Forums Latest Members
  1. Madjam1966 Jul 8, 2017

As per the title, what would your preference be?

Thanks

2. albertob Jul 8, 2017

I will share my experience.

I first checked them online and the black looked much more sober and versatile.
    As I have a jewelry close to home, I went to try them on my wrist and surprisingly I discovered that the blue is, to me, much better than the black.
    I was wearing a black suit and I was expecting the black one to match better my jacket, but no, to me the blue was better. It looked more intriguing and the overall effect was simply fantastic.

At the end of the day, the suggestion is to go to try them in a jewelry and pick the one that tickles your gut feelings.
    Is all about your personal tastes and feelings ;-)

frabr, Fusion, semper_shells and 5 others like this.
  3. 67ViP Jul 8, 2017

Both...but my favorite is the brunette.

PSX_20170707_093050.jpg
    Caller, jflores, Wildebeest67 and 5 others like this.
  4. Madjam1966 Jul 8, 2017

Both so stunning ☺

fskywalker and 67ViP like this.
  5. jud Jul 8, 2017

I chose black, and very happy with my choice.

6. Madjam1966 Jul 8, 2017

Part of me (not being an SMP owner, yet) is still yearning for the last of the wavy dials (2220.80.00) but mint examples I have seen recently are close in price to that of a discounted brand new SMPc. Is the latest, flat dial a considerably better buy/improvement, would it be fair to say?

fskywalker likes this.
  7. Opti Jul 8, 2017

Blue for me... IMG_1927.JPG

8. albertob Jul 8, 2017

These are timepieces which are almost forever.
    I own a Genève from 1969, and is still running perfectly, gaining 1 sec a day. And I guess technology in 1969 was somehow not advanced as today.

IMHO few years of technological improvement do not change so much, when it comes to watches. The main difference between the two, if I remember correctly, is that the wave dial has a steel bezel, while the new flat dial has a ceramic. The rest, doesn't change the game so much.

The ceramic is supposed to resister more against scratches and time. But is more fragile when it comes to shocks.

Cheers

fskywalker likes this.
  9. billythekid Jul 8, 2017

black.. it has a ambience

10. fskywalker Jul 8, 2017

I had both colors, regular and 50th anniv versions, FS and mid size....... prefer black since the blue color is too light for my taste (wish they use instead the more deep blue used on the PO's):

IMG_6828.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_7879.JPG

Edited Jul 8, 2017
  11. Croweater Jul 8, 2017

Blue for me.

12. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jul 8, 2017

After seeing both in person at my new AD I prefer the black. Of course I also own a blue dial AT so maybe that is coloring my decision.

fskywalker, 67ViP and Madjam1966 like this.
  13. Madjam1966 Jul 8, 2017

Indeed. That is my understanding too. And some minimal lume changes I believe.

I really am stuck as to what to choose. Will a 2220.80.80 hold its value better due to being the last of the wavy dials or is a new ceramic with considerable discount offering better value. A first world 'problem', I know.

fskywalker likes this.
  14. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 8, 2017

One thing about the SMPc, the blue dial model uses a black date wheel for some inexplicable reason. It isn't all that obvious, but for some it is a dealbreaker. That and the lack of waves is the reason why I stick to the pre ceramics, though the black dial SMPc is undeniably slick.

fskywalker, 67ViP and Madjam1966 like this.
  15. Madjam1966 Jul 8, 2017

fskywalker likes this.
  16. fskywalker Jul 8, 2017

Well, something like this from Omega would had been cool (Blue SMPc with wave dial):

IMG_6832.JPG

I built it from parts, later sold it to pursue other projects

Mozziebite, padders and 67ViP like this.
  17. 67ViP Jul 8, 2017

The newest version gets you the 2500D Co-Axial movement, ceramic bezel and the lacquered dial...which looks pretty awesome in person. I went in the store to buy a 300 Master Co-Axial, didn't like dial at all and walked out with the black SMPc and several thousand dollars still in my pocket.

wilfreb, Jking and fskywalker like this.
  18. any4xx Jul 8, 2017

I flipped mental coins for weeks trying to decide. I ended up buying blue, mostly because I knew I would be buying a Speedmaster in black sooner than later and wanted some variety. Both are beautiful.

jfinch, wilfreb, Wildebeest67 and 2 others like this.
  19. albertob Jul 8, 2017

Honestly, I would not overbrain on which holds the best value. Clearly we are not speaking about a small amount of money and we would like this to, for a lack of better word, depreciate as slow as possible. But there are many factors in the equation and I'm not sure how these small things would change the value so much.

It depends by the model, by the brand, by the trend and many other factors that are difficult to predict. Maybe in one year the wave dial will become the new status symbol, or maybe not. Who knows.
    A friend of mine bought a Rolex GMT before prices skyrocketed, now he would sell it for more than what he paid for, considering inflation, obviously. Same applies to some speedies.

If I can give you an advice: just try them and pic the one that makes you the happier :)

fskywalker likes this.
  20. sairy Jul 8, 2017

I have both black and blue. If you are traditional choose black, if you are modern, need something special, strong, choose blue.

But in my opinion, the blue one is nearly the same black one when you have low light or not strong light enough. You can compare both of them here:

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5228.JPG

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG