

I thought I saw some wermacht watches with "rodana" on there, completely different brand? Or am I mistaken?

15. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 26, 2016

Checked my 1949 official Swiss catalog of movement makers. Neither Joba nor Rodan(i)a listed.
    I believe this confirms that they used externally sourced movements for their watches. In extent assembly and not manufacture.

Faz and tapaptpat like this.
  16. aap Oct 26, 2016

These look cool! And another hunt begins....

Vitezi and Northernman like this.
  17. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 26, 2016

Faz, that Geometer is absolutely epic. Maybe the best out there. Soooooo dibs?

18. Faz Oct 26, 2016

Hi,
    No, before Rodania came to be, The company was Rodana SA as I stated in the body of my post, The name was changed from Rodana to Rodania ca. 1952.

Edited Oct 26, 2016
  19. Faz Oct 26, 2016

I had already put you on the dibs list ;)

20. Faz Oct 26, 2016

I believe you're right. I've seen most watches equipped with movements from a plethora of manufacturers. Valjoux, Landeron, Lemania, Venus etc... the country code for Rodana and Rodania stamped on the bridges is ROP