Forums Latest Members

So am thinking of selling, could OF have an 'Offers' section?

1. Just Livin Jul 17, 2017

I dont know. Maybe this thread will die a death.
    But, this evening I found myself puzzling over what price to put my banged up 69 speedy with degraded dial up for sale at.
    Sure there is Speedmaster101 which is an excellent reference. But then there are parameters there which are quite wide.
    I find myself not wanting to be overambitious, but, at the same time not wanting to give away a piece when money in this day and age is very important...when is it never.
    That's just speedies.

I like Ebay a lot. But it has its issues:
    - Commission rates
    - Flaky buyers
    - Flaky sellers
    - Flaky Flaky

I like IG and Chronocentric, whereby 'Offers' are welcomed. Granted could be a little of the Wild West here. But for the most part you can figure out the scammers.

Within the OF community there has the wonderful safety net of the established community.
    Would that benefit lend itself well to an "offers section'. No commitment. Seller posts purely seeking offers. If he is happy great. If not, no harm no foul. Again in line with the 200 Post Rule.

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 17, 2017

I strongly object to this suggestion. This system is not in keeping with the rules of the sales forum which require a set price. Your system creates an unfriendly and unpleasant spirit of financial competition between forum members.
    People who want to sell to the highest bidder can go to Ebay with all the risks attached.
    This subject has already been discussed.

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 17, 2017

Seems easy enough to put a highish price + 'OBO' on it. I am under the impression that lots of offers often come in via DM that are below asking.

Kmart, Syrte and arcadelt like this.
  4. ATWG Jul 17, 2017

I see nothing wrong with this proposition, as a matter of fact, it makes things a bit more interesting.

5. R3D9 Jul 17, 2017

Please, no.

What you're describing is a de facto auction thread and I don't think that is in the spirit of collectors selling to collectors.

propervinyl and Syrte like this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 17, 2017

Only if the final accepted price is published and verifiable.

::stirthepot::

Just Livin likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2017

Not at this point, either list it at a price or list it on eBay/Christies/Bonhams.

ConElPueblo, cristos71, Kmart and 7 others like this.
  8. arcadelt Jul 17, 2017

I agree. Really, this can be a bit like a reverse auction anyway. If you get no bites to start with, progressively lower the price until someone bites. In the end, if the best price possible is the prime consideration, exposure and marketing is what you want to maximise, and there is nothing better than a worldwide eBay sale for that. If, however, you want to pass it to a fellow collector in a somewhat closed community, then this is great place.

9. alam Jul 17, 2017

I do agree w/the above statement...

..but I don't think the above is necessarily true, after all, the statement below captures reality during price negotiation.....

however, I would not characterize the statement above as "under the impression"... but more as a fact of the negotiation process that takes place behind closed doors...

and is up to @dsio to decide!

therefore, it will die..

:)

oddboy and Jwit like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2017

As Ash said more politely : Not going to happen = No.

I would suggest that there is little point in debating the issue.
    da.jpg

Archer, ConElPueblo, R3D9 and 5 others like this.