Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Apr 21, 2013

Can anybody recommend a decent SnapBack Case Opener for Vintage watches. I have been using the manual method (a thin blade pocket knife) but need something for the more sticky cases!

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 21, 2013

3. ulackfocus Apr 21, 2013

Search Al Archer's posts. He has a really cool one he recommends.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2013

Think Al's costs more than most watches though lol.

5. Dablitzer Apr 21, 2013

Thanks guys! :)

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 21, 2013

I think Al recommended some really cool and really pricey bezel removers rather than caseback openers.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 21, 2013

Feel like we had this conversation in another thread....anyway not really keen on the unit shown above - you never pry on a case back to remove it, as that has the potential to damage the case edges. I use several tools, including razor blades for case backs with very small gaps to get into. Then the next tool is a simple case knife, and then these two:

[​IMG]

One of these has a rather thin blade that is still thicker than the case knife, and the other is quite thick. As noted, you never pry the back off, but you work the blade into the gap, and work it all around the case back until the gap is as wide as the tool you are using is. If the case back does not pop off at this point, you get a thicker tool, and repeat the process. So I have 4 steps from thinnest to thickest - razor blade, case knife, thin case back remover, then thick case back remover. Usually using 2 of these is enough to get any case back off without prying anything.

Cheers, Al

Lonestar likes this.