Forums Latest Members

So many Speedmasters.....looking for guidance

1. Superdoc Nov 16, 2013

I know that the wide Variety of Speedmasters and special editions are issues of contention for some people, and I have to admit, I was initially put off by that.
    However, now that I grow my collection, I realize that I really do NEED a speedmaster. ( so far 12 omega and no speedmaster!)

The Wide Variety now becomes a big plus in my column, as the standard Purist model just wouldn't fit my collection, or tastes...I can choose from any number of styles and still have a SPEEDMASTER...

I initially thought that the Dark side would be the one, but as beautiful as it is, it felt a little too redundant in my collection..I had the same feeling with it as I do with my 8500PO45 on rubber...

So looking for those with experience and an an itch to enable..

I'll list my current collection so you guys can have some perspective...I like to have something a little unique...

I'm really thinking Aventurine dial..maybe meteorite if I can get it...
    even Panda may tempt me...

Current lot:

RG Hour Vision on bracelet (avatar)
    RG Deville 9300 chrono (blue dial on Blue leather
    SS Hour vision Annual Calender on Bracelet white/silver dial
    SMP blue (Brosnan Bond 2500)
    Liquid Metal Limited edition PO 42mm(2500movement)
    45.5 PO 8500 on rubber- Black face/matte Ceramic
    AT 38mm Blue (Skyfall)
    AT 42mm Grey teak - on black leather
    Deville Prestige 35mm silver on black (dainty dress watch)
    Deville X2 Big Date ( square face silver on distressed brown croc leather)
    Vintage 1953 Seamaster YG with champagne dial on brown leather
    SS 1971 Omega "automatic"

As far as Chronographs go - I also have the Everose daytona - black face with RG sub dials, the Breitling B01 with blue MOP, a Bentley Motors T , and a VC overseas chrono

looking at this list...no brown dials...hmmm

Anyway - as is quite evident, I have a serious problem....please let's ignore that and focus on the enabling part....

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2013

You need a Cal 321, not enough vintage represented, and its a truly legendary movement. 145.012 or 105.012 would be my pick, earlier variants are cooler but you need dramatically more patience and fair bit of research to step into 105.003 or earlier.

Tritium and Spacefruit like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2013

Ashely is right. I would pin it down a little further and suggest that you pay an extra premium for a mint condition 145.012 . Like I said, this will come at a premium, but given the condition of your other watches this would both fit in and give you vintage representation.

4. Reintitan Nov 16, 2013

Outside of a couple of vintage watches in your collection you seem like a modern-type of guy. Check out the stainless steel Speedy '57 (the non-ceramic version of the DSOM) or for a modern watch with "vintage" looks go for a Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster Pro ref. 3573.50.

5. ulackfocus Nov 16, 2013

As does nearly everyone here.

Let's! It is our specialty after all.

Your solution is in your own original post:

There it is - a modern chocolate Speedmaster. Reintitan and I agree that….

….. so the chocolate is the watch for you. :thumbsup:

Or as Emeril would say "BAM!".

6. Reintitan Nov 17, 2013

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 17, 2013

Hi Superdoc,
    Looking at your superb list of Omegas, here are my two Speedmasters suggestion that worth pursuing and might become star among your collection.

1. Omega Speedmaster BA 145.022, first gen Yellow Gold Speedmaster moonwatch ( 1969-1971). Historically significant, Awesome yellow gold case and dial with matching burgundy bezel, truly moonwatch heritage. Rare but several always available in the market.
    Picture from Fratellowatches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 Omega Speedmaster Pro Yellow Gold skeletonized Armin Storm. (1994) Cosmetically beautiful (most beautiful Speedmaster). A very rare attempt by Omega to commisioned such watches. Skeleton watch might be not a cup of tea for everyone but Armin Strom elegantly execute it for Omega Speedmaster. This will be more difficult to source but appear from time to time in Antiquorum or Christie auction.

picture from watchonista
    [​IMG]

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. Superdoc Nov 17, 2013

This is definitely worth a look...

I need to see that brown on the flesh...as much as I love Omega --- the website photos are crap...the watches all look so much better in person..

I think more than any other watch Brand, Omegas are least served by the photos...
    Does anyone out there have any better photos of this one?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2013

Actually that's a good call on the BA 145.022 it slipped my mind

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2013

A few more thoughts:

1. The FOIS
    2. The new '57 co-axial
    3. One of the mission patch 145.0022's - only 150 were made of each one, except for 999 of the Apollo 13 one (which is super cool IMO)
    4. White gold Speedy Moonphase
    5. The blue dialled Gemini 4

Good luck :D

JohnSteed likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2013

Spacefruit likes this.
  12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2013

A few on here know I'm a speedy man...

I have 'a few' LE's speedy wise! You mentioned the Apollo Soyuz Meteorite dial, I have one and love it to bits! The fact that you are actually wearing a piece of the universe on your wrist is cool, every dial is different as it's cut from a huge meteorite that was found in Namibia,

Spikispikster is right... Consider the Apollo Missions watches. He should know he has one of the Apollo 13.

Brown dials are not my thing really but with the brown leather strap looks ok.

Consider a watch that will hold its value well like a snoopy or white gold speedy moon-phase, there are many others of course!!

13. ctime3 Nov 17, 2013

i have seen seen the brown dial in person. It is not brown like the web photos preciously mentioned.

14. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 18, 2013

DLT222 and NT931 like this.
  15. Hijak Nov 18, 2013

::love::::love:: ::love:: ::love:: ::love:: ::love:: ::love:: ::love::

DLT222 likes this.
  16. Puffy Dec 4, 2013

I love the 3570. very nice warm feeling to it...

17. Superdoc Dec 7, 2013

I can only sigh lovingly at this one.... inquired at my boutique, and was told that they were long since sold out...

Looking at the MSRP..I can only think of this as a missed opportunity....if this were released now, there's no way it would be in 4 figure land...

I see them on Chrono24 and other websites...but would need to actually feel/see one before pulling a trigger...

I'm thinking the Aventurine is the next best...maybe even better - moonphase, display -back, ceramic bezel..

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 22, 2014

19. Mathlar Mar 22, 2014

There are still a few around - the Boutique in either Zurich or Geneva airport had a Speedeorite a couple of months ago when I went in there. In fact I seem to remember they had a few specials that were otherwise hard to come by (a Bullhead for instance) but I was running for a flight and could only take a quick 20 second window shopping detour through the Boutique!

20. pharmer0103 Mar 24, 2014

I saw the blue Speedmaster '57 at the Natick, MA boutique over the holidays and was blown away by it. Not too big or small at 41.5 mm, and the red hands over the blue face is striking, even more so in person. There are many models, including some accented with rose gold - http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...ga-co-axial-chronograph-415-mm/33110425103001

The new Mark II is also really cool, with a great and totally separate heritage of it's own. Should be coming into stores soon, depending on where you are at in the world - http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...axial-chronograph-424-x-462-mm/32710435006001