Forums Latest Members

So....Original or Restored

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 27, 2013

Just on the couch tonight after a biggy last night and remote clicking found Antiques Roadshow.

A person had two globes (maps like a basketball) from about 1802.

The estimate, in good condition was 40,000 pounds, they were a bit ratty but still looked very presentable.

As they were, about 8 to 12 thousand pounds with 15 to 20 to restore them.

So if it's OK to restore historical objects like this and accept them as items of great value............

Why are re-dialed watches so frowned upon?

(And by re-dialed, I mean quality work).

Anyway, my Lagavulin addled mind seeks discussion.

citizenrich likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2013

An accurately redialed watch wouldn't bother me although it would lose a little value. Problem is they never are accurately redialed when it comes to Omega. Even if they get the fonts correct and the SWISS MADE low enough, they over ink.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 27, 2013

If it were truly quality work, then wouldn't it difficult to spot as a redial? That's really the problem.

I also collect Hamilton watches from the 1920's and 1930's. Many of these dials were loaded with radium which destroys dials over time. These watches provided zero protection from moisture that attacked dials as well. However, there is a US dial maker who was one of the original contractors to Hamilton back then and is still in business. They have most of the original dies and use the same processes. So what you get is essentially a new dial which looks very much like it did when the watch was originally made. This standard of work is considered acceptable among collectors of American made watches.

Unfortunately, I know of no rediallers that have a good collection of original Omega dies that can adequately reproduce the look of an original Omega dial (or other Swiss watch manufacturers). This includes the contractors that Omega uses today for their factory refurbishments. They just don't look quite right.

There is a member here who has a connection in SE Asia who uses CGI to reproduce original looking scripts and finishes on Omega dials. I've seen online pictures of the work and it is very close to factory quality. I would consider these dials acceptable as a collector.

Lastly, if sellers would only disclose that a dial isn't original, it would take away some of the stigma, at least IMO.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2013

My thoughts:

A great restoration adds value to unacceptable condition by restoring the spirit of the original work.
    A poor restoration destroys the spirit (Phyllis Diller's facelifts).
    Graceful patina accentuates the history and adds to the story sort of like customs stamps in your passport.
    Removing patina erases this story and shows a regret of time's passing.
    Finding perfect, original beauty of any form, from any time, fills us with wonder and a gratefulness that we were able to witness and to share.
    Only perfect, original beauty will stir our soul.

5. Hijak Jul 27, 2013

:thumbsup: Wise man that Uncle Buck is!

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2013

...and poetic too :cool:

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2013

My wife calls it Bullshit Artist

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2013

No, that's freakin' poetry.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2013

Yes, if upon meeting you look anything less the the image of John Candy it would be a let down (though I'm sure Mrs Buck is quite happy with the way you are).

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2013

Mrs. Buck is seldom happy and yes, I was given the nickname by coworkers because of a strong physical and behavioral resemblance (cigars, booze and gambling). However, I've lost 80 lbs. since those days and now more closely resemble Martin Sheen!

11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 27, 2013

Could you set that to music Jim ? :thumbsup:

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  12. pknopp Jul 27, 2013

If you watch the sales on eBay the nicely polished refinished dials will bring good money. So the idea is a little skewed. A restored to like new anything is sought after by many. Among that many generally aren't the more hard core collectors.

13. mementomori1983 Jul 28, 2013

Weak avatar-to-post correlation.

John R Smith likes this.