Forums Latest Members
  1. happytapy Aug 29, 2015

Its finally finished. Well it's the best that I can do at any rate.

This is the Speedy 2 that a good friend of mine owns. It was in working condition when he handed it over for a repair and clean up. OK, I admit it, I begged him to do something about this one as it seemed a shame (to me at least) that this watch was suffering so. He agreed to let me get hands on, but I am not sure what he thought he was getting himself into. He is not a watch guy, but with the refurb I am hoping he will start wearing this a little more.

[​IMG]

The entire watch was a bit of a mess, case, glass, and movement. It was in going condition, but really needed a service and more. A few new parts, including a main spring and new crown, and away we went. Here it is before it went away for servicing. Bracelet is original.

[​IMG]

Amazing what comes out of an ultra sonic cleaner. No movement parts in here of course, just the case and bracelet.

[​IMG]

Reassembled ready for the vital organs. A couple of nicks I can't remove just visible here.
    I managed to salvage the pushers back to a reasonable condition and the case is probably the best work I have done to date. Lineal brushing of case sides, polishing to the swage lines and sunrise brushing to the case top. Not Omega spec, but I am reasonably happy with this. It's not perfect, but I am hoping to get a tick on this one from the owner.

[​IMG]

The dial was interesting. It appears to be a grey dial and is original. Of the 3 industry experts I know, all said they thought I should leave it as it is, and not rework it. Varying degrees of reasoning but essentially the argument was, of those that love this watch the most, they would probably prefer it left the way it is. My friend left it up to me to decide on what was done or not done. Just hope I have done the right thing as I was voted off the island and by myself on the replacement of the dial and hands, etc.

[​IMG]

Bracelet brushed up OK.

[​IMG]

As you can see, then lume is shot and the hands have seen better days. The Ozzie summer sun is a killer for finishes like this and I know it has been through a lot of summer holidays.

[​IMG]

Various shots of the completed job. Running like a top but I am no photographer.

I hope you like the outcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rogart, JimInOz and Darlinboy like this.
  2. lillatroll Aug 29, 2015

Well if your friend doesn't want it I have a good home for it, it looks really nice, love that dial, no way should that be changed. Good work.

happytapy likes this.
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 29, 2015

I keep on wavering on whether i want a mk ii. It is shots like yours that keep me in the hunt

happytapy likes this.
  4. Esmarch Aug 29, 2015

Really nice work if you ask me.

And I agree about leaving the dial and hands as is - if it truly has been beat up by the aussie summer to look like that then that's the way it should stay. Lots of history of a country's weather and the wearer's life captured right there on his wrist!

Edited Aug 30, 2015
    happytapy likes this.
  5. Geo! Aug 29, 2015

Happytapy you should be a Happychappie with that result. Very well done! :)

happytapy likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 29, 2015

Excellent outcome! Enjoy that beauty. :thumbsdown:

happytapy likes this.
  7. happytapy Aug 29, 2015

Thank you everyone for the kind words of support. It goes back to my friend this evening. At a formal Polish dinner at another friends house. Perhaps between the Rollmops and Vodka he might get some wrist time with his SMP. [emoji15] [emoji483][emoji483]

Geo! likes this.