Forums Latest Members

Small Chronograph #2: Jaeger-branded UG Ref 5184

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 1, 2014

UG had an impressive portfolio of firms that it supplied chronograph movements to. These included manufactures - Vacheron, Girrard Perregaux, Zenith - as well as retailers - Hermes, Jaeger. This is one of the latter.

[​IMG]

Beautiful lacquer finished dial with sleek, art-deco numerals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pattern is well-documented in UG's repretoire in both silver-on-black and black-on-white, and coincidentally, when you go to the history section of JLC's website, under the 1947 - chronograph entry (http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/US/en/content/chronograph-wristwatches), you get this:
    Manufacture-1947-105.jpg

The black dial presents the usual photographic difficulties

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the dealer from whom I bought this went a little nuts with the case polish - I doubt it was this flawless when it left Mr. Jaeger's shop

[​IMG]

Inside is a workhorse Universal Cal 285, such as one might find in Compurs or UNi-Compaxes but for some changed bridges. It is marked Fab. Suisse, like the dial and the case, identifying it as a french market watch, as one would expect with a Jaeger.

[​IMG]

The case number dates it to 1936, which is consistent with the 'Jaegaer' (as opposed to Jaeger-LeCoultre'). The 4 digit reference is also consistent with that date.

[​IMG]

With the other small chronograph http://omegaforums.net/threads/small-chronograph-1-omega-101-002.9433/#post-110619

[​IMG]

May thanks to Noodia for helping me vet this, and particularly for his research and insights regarding dial printing for this model.:thumbsup:

ELV, luzer, NT931 and 11 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2014

How did I know Lou would own one? :whistling:

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jan 1, 2014

How beautiful.

4. timeismoney Jan 1, 2014

Dibs!::love:: ::love::

5. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jan 2, 2014

That's lovely. 33 or 35 mm? Congrats!

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 2, 2014

thanks all!

35mm, Larry. 33mm is a little small for a chrono, even for me.

7. cell1010 Jan 3, 2014

Wow, this is a stunning piece. And it seems, that Noodia is getting the king of universal. Fantastic research about an amazing watch. The rose gold version is also a joy.

Thanks for sharing Lous!

8. Noodia Jan 4, 2014

Small is beautiful and this one makes no exception, the Jaeger signed dial is a strong plus along with its black color.

Thank you for the interesting review and congratulations for this new addition Lou !

9. timeismoney Jan 4, 2014

I think 33mm fits fine on my 6.75" wrist :) but 35mm is the perfect size. I have been looking for a Jaeger/ UG for a while. Please do send one my way if you come across one or you get sick of yours, Lou :D

image.jpg
  10. MattS Jan 6, 2014

wow Lou, this is beautiful!...simple, elegant and sporty at the same time!
    small wrists are lucky, they can wear such little sweeties!...for me mission impossible!...but that would look very sweet on a lady's wrist as well!...
    congrats and thanks for sharing!

Matt

11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jan 15, 2014

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

that's an interesting find. Given that the watch has a tachymeter around the outer circumference, why do you suppose the manufacturer would put another tachymeter spiral around the center?

13. timeismoney Jan 15, 2014

One sponsored by Hermes and the other by Jaeger?

14. woodwkr2 Feb 22, 2014

Are you planning to disclose that your "almost NOS" example is a re-dial?--because it looks like I've beat you to it.

There's also a few factual inaccuracies in your listing information about Jaeger's history with Universal.

I'd point you towards Sala's well regarded book, which has an entire section on the watches that they did for third parties like Jaeger.

Not trying to beat you up.. but a few things need some adjusting/further research.

15. Adubilo Feb 22, 2014

Yes, the dial has been refinished.

16. Adubilo Feb 22, 2014

Will take your advise on the book for sure. Always wanting to learn more It seems some different experts always have a different account of history behind these things, my information came from credible sources as well. But then again, its why vintages watches can be so Interesting.