Forums Latest Members
  1. Ru4scuba Feb 19, 2015

All,

My beloved first "real" watch isn't keeping a charge. It's the original blu faced SMP (ref 2531.80). I've had her serviced twice in her lifespan...once at five years and again at 10. She was working fine until one day she wouldn't hold a charge at all. If I shake her pretty vigorously, I can get 10-12 seconds of the seconds hand moving...winding doesn't work either.

Thoughts? Last service at Seacaucus was only two years ago...I've contemplated popping the back off to see if there is anything inherently obvious. Gotta get this one back in the fold...it was a gift from my wife on our wedding day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424348899.746635.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

I'd just get your watchmaker to check it out

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 19, 2015

Love it (even better after a few rums) when i read its not working even when i shake the shit out of it.

4. JG808 Feb 19, 2015

It's gotta be checked out, but surely it's nothing that can't be fixed. My Exp II did the same thing last year. A full service later and it's running like new.

5. chickenman26 Feb 19, 2015

I think that's more a sign that something's worn out, broken, or jammed. Even if you found something obvious, the chance you could repair that watch yourself is probably zero. Check with your boutique or an AD. You might just find that the 2 year warranty from the Secaucus service is still in force...but not if you open the case.

6. Ru4scuba Feb 21, 2015

Yeah well..when ur precious ain't working, you'll dance a jig to get her whole again!

STANDY likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2015

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 21, 2015

"The video was both graphic and deeply disturbing."

He is apparently very easily disturbed...the chances of the shaking seen in that video damaging that particular watch are so close to zero they pretty much don't exist. In a manual winding watch like one shown, in particular with that movement (ETA 6497-2), it would take a lot more than simply shaking it to cause any damage or even affect the timekeeping at all. I have a ton of experience with that movement (and the related family) and they are extremely robust. I play tennis sometimes while wearing a watch with the 6497-1movement in it, and it has had zero affect on the watch in terms of overall accuracy, and has not caused any damage at all.

With an automatic watch, shaking it a lot can possibly cause a problem, because by design the rotor has mass to it that is now swinging around creating forces that could be problematic, depending on the design. I would be more concerned about really sudden impact style shocks than I would someone holding a watch in their hand and shaking it.

Although it would be great if everyone actually RTFM, very few people do in my experience, and yet disastrous results with damaged watches are not seen on forums every single day. The post he made was a bit condescending to be honest...

Cheers, Al

Mark Farrell likes this.
  9. chickenman26 Feb 21, 2015

Good point, Al. He may not have RTFM. So what do you think the chances are he took it out of the box, shook it for ten seconds with no manual winding of the crown, and expected it would run for hours?

10. ctpete Feb 21, 2015

Yup....needs o go in for service. Might still be covered by their service guaranty. I have the same watch - love it!

11. Ru4scuba Feb 21, 2015

Thanks much...hadn't even considered Secaucus warrantied their work. Don't recall the Omega rep mentioning this to me. I'll have to explore this avenue.

I concur...having owned many automatics over the years and leading an active lifestyle, I've never had an issue with the amount of jostling that occurs jogging, hiking, scuba diving etc.

That said, the machining video at the end was quite impressive!

Edited Feb 21, 2015
  12. yinzerniner Feb 27, 2015

Yes, definitely bring it into a good watchmaker. Doesn't have to be an Omega shop only, since the movement in your seamaster is a pretty generic one, so the diagnosis should be quick and easy.

13. Ru4scuba Mar 28, 2015

So...I went to take off the bracelet with the intention of popping the back off her, and when I flipped her over she was running...and has been for four hours. I don't know how to explain this...I tried everything for the past month and she wouldn't budge....remove the bracelet and voila...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427524133.718553.jpg

14. chickenman26 Mar 28, 2015

I'm not a gynecologist, but I'd be happy to have a look...

OmegaRookie likes this.
  15. Hijak Mar 28, 2015

::rimshot::

16. Canuck Mar 28, 2015

I can't count the times I have had modern, good quality (Longines, Tag, Oris, etc) automatics sent to me because they aren't performing well. I put them on my watch winder, totally unwound, leave them for 8 to 12 hours, take them off the watch winder, and do a static test to see how long they run. Almost invariably they run for about 40 hours. This indicates to me the watch is being worn by someone who has probably only, ever, had Quartz watches, and have no idea that automatics have to be worn in order that they can wind themselves. I return the watch with instructions describing the necessary wearing information, and how mechanical watches differ from quartz, and that usually solves the problem.

17. Ru4scuba Mar 28, 2015

While I believe your story is true, at least in my account, this watch did not want to work on the winder, on my arm, after multiple attempts to wind...etc

18. Canuck Mar 28, 2015

Someone will please correct me if I am incorrect, but I believe some Eta auto wind movements have an automatic wind system in which the rotor winds only one way! I believe the calibre 7750 is one example. Obviously, this would not apply to yours. Put one of these on an automatic watch winder which is turning the wrong way, and the watch won't wind! I am astonished that your watch behaves this way, even though I think you said you have had it serviced twice. Having re-read your initial post, it almost occurs to me that you may have a broken mainspring. If this were to be the problem, this is not something you you be able to identify easily with the back off.

I recently had a calibre 7750 in a Breitling brought to me which had a problem not unlike your Omega. The owner had sent it back to the distributor twice, and no joy! I have a protocol that I follow in troubleshooting such behaviour. I determined that the bridle on the mainspring was slipping prematurely. I replaced the mainspring, properly lubricating the bridle, and it solved all of the owner's problems with it.

19. Ru4scuba Mar 28, 2015

Oddly last night after wearing it without problems for 10 hours I put it on the winder. When I woke up this morning I noticed it stopped shortly after being taken off and put on the winder...Frustrating to say the least!

20. Canuck Mar 29, 2015

Changing a mainspring just on general principle, might be a cure for the behaviour you describe. If it was my watch, that is what I would do. As much as modern alloy mainsprings are often called "unbreakable", they have been known to break. Even if the spring isn't broken, if the bridle is slipping prematurely, that is something that can most often be cured by installing a new, correct mainspring, properly lubricated.