Forums Latest Members
  1. Smspectre Jul 18, 2016

hi
    I've been looking around for a snoopy watch now for last couple of month, do we think the price will ever drop.
    Looking on selling sites I can see approx 30 pieces for sale ranging from £8000-£13000.
    Any thoughts please.

2. arno Jul 18, 2016

I do not see any reason for the prices to drop.
    Now that the market has set a price range, every seller is gonna want to stick to this price range...

3. Perseus Jul 18, 2016

That makes me wonder if people were buying them just to sell them. Obviously they have every right to do so, but it's certainly a kick in the nuts to the enthusiast who wasn't able to buy one at MSRP.

watchme and kov like this.
  4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 18, 2016

Thats exactly why most purchases were made.

5. abrod520 Jul 18, 2016

Look next week and you'll still see them for sale.

People can ask all they want for these, but I think the craze has subsided and we'll see these begin to trade more towards MSRP, then perhaps less. Not tomorrow, not in a month, but in a year or two once the next big thing is out there.

6. Bushido Jul 18, 2016

I think one helpful bit of info to take into consideration is also how long the pieces have been for sale at these prices. Where as before, the Snoopy was being snatched up immediately at high prices, they are now sitting for a while. One in particular I have been stalking has been listed in the $12k USD mark for a few weeks. Still way more above msrp than I am personally willing but an indication that trend/demand is now starting to move downward on price point.

7. arno Jul 18, 2016

I wouldn't pay such a premium to a guy who speculated on a LE watch. I'd rather pass and look at something else.
    Now if you really want it, i can understand you'll do it, but i wouldn't.
    There's no reasonable reason for the price to be up to twice the MSRP.
    Not sure it will decrease in the crazy way it increased. Seller can wait. They probably think there's only 1970 of these. One day or another someone will pay for it.

8. BruceTheManLee Jul 18, 2016

speaking of LE watches, I noticed that on Chron24.. three postings have been put up for CK2998 already.
    Average price = $11,329USD
    This is 74% above MSRP x taxes

9. Smspectre Jul 18, 2016

As you know I have a spare ck2998. But decided to keep it fo now I will prob sell it to a genuine collector enthusiast when it all settles down. Or if they do go silly price do a swap for a snoopy. Let's hope.

Texasjohn likes this.
  10. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 18, 2016

It seems ironic to me that the two Speedmasters causing so much speculation recently are both such aesthetic failures. With the CK2998 you have a large, mainly blank (white) area sitting high up in the dial, while the three, overly contrasting dark sub dials are squashed towards the bottom; overall the dial has a very unbalanced look. I also feel that a watch is not a Speedmaster in true spirit without the traditional white-on-black dial - so distinctive and legible. As for the Snoopy: basically a white dial - so not immediately recognisable as a Speedy - and a cartoon character image which just doesn't look appropriate on such an instrument. I see there are no less than 12 on Chrono 24 currently and some are now being more realistically priced, but even these are still being offered at twice the RRP. With this relative glut of watches on the pre-owned market, which would seem to show that several people did just order - despite their protestations - to obtain and make a quick 'profit', I can't see that they are going to make the prices currently being asked. Though I don't like the Snoopy myself, I do appreciate that for some Omega fans it's a watch they'd genuinely love to own, so I'll be happy to see them able to buy at a reasonable price rather than have a bunch of not brand-loyal people make 'loads of money' for very little effort.

Pun, blufinz52 and wsfarrell like this.
  11. Enzo Jul 18, 2016

Just goes to show that it really is in the eye of the beholder...I personally find the 2998 to be beautifully balanced and a joy to look at.

12. alam Jul 18, 2016

agree on both counts... :)

Pun, BruceTheManLee and Davidt like this.
  13. yinzerniner Jul 18, 2016

So in your view any 3-6-9 triple subdial layout in contrasting shades is "unbalanced?" I think Ms. Rindt would like a word.....
    [​IMG]

But for real different strokes, yada yada yada.
    As for the Silver Snoopy the cartoon beagle, 14 seconds demarcation and extra text really isn't as noticeable on the wrist as in pictures. That being said a simpler dial layout like the Alaska Project (sans uber subdial hands) would've been much preferred IMO.

14. BruceTheManLee Jul 18, 2016

different tastes and eye of beholder...
    the market will be what it is...if someone willing to pay over MSRP to get something they want and seller can get more than MSRP...all the more power to both of them!

15. Cabaiguan Jul 18, 2016

Disagree on the CK. Three register pandas have been around for a long time and they are mostly gorgeous, whether Rolex or Heuer or Omega. This watch just works on so many levels. However, I won't disagree on the Snoopy. I still don't get that one, although I can see the allure for Peanut fans.

BruceTheManLee likes this.
  16. EatMan Jul 18, 2016

As already noted, Snoopy and 14 seconds stuff are not really noticeable when on the wrist. Anyone looking at the watch from a reasonable viewing distance will just see a nice, well-balanced, clean white speedy with black bezel. Of course upon close examination you see unusual details that make this watch special. That is what makes this watch special to me, that it's a beautiful black and white chrono for non-omega folks, but for those in the know will see the details that separates the watch from others.

Buzz man likes this.
  17. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 19, 2016

I was further discussing the CK last night with a good friend who had said how much he likes it. After quite a lot of toing and froing, we agreed that he'd not really come up with any specific points of 'beauty'. What he did concede was that as a Special/Limited Edition, he felt it must have been very carefully designed and must therefore be of superior aesthetic quality. So maybe what we have here is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes (?)

Regarding 3 register dials/pandas, there are many I like. The success of a designer depends on their subtlety in exact positioning of the various elements and how colours, and most importantly how much they contrast, are used.

By the way, I was a big fan of Rindt, and remember well the fantastic battle with JYS at Silverstone in '69. And everyone sympathised so much with Nina after Monza, but that doesn't mean her taste in watches is foolproof! However, I'd also contend that her Universal Compax is a better looker than the CK; it illustrates my point above about subtlety in design. You'll see, for example, that the sub dials are more widely spaced-apart and this helps balance out the darker/lighter areas of the overall dial surface.

18. lillatroll Jul 19, 2016

The kind of money being asked for snoopies and the CK model on the secondhand market gives a buyer a lot of scope in terms of what they can get for their money, my line of thought is that if I were going to spend 10-15g on a watch I would want a watch that retails at that price rather than pay for a watch that retailed at half the money. Its a bit of a gamble to pay so much for a modern watch especially as it is such a subjective choice. At least with vintage watches you can track prices over a longer perspective and have some idea of what is a reasonable price.

Pun, Archer, Perseus and 3 others like this.
  19. Baco Noir Jul 19, 2016

Agreed. While I absolutely love the new Snoopy and would flip watch(es) to acquire one, I'd only do so after a few more years to see where prices land. The current pricing based on demand and hype is ridiculous.

20. BruceTheManLee Jul 19, 2016

If given the choice, I'd buy a Rolex Daytona Ceramic before the Snoopy for around that kind of money

Pun and Baco Noir like this.