Forums Latest Members
  1. Steray86 Aug 31, 2017

Been thinking for a while about getting a nice vintage watch, not as an investment but to wear and hopefully pass down through the family. After doing the usual banter of heading straight to eBay and soon realising there was clearly a lot of potential pitfalls I came across this site!

The knowledge you lot have (and share) is incredible, and I thank you for collectively for stopping me jumping in and buying the first piece of crap I thought looked good.

So for now I've got a lot of reading and researching to be on with (and some more saving) and hopefully I'll be able to pitch in every now and again once I've learnt a few things and avoid asking any daft questions without researching first!

So, has anyone got a nice seasmaster they are selling for £500? (just kidding).

Don Bocadillo and AULLRICH like this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 31, 2017

Ritzwatch likes this.
  3. sat968 Aug 31, 2017

Steray86,

I just started down the same path a couple of months ago and I'm no expert by any means. When I first started looking, everything looked great. Now at least for Constellations, I can spot the bad ones and counterfeits. Ask me to look at a Speedmaster and they'll all look good to me. The resources are here for the searching and I have found a very supportive user community if you follow a few simple rules.

Scott

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 31, 2017

Welcome!

Do yourself a favor...DO NOT TRY AND BUY OFF OF EBAY AND THINK YOU WILL FIND A DEAL AND GET A GREAT VINTAGE WATCH...you will inevitably buy a flaming piece of dog shit.

Just buy one off of the Sales Forum here, and you will get a great piece at a fair price.

5. lillatroll Aug 31, 2017

Nathan1967 and ChrisN like this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 31, 2017

There is another way. Buy a new watch. Then all the wear and signs of use will be yours alone, not somebody else's.

I inherited three watches from my late father. He bought them all new.

For a family heirloom, that would be my plan.

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Aug 31, 2017

Not a Seamaster, a Geneve.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/222603989593?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but with the experience you will gain here, you will soon see the difference between the good deals and the bad.
    Ebay is actually a great source for watches.

8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 31, 2017

Agree, ebay is THE BEST source for watches if and when you know what you are looking for...but until then it is a sea of polished turds. Knowledge you gain has to be applied to the market...the more you learn, the more you buy...the more you buy, the more you learn...and so on and so forth.

9. BenBagbag Aug 31, 2017

+1

I like the style of vintage watches but hopefully at some point I'll get a modern watch that will be a real heirloom. Thinking a zenith el primero would suit me well...

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  10. Wryfox Aug 31, 2017

Once you become more savvy, eBay is not a problem. Like any large marketplace, there are dogs...but there are some great deals for those that know how to find them.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 31, 2017

12. ChrisN Aug 31, 2017

JimInOz likes this.
  13. GordonL Aug 31, 2017

Hi steray
    I am also a couple of months ahead of you and have only good things to say about the members of this forum. So much knowledge and willingness to share it! Happy hunting and collecting...
    Gordon

14. Rumar89 Aug 31, 2017

Unless you find this:
    IMG_0723.JPG
    Or this:
    IMG_0793.JPG

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  15. BenBagbag Aug 31, 2017

cool...

I think what @watchknut meant is that we have very few novices who pull something good off of ebay when they are just starting. For any original piece in decent condition on ebay there are 25 flaming pieces...

GuiltyBoomerang and Larry S like this.
  16. Rumar89 Aug 31, 2017

Totally fair sentiment. Do your homework, know what you're looking at. If you do, eBay is one of the best places to find vintage watches at a steal of a price.

Larry S likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 31, 2017

Hi .. there are so many personal stories and tips here on how to navigate as a noob in dangerous waters. Liberally use the search engine, lever the community, get thee an avatar and contribute your experiences to the OF hive mind! Good luck!

gcole and Rumar89 like this.
  18. Davidt Aug 31, 2017

There are numerous great deals on eBay. However there are probably 20x more average deals and the same again in total rip offs. In reality it takes years of experience and research to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff as well as patience, patience, patience.

Without patience and experience it's easy to overpay and/or buy a bag of shit on eBay. For a one off purchase or a first purchase, I'd certainly advise sticking to the private sales forum here.

I'd also advise taking your time. When I was looking for my first vintage watch I was convinced that all the good examples were almost gone and I better strike now or they'll never be another for sale. There's always another one! Don't get pressured, take your time, read some threads here to decide what you like and go from there.

Good luck!

Vitezi, kingsrider and Larry S like this.
  19. Steray86 Sep 1, 2017

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the advice! Definitely agree with the idea of buying a new watch, the problem is the new watches I like are £2-3k, which will be acheiveable at some point, but in the mean time I'd like to start with a nice vintage for slightly less, with a bit of character and history, I'm pretty sure I'll get the bug and start wanting all sorts and end up spending a fortune. I'm definitely not going to be jumping in to buying anything just yet, will take my time and hopefully get it right. I'll definitely be asking for advice and opinions when I get a bit further down the line. My minds just blown at the minute!!

Cheers!!

20. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 1, 2017

I applaud your attitude. Far too often people come here wanting hasty purchases validated/authenticated and far too often they get advice and opinions that disappoint them. Far better to take your time, do some research, decide which style and look appeals to you then set a budget and go for it! You can also wander round dealers and try on examples of watches that appeal. That way you will get a better idea of the sort of size that you feel comfortable wearing and fits your wrist.

Whether you go vintage or new, I hope you end up with a timepiece that you enjoy wearing and can pass down to the next generation :thumbsup:

Rumar89 likes this.