Forums Latest Members
  1. Matt-C Mar 1, 2013

Hi

So this morning is the first time I've had to set the date on my SMP. It doesn't have the 'quick date set' function so I have to pull the crown out to the first click and move the hour hand forwards or backwards as required.

I noticed when the hour hand moves it jumps or sort of 'flirts' quite erratically to the next hour. It stops spot on where it should but is that normal for this movement, I though it would be smooth like setting the time?

Thanks Matt

2. dkpw Mar 1, 2013

When I had a PO 8500 mine did that - it sounds normal behaviour to me for a non-quick set date.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2013

Completely normal, as the hour wheel is an assembly made to click in one hour increments. Have had to replace quite a few of these recently as they do wear out and fail over time. Mostly in the SMP GMT "great White" models, but also just replaced one in a DeVille co-axial. Here is a side view of the hour wheel...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

4. ulackfocus Mar 1, 2013

Al, what caliber(s) have the issue with the hour wheel?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2013

Any that have the quick hour setting function, so Cal. 1128, 2628, etc. I would assume the 8500 will eventually have the same issues. I am now stocking the hour wheel for the most common calibres, and in many cases it's actually the same part, but sometimes with different heights depending on how thick the dial is, etc.

Cheers, Al

6. khoalety Mar 1, 2013

Since this is about date setting, I wonder if I can ask an additional question about the date setting. :eek: The salesperson I bought the watch from, he told me to avoid changing the date between 6PM to midnight. He said you can't damage the wheel of some kind in the watch. In my case, my watch is the current PO 42mm. Is there any truth to this claim???

Thank you.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2013

If it's a Cal. 8500 the only way to change the date is to quick advance the hour hand, and this can be done at any time.

Cheers, Al

8. khoalety Mar 2, 2013

Cool! :cool: Good to know anytime is a good time and using the quick advance the hour-hand. I hate to wait since now is almost 6PM. :mad: Thank you, Al!!! :)