Forums Latest Members

SMP 300m Master Chronometer next year?

1. Mozziebite Aug 29, 2017

Assuming that Omega are on track for updating the entire catalogue (bar the Moonwatch) with MC calibers by 2018, can we assume that we'll get a SMP MC? I mean, they wouldn't phase it out of the Seamaster family since the introduction of the 300s along with the POs as the main diver? I can't imagine they would. It's pretty iconic and must be one of their biggest sellers.

I've got no real reason for thinking that, it's just that I've had a soft spot for the SMP since way back. If we did get one, I'd assume it would have the 8800 / 8900 caliber from the smaller POs? Display case back? Push clasp? That would tick lots of boxes.. :thumbsup:

2. BostonCanuck Aug 29, 2017

This question has been on my mind as well. I believe 2018 is the 60th anniversary of the Seamaster, so they're likely to do something big to commemorate that. The question is what? The challenge to the upgrade is the thickness of the movement. I really don't think they're going to want to increase the case height of this iconic watch any further, especially at a time when they are working so hard to shave millimeters off other models like the new Aqua Terras and Speedmaster Racing.

The SMP has become Omega's entry-level watch to the brand in recent years as well, and probably something of a cash cow given the high volume of these pieces that they move. I think they'll end up putting the thinner, single-barrel versions of the movement into this watch, while the Planet Ocean line will continue to be outfitted with the double-barrels.

But everything upgraded by 2018? I can't image they're going to make that timeline. I do expect the De Ville Prestige line to be re-vamped in the near future with single-barrel master chronometers, as these watches are getting really long in the tooth.

Edited Aug 29, 2017
  3. Mozziebite Aug 29, 2017

That would be the 70th anniversary, BC. And you could safely put your house on some sort of tasty LE for that. :D As for the movement, the 8800 single barrel is currently in the 39.5mm PO, while the double barrel 8900 is in the 43.5mm, so I'm not sure what they'd go for if the SMP stayed the same size.

BostonCanuck likes this.
  4. sjg22 Aug 30, 2017

Biggest issue for me about the MC is absolutely the thickness.

I'd love to see a remake of the Seamaster 300 165.024 for the 60th (or 70th) anniversary. That, to me, is the perfect iteration of this watch.

marco likes this.
  5. flw history nerd Sep 2, 2017

Next year will also be the 25th anniversary of the first Seamaster Diver - it has remained largely unchanged in appearance, with only glacially evolutionary changes, since then (unlike the original Seamaster 300, for example, which changed quite a bit from 1957 to the early 1970s). Omega may decide to do an anniversary LE (more likely) or an upgrade to a Master Chronometer movement (a bit less likely, in my view, due to the probable need to raise the price on the watch if they go this route).

The Diver line will be updated eventually, I'm sure - but the standard Diver 300M model is the least expensive non-quartz watch in the entire Omega catalogue, and they move a ton of them just as they are. I'm betting on a LE instead. Now to sit back and watch them prove me wrong ...

Shailor and BostonCanuck like this.
  6. BostonCanuck Sep 2, 2017

I think you're right about another LE being the more likely event for this iconic diver. I liked your observation about the slow and continuous improvement they have applied to this watch. Kind of reminds me of the Rolex approach, which in combination with limiting production to more closely meet demand, seems somewhat more successful than Omega's business model these days.

7. Mozziebite Sep 2, 2017

Omega did state a couple of years back that they were aiming to have a MC calibre in every watch in the catalogue by 2018, with the exception of the Moonwatch.

8. flw history nerd Sep 2, 2017

True - I'm just not sure that they'll get there quite on schedule. There are a number of other watches in other lines, such as the Constellation and the De Ville, that still have non-MC calibres. Omega would have to retire the 2500D, for instance, which is in a few models other than the Diver - and they'd have to do it all at once. As I say, maybe they will. They do seem to be moving at a brisk pace.

9. flw history nerd Sep 6, 2017

10. Mozziebite Sep 6, 2017

flw likes this.
  11. any4xx Sep 6, 2017

Meh: since I bought one a couple of months ago, I'm thinking it's nearly guaranteed to be improved very soon.

Shailor and BostonCanuck like this.
  12. chickenman26 Sep 7, 2017

My OB sales guy actually talked me out of a SMP300 last month, advising me to wait for the next edition "supposed" to come sometime next year...with an 8500 movement. I own 2 pre-coaxial smp300s, and the thinness is a big plus for me. The newer coax models are already thicker than I'd like, so I hope any MC version, if it happens, has the thickness kept to a minimum.

13. Poppydog Sep 7, 2017

Just hope they don't end up with yet another stupid glass back model. There'll soon be no Omegas I want at this rate.

14. Riviera Paradise Sep 7, 2017

I think he probably meant a date version of the single barrel 8806 METAS movement that they are using in this year's Railmasters, which are not that thick. Hopefully they will chop off the HE valve:) and bring back the waves...if so I might actually considering buying one:)

BostonCanuck likes this.
  15. BostonCanuck Sep 7, 2017

That could very well be. The 8801 is the METAS single barrel with date that Omega has inside Seamaster Edizione Venezia, at a case thickness of just under 12 mm, so it can be done!

I too like the wave dial, and don't really have a problem with the HE valve on the SMP Diver 300 models.

Edited Sep 7, 2017
    Riviera Paradise likes this.
  16. Riviera Paradise Sep 7, 2017

The Tresor with the anti-magnetic 8511, is just 10.6mm thick, has a date, jumping time zone hour hand, but is hand-wound. I do think a 12-13mm Seamaster SMP should be possible with the single barrel movements, which will still offer more power reserve (55h) than the current 2500 co-axials (48h).

If they do put in a Metas certified calibre in the 2018 SMP, I expect the watch will be more expensive than the Railmaster non-LE AT, which has been priced retail at US$5.100,00 on a bracelet..:rolleyes:

17. wilfreb Sep 11, 2017

The current SMP is the best seller on huge watch sites like Jomashop and Authentic Watches, not only the best seller Omega watch, the best seller watch overall since 2015, so I doubt Omega will discontinue it, and upgrading it with the super thick MC it will remove the charm of this lovely iconic watch, have no complaints on the 2500D, but upgrades are always welcome [​IMG]

Mozziebite likes this.
  18. Riviera Paradise Sep 11, 2017

It is indeed very popular as the entry-level Omega diver and considered a good value proposition.

If Omega do introduce a new 8800 calibre it would not necessarily gain thickness, it would only increase in price to justify adding the anti-magnetic stuff, Metas certification.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it would probably have to be priced higher than the Railmaster non-LE. Not sure if it would sell effectively at a higher price point, and such a move could well backfire against Omega.

Imagine that the SMP 300 was still sold today only in the aluminum bezel version. A new SMP 300 with ceramic bezel, bracelet extension clasp and Metas certified movement with slightly increased power reserve, well I think that complete package could justify a price increase to around US$5K-5.5K. The "problem" Omega have is that the current SMP already looks good, has a ceramic bezel, is their thinnest sports watch / diver, so not much to add to what is already a good package. I would not buy a new SMP 300 at a higher price point just for the new 8800 calibre.

19. wilfreb Sep 11, 2017

I totally get your point and partially agree, if it doesn't add any thickness I'd say go for the new movement.

Currently the SMP list price is $4,400 if they add the new goodies and don't change the iconic design, and ask 5k 5.5k for it, I think it will be a good move.