Forums Latest Members

So I was poking around this post office in New Jersey......

1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 6, 2014

lando, Waynepjr, Gavin and 5 others like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 6, 2014

DIBS!:p

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. Mothra Jun 6, 2014

There may be a joke I'm missing, but is the box that was recovered from the skip shortly after Neil passed away?

4. toddmp Jun 6, 2014

story?

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 6, 2014

A contractor working at Armstrongs's house pulled it from a rubbish skip after he threw it away during a house clearnace, along with several note books and scrap books with newspaper clippings - they were not really interesting, you could understand why one of the worlds most famous astronauts might have so much of it that he throws it out.

The Contracor asked permission and Armstrong said take what you like, after all it was rubbish to him......I suppose these things lacked the importance they now have acquired.

I often wondered if it was real. However his story checked out, and the thing feels real. It did not cost me a lot, and the rest of the items it was sold with looked genuine, if as I said not very interesting. I don't think the amounts of money involved would interest a fraudster.

I know its just a card board box with a label on it, but it does provide great pleasure to own.

Waynepjr likes this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 6, 2014

Yes I am sorry a poor joke. EDIT: and factually unrelated to New Jersey, I got carried away in my mind and mixed up the loss of Aldrins watch on its way through the post, with Armstrong's.

Armstrong's flown watch, NASA #46 a 105.012-65 SN 24002981 has never been found, and is the only flown watch to be unaccounted for.
    EDIT: Armstrong's watch is safe and sound....it was Aldrin's that got lost in NJ. Very inconsiderate and ruins my story. Thanks to those who corrected me!

It is theorized the last known place Aldrins lost watch might have been was in the New Jersey Post office.

Obviously that's my watch up there, not #46 EDIT or #43 !

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 6, 2014

A lot of things get lost in Joisey, don't they Dennis :D

ulackfocus likes this.
  8. Mothra Jun 6, 2014

William, that's not a poor joke at all, but one of those incredibly cool stories that make this hobby. Glad you picked it up, and thanks for sharing....

9. ulackfocus Jun 6, 2014

Things often fall off the back of a truck. ;)

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 6, 2014

Yeah, must be all those pot holes. Too bad union rules don't permit the drivers to go back and pick'em up :D

Tire-comedon, ulackfocus and Waynepjr like this.
  11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 7, 2014

Well, it might be Armstrong's, if you just pulled off a heist at the National Air and Space Museum. It's Aldrin's #43 that's with Jimmy Hoffa somewhere.
    This post looks like the product of one beer too many on a Friday night. ;)
    But I love the box.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/omega.html

Spacefruit likes this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 7, 2014

oops

Thanks

As you can tell Im not such a space nut...got the astronauts mixed up...Appologies all round......And now my title and joke is completely wrong..oh well.

But what a wonderful illustration of just how much of a story I can spin out of not much.....and makes me realize that so much of what I see and here on the net has very little source confirmation.

MMMD likes this.
  13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 7, 2014

A swipe at Jersey is always a good joke, whether fact-based or not. :)

ulackfocus and Spacefruit like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 7, 2014

Don't be too surprised if #43 turns up at some point in the next few years

MMMD likes this.
  15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 7, 2014

....where's my dremmel.....

ulackfocus likes this.
  16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 7, 2014

I won't be shocked. But let's say it turns up in an old shoe box in Aldrin's attic, having been misplaced and forgotten. Who owns it? It might belong to Aldrin, as of September 19, 2012, but NASA's lawyers might have some fun with the phrase "not expressly required to be returned to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration at the completion of the mission."

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r112:H19SE2-0025:

17. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2014

Are you part Ukrainian?

Spacefruit likes this.