Forums Latest Members
  1. Rowdy Feb 26, 2020

Hello all. I wanted to get opinions on a couple titanium SMP’s I came across on the bay. Both of the watches appear mint. Seller wants around $2500 each. I think he has them priced a bit on the high side. I have always been intrigued by the titanium version of the SMP’s but heard titanium is more prone to scratches, much more so than stainless. Would love to hear what others have to say about their experience with the Ti versions. I would be happy with either watch, but I was thinking for the black dial I could change the bezel insert to black and have a Ti version of the 2254? The electric blue I would leave as is. I had a 2255 EB for a long time and sold it because I thought it was a bit blingy, but the Ti version is toned down and looks nice. Again any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/164086514195

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/164088018267

fskywalker likes this.
  2. funkright Feb 26, 2020

I've owned several Ti watches and never really had a problem with scratches, plus you can brush them out easily if they do occur. The weight of a Ti watch is amazing. Looking around for a good Ti GMT at the moment!

Rowdy likes this.
  3. 10mmauto Feb 26, 2020

I am a huge fan of titanium. In those two, make note that the blue is really blue. I (personally) don't like that combination. I'd much rather go black with titanium. (There were a couple of 2231.50's on WUS recently from known sellers that were going for a little less.) Here is my titanium - so light, you can forget you are wearing it. I love this watch.
    IMG_2399.JPG

Rowdy likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 26, 2020

I am perhaps a little biased as an owner but I rate the titanium SMP very highly and don't think that price it too out of line if a full set and running well, well maybe $100-200 high but not way over the top. (See last para!)

I would not personally downgrade a 2231.50 with a black aluminium bezel, if you want that look you may as well just get a steel 2254 which will be around the same money if not a little cheaper. I love the SMP and have now owned virtually all the 3 hander variations in my search for the perfect combination. After wearing and moving on Bonds, Blakes and GMTs of various flavours I have narrowed it down to a 2231.50 in titanium for its light weight and tool watch utility, and the 2230.50 non AC (gold bezel insert, AML and lume surrounds) for its touches of class and quality. Both watches look superficially similar but wear very differently. When sold new back in 2002, the titanium model was ~45% more than the steel 2254, the gold bezel non AC actually had an asking price of over 55% more! Personally I think Omega priced them right and the narrowing of values subsequently is big a win for the used buyer.

EDIT: I notice the black dial ebay watch has no papers, both have sketchy (ie zero) service history just vague comments about running well and I don't think that box is original to the black dial either so my price comments above really apply to serviced full sets. I would be back another couple of hundred if pricing those due to this and would want either at nearer $2,000-2200 but that is me.

Edited Feb 27, 2020
    Rowdy likes this.
  5. fskywalker Apr 4, 2020

Love Ti SMP's. Yes, you can easily put a black insert on a 2231.50 and have a "titanium 2254" In my case I put the non AC dial model (2230) dial and bezel insert, plus a PO second sweep hand to my 150th anniversary Ti 22342.20.00 to achieve the look below: :)

IMG_6080.jpg

Rowdy and 10mmauto like this.
  6. fskywalker Apr 5, 2020

This is how a 2231.50 with a 2254 black bezel insert would look like (black insert placed on top of the watch):

IMG_6337.JPG

Rowdy likes this.