Forums Latest Members

SOLD Smiths Astral (“W10” movement, November 1969)

1. Revo Dec 3, 2021

FS: Smiths Astral (“W10” movement, November 1969)

Incoming necessitates sale.

A really lovely example of a late Smiths “Made In England” watch.

Dial: is in mint condition. Lovely slate or graphite grey with a slightly metallic sunburst effect. Very cool. Applied two-tone hour marker blocky batons in black and silver. Uber modern.

Case: Stainless steel in very good condition. 18mm lugs and snap-on stainless steel back (n.b. the back is a nice tight fit so only remove it if you are confident you can get it back on!) Crown appears original.

Movement: highest grade Smiths cal. 60466E with hacking seconds and blue hairspring (mil spec: same as the W10 from the same period). Setting, winding and running well. Date code “119” = November 1969

£285 including RMSD in the UK.

Apologies for the poor pics. I’m fairly knowledgable about vintage Smiths but rubbish with a camera. Good references here and elsewhere.

IMG_1835.JPG IMG_1886.JPG IMG_1900.JPG IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1892.JPG IMG_1895.JPG
    Tet, tmw57, Fled and 8 others like this.
  2. rbob99 Dec 3, 2021

What is the diameter?

Revo likes this.
  3. Revo Dec 4, 2021

Diameter is ~35mm although it wears larger due to the thin bezel. It's very stylish and "modern".

Hope this helps

Ollie

rbob99 likes this.
  4. Revo Dec 5, 2021

SOLD

From my message to the buyer:

"It's a lot of watch for the money and that movement is fantastic. The mil spec cal. 60466E turn up quite a lot in the civilian watches towards the very end of Smiths' in-house manufacturing. Another 12 months and they'd shut up shop completely. I really like the early stuff (1945-55) and these very late ones (1965-70). Bremont et al. would kill to be able to make something like this, a simple three-hander manual wind movement, in the UK and there'd be a zero or two on the end of the price if they ever manage it."

Just adding this for extra info in case anyone is interested or on the lookout for a vintage Smiths.

wilderbeast, rhetoric and rbob99 like this.
  5. wilderbeast Dec 5, 2021

Shhhh, @Revo - those of us who already appreciate Smiths don’t need another hundred acolytes pushing those prices up… :)

Congrats to the buyer - this was a bargain.

Revo and rhetoric like this.
  6. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Dec 6, 2021

I was soo tempted by this one, lovely little thing. Congrats to both parties.

If the buyer doesn't bond(assuming it was here) please shoot me a message.

Revo likes this.