Forums Latest Members
  1. redpcar Jul 19, 2015

Ok. I got fed up trying to locate a bezel and or bezel insert and decided to try painting an insert on my basket case 2913. I picked this watch up 10 years ago as a project. The previous owner was a watchmaker who had a crappy redial done on it. Hands had the chrome polished off and the bezel was stripped including the gooseneck pip broken off. The good news is that it runs awesome. The price I paid was equal to just buying a nice movement.

Here is a link to our Japanese friends site providing me with inspiration.
    http://www.sannoh.or.jp/omega/page04zx.html

I'm sure everyone here has seen his Omega pics
    http://www.sannoh.or.jp/omega

He used adhesive tape for the black. I didn't think clear coat would stick well enough so I used satin black enamel, numbers from a model train shop and satin clear coat. Pretty straight forward work. Color sanding black paint and applying the dry transfer markers then clear coat. The pip is homemade and still has me wondering what to do. Didn't spend much time on it as I was skeptical of the outcome. Didn't turn out too bad. Better than the vinyl sticker on it before........

seamaster new bezel (2).jpg

HeuerLoon, X350 XJR, ock2915 and 2 others like this.
  2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 19, 2015

why not send it to Aldo?

3. emilio Jul 20, 2015

Like the result!

Off course not aldo however you did a great job!

ock2915 likes this.
  4. redpcar Jul 20, 2015

If you are familiar with baseball:
    Aldo is quite expensive. There is nothing about this watch untouched. Heck, even the hands have been re-chromed. = STRIKE ONE
    Aldo has a long backup. 9 months = STRIKE TWO
    Aldo lives in Italy. There are only a few countries with worse postal systems. = STRIKE THREE

If this watch were more pristine, maybe Aldo. But even then, it would still be a re-done bezel :(.

When I bought this watch. The seller had the hands polished to look copper:whipped:, polished the chrome off the inner bezel to another copper finish :whipped:, just had the dial re-done to a gloss black :whipped:, and had leaned on the case heavily with the buffer :whipped:. He thought it looked great ::facepalm2::

5. Davidt Jul 20, 2015

Nice work. Have you got any before pics from when you first got it?

6. redpcar Jul 20, 2015

Sorry. No pics of the earlier version. It has been a work in progress in my spare time.
    Just imagine brass hands, brass inner reflector ring and a gloss black dial. Strange.