Forums Latest Members
  1. Spike Mar 19, 2014

So my wife decided that she would like to buy me a watch box as a gift to store my small collection of watches, that's nice I thought....

Everyone she showed me I rejected as they all had a glass/plastic 'window' in the lid to admire them through.

"I'd like a solid box please", I told her, I don't want the light getting at them. Now she found that more than a little amusing, in fact 'ridiculous' was mentioned a number of times!

"But you wear them all the time and they are out in the light then", she says, ahh I replied, but they are tucked under my shirt or jumper most of the time, to which we both had to laugh at that:D

Is there any logic in my thinking, should a watch box keep these vintage boys out of the light as much as possible or are my OCD tendencies working overtime again?::screwloose::

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 19, 2014

How will you ever achieve chocolate dial status? ;)
    I'm okay with the glass top as long as it doesn't get direct sunlight at some point during daylight hours.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2014

4. Georgieboy58 Mar 19, 2014

My watches don't fear the light of day, but I also dislike watch boxes with glass (or even worse plastic) windows.

watchme likes this.
  5. woodwkr2 Mar 19, 2014

It all depends.

See, you should really be considering the type of watch and where it has been before you acquired it. I've heard woeful tales of dive watches from Miami that went into a deep depression when they were forced to move to Minnesota in the winter time. You should also, therefore, consider proper climate control for your storage box. The little heating pads made for reptiles work well, I'm told. Stay away from the humidity/misting devices unless you're especially fond of the Indian redial patina that can develop with long exposure. If you have a large collection, be sure to lovingly wipe down each watch once a day. If you're in a hurry, you can concentrate on the bezel area, that's where they're most sensitive.

GL with your collection!

6. ainterian Mar 19, 2014

7. Spike Mar 19, 2014

Thanks chaps for the advice and ebay links, both look good but the shipping to the UK wouldn't really make them viable..........can't seem to see where we could buy similar in the UK..........I'll look harder now I know there is a bit of logic in my madness!

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2014

9. Jimmy Jim Mar 19, 2014

I know you are already down the road of what you want, but thought I would add my bit.

My lone 12 watch box has just the one level and a glass top. Logic being for me is that I collect and buy what I like. I also like to admire what I have since wearing them all at once is not an options. So along the lines that I have seen here time and time again about buying watches... I take the same line with the box. Buy what you like. Mine just happens to be a glass top rosewood and suede leather box and I can enjoy looking at as much as I use.

10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 19, 2014

11. Spike Mar 19, 2014

Just when i think I've got my mind set, old Jimbo throws a curved ball at me!

Jimmy Jim likes this.
  12. Jimmy Jim Mar 19, 2014

...oops... ummm you're welcome? :D

13. epl108 Mar 19, 2014

I remember ulackfocus showing off some pretty neat ones he got a while back that fit your wish of not having the see-through top. They also seemed VERY protective, and possibly even waterproof. Can't remember the brand, but I'm sure he can remind us...

14. Dablitzer Mar 19, 2014

I like my watches to look like they're not in something resembling an expensive treasure chest!…But that's just me, and my OCD'ness! ::screwloose::

P.s. Your wife deserves a pat on the back! :thumbsup:

15. ulackfocus Mar 19, 2014

16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 19, 2014

Very good home for valued pieces, Dennis.
    I have this mental picture of shelves in your walk-in closet (vault?), just lined up and down with these cases!
    Quadrophenic-Schizophrenia

17. Spike Mar 19, 2014

Crikey Dennis very posh and they even have condoms on, is that to stop a bit of Connie interbreeding?

I think my grand total of 3 watches would look a little lost, mind you I am a new boy on the block....

Cheers everyone:thumbsup:

Dablitzer likes this.
  18. rick42650 Mar 19, 2014

Correct original boxes on rare watches can really increase my heart rate! Generic boxes or cases not so much....

19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 19, 2014

Handling and opening "correct original boxes" every time you wish to view/wear the piece would lead to substantial wear, I'm afraid.
    Rick, I see your heart and I'm all for complete sets, but I feel for long-term storage and heavy use that these cases are a great addition with the original box safely stored in a clean, dry place.