Forums Latest Members

Skyfall Aqua Terra vs. Rolex BLNR

1. mdgrwl Nov 3, 2016

Gang - I'm a bit crossed.

Obviously there are huge differences between these two watches...but to keep it simple, gut check: if you were going to going to work or out to dinner with your friends & family (business casual attire) which would you grab for - and why ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PowerChucker likes this.
  2. Cobain Nov 3, 2016

Omega, not so flashy blends in nicely with most attires.

munichblue likes this.
  3. merowinger Nov 3, 2016

Both are nice, but I prefer the AT because of the fantastic dial:
    [​IMG]

Knezz, Longbow, munichblue and 3 others like this.
  4. ck1109 Nov 3, 2016

Having owned both, I prefer the AT to the BLNR. The BLNR is too chunky and heavy for me. Plus, the AT has the aesthetically better looking dial.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 3, 2016

I don't own a Rolex. I do own the Skyfall, but I never wear it. If I was not a watch person and only wanted to own one watch to cover all needs, then the Skyfall is the one to own/wear. Its attractive looking and goes with most any attire. The Rolex...well the best comparison I can say is when I owned my Porsche Cayenne S. Way more attention than I wanted. I loved driving that car, but the oh, you drive a Porsche comments drove me crazy (its a freaking SUV, not a turbo 911). Not heard a single comment about my replacement vehicle, a Rav4.

ElHeffe, Willem023 and LawBrk like this.
  6. Riviera Paradise Nov 3, 2016

Of course, if your work involves keeping track of several time zones I would go for the BLNR. The Rolex will probably draw more attention and comments, of course, and only you can judge how that will be interpreted in your work environment and by families and friends. The AT, similar to the Explorer 1 (have you considered that Explorer?) is more discreet, so might be the better option for you.

You asked for a personal analysis from the forum members..if we had to make the choice AT/BLNR, my 2 cents below, but taking into account my personal rotation (I do not know the OP's collection / rotation):

I personally do have to track several time zones EST, PST and Rio local time, so the BLNR is certainly a watch that is coming back on the radar for me, as I do see it as having potential as an excellent international business watch.

For a more informal family/friends dinner, even if I did own the BLNR, I would probably use in my rotation the Explorer, AT bumble bee (on leather strap), Speedy XI 45th or Orbis Hour Vision (have you looked at the Orbis Hour Vision or blue dial Globemaster?) ...even with all the Rio Olympics advertising, Omega is not seen as an expensive watch in Rio and no one recognizes the Explorer. So I would probably use the AT Blue and not the BLNR in that environment, if I owned both.

I would probably wear my Explorer 2, SM300MC/Nato strap or Breitling SuperOcean Heritage for lunch, as in my rotation these three are essentially casual day watches and do not draw much attention.

For a more formal dinner or social event with friends and family I would use my JLC Reverso Duo as hardly anyone knows about JLC here and even a cheaper Cartier Tank would draw more attention. I would only use the BLNR for executive meetings with clients and some "casual" social day event where I am probably having to meet some awful business men who do care about the Rolex status symbol and the BLNR comes across as being cool but not trying to hard.

I do think that this is all very much about the context of the OP's environment. I think the OP will be happy with any choice you make: AT Blue or BLNR. But based on your post I think you will probably lean to the AT:)

Edited Nov 3, 2016
    Longbow, kkt, Foo2rama and 1 other person like this.
  7. meganfox17 Nov 3, 2016

Well Said @Riviera Paradise !
    Thank God you didn't turn the thread into a Rolex vs Omega free-for all[emoji14]

Longbow and Riviera Paradise like this.
  8. Jking something intelligent and witty... Nov 3, 2016

I'd go with the AT...although I'm partial as I own a blue dialed AT. Just an awesome all around watch.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  9. w.finkenstaedt Nov 3, 2016

AT for sure. Most versatile watch I own.

It's that watch in my roll that I can pick on any given day and it'll be appropriate for whatever I'm doing as long as it's not diving (it could handle it, but I don't want to subject it to that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. VillageIdiot Nov 3, 2016

They both look nice, and it generally boils down to what you like.

If you ask here, most people will say "Omega".

If you ask in TRF or some other Rolex forum, most people there will probably say, "BLNR".

Longbow and Riviera Paradise like this.
  11. Dal Nov 3, 2016

I am new here and my story is I bought my first high end watch for my 40th with savings -it was a huge decision which I debated with myself for about 18 months. What all of his boils down to is knowing I only had one purchase it needed to be all encompassing. It was my only watch so would need to look not good but not out of place in a suit in shorts when cutting the grass, putting the rubbish out or when trading my boys football team. Only one winner for me - the AT..... Very understated but classy at the same time, Chucky but smooth. This is just my opinion but I did spend a sad amount of time considering all options. I have a post called accuracy if you are interested.....

Knezz, Longbow, ossfm and 2 others like this.
  12. mdgrwl Nov 3, 2016

Thanks for all the input guys. The AT to me is a trusted choice... a no-brainer, easy. There is an allure to the BLNR that I can't deny... so the correct answer, for me, will probably be "both"... sometime... when I can afford it, lol.

13. jeffgo888 Nov 3, 2016

The blnr would work for me ..for all occasions. It's simply the more unique watch. .for me at least

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

blufinz52, XaVi and Riviera Paradise like this.
  14. Jking something intelligent and witty... Nov 4, 2016

We have essentially the same story....bought my AT for my 40th as well. Unfortunately now I've been bitten by the watch bug so it's just the first...

Longbow likes this.
  15. SteveP Nov 4, 2016

It has to be the Aqua Terra for me. Both great watches but, as others have said, much less 'in your face' and, to me, far more fitting in the situations you describe. But also, just LOOK at some of those photos above!!!!!!!!!!!! That dial is just something else.....

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  16. PowerChucker Nov 4, 2016

I would prob take the BLNR, for me, its just a beautiful watch, it has a lot to look at, and I like that. I like the AT, dont get me wrong, but the BLNR at least in this comparison would win. if the AT was up against a Rolex OP, Air King, or Explorer 1, i would prob go with the AT. edit: BUT, since I have never worn either of these 2, im guessing it could go either way depending on how I like them on the wrist. if anyone wants to donate to my scientific experiment about testing this theory out, id be happy! lol :thumbsup::D

Jwit likes this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 4, 2016

AT. Now if you bring a 16710 instead of the chunky Batman....

Longbow likes this.
  18. meganfox17 Nov 4, 2016

I swear to God that 16710 Coke would be mine someday.....[emoji36]
    Gimme a Pepsi & I'll just swap the bezel[emoji14]

Longbow and Nobel Prize like this.
  19. lillatroll Nov 4, 2016

I think the AT would be my choice if it wasn't for that stubby hour hand. It is a beautiful understated watch. The rolex is beautiful in its own way but not exactly discreet not that should be a reason not to buy it.

20. Lrlx Nov 4, 2016

Having held both side by side, the Rolex just pops. I'd pick that one.

KstateSkier likes this.