Forums Latest Members
  1. davidfehr Aug 5, 2015

My wife picked up an Omega Seamaster DeVille with a beads of rice bracelet at thrift shop a while back, I love the watch and would like to wear it however I need to remover quite a few links so it will fit.

Could anyone please direct me to instructions on how to do this. I already attempted to remove one link and mu poking around produced a thin long spring and metal end-cap/insert, which I immediately re-installed knowing I was headed into un-chartered waters.

Any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

davidfehr

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 5, 2015

I actually have no idea what a beads of rice bracelet is, but maybe you should take it to an AD or boutique where they can do it for you. At least here in NYC they're nice about it

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 6, 2015

The beads of rice are great. But go to w watchmaker to shorten it. Not a job for a layman

4. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Aug 6, 2015

I may be interested in your extra links :D

5. Noisy Nova Aug 6, 2015

The BOR bracelet is choc full of springbars.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2015

The AD and boutique might not have seen one before in this case as they're from the 60s, a watchmaker is probably a better bet, and get him to change the springbars and any pins that are worn out / damaged while he's at it.

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 6, 2015

I took my BOR to a local AD and they took one look at it and said it had to be sent to Bienne.
    Your trusted vintage watchmaker should be able to sort it for you.
    the 'removable links are at the clasp end not the watch end -you can see the difference because they usually have little holes in the ends (see below)
    However, they are notoriously difficult to size unless you are there in person (the paper round the wrist jobby doesn't work)

I have the wrists of a pre-pubescent girl -and BORs are really not meant for such skinny appendages

One tip -look to see if there is any adjustment on the clasp
    The loose end (seen here on the right) can be very easily adjusted with a slim pointed object to reduce or enlarge the bracelet (I used the end of a 0.5mm propelling pencil) -note don't move the clasp end or the clasp won't click shut (I found that out the hard way....)

hope that helps

Philip

unknown.jpeg

8. Selbo Aug 6, 2015

I tried to do this myself and ended up with a rice bowl. My watchmaker (definitely not an AD) was able to remove a few links and resize the bracelet in 20 minutes. You'll need a guy that's been around vintage stuff though. I wouldn't go to someone who specializes in modern watches. An old school watchmaker is your best bet.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 6, 2015

OK, so other than "rice bracelet" is this a Jubilee? If so it's just like a little puzzle but not that tough.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 6, 2015

Beads of Rice (or BOR), more correctly, Grains of Rice (GOR) Ω bracelet.

So called because the elements that make up the inner part of a link look like grains of rice. More evident in the second picture.

Cheers

Jim

OmegaBOR1_07082015.JPG

OmegaBOR2_07082015.JPG

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 6, 2015

Always learn something new

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 6, 2015

and they look great on vintage Connies and Seamasters. All photos googled, not mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 6, 2015

There are also a couple of different types of BOR bracelets. The 7 row (older style) are just held together with a small springbar that goes through all the grains.

[​IMG]

The 9 row might be a little different. Found these pictures online.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JohnSteed likes this.
  14. speedbird Aug 6, 2015

I've always read the 7 row was for the Seamaster and the 9 row for the Connie. Not sure it was ever taken that seriously since these were dealer-installed options in most cases

15. Spike Aug 7, 2015

Don't you mean either 5 or 7 row?

I actually queried this bracelet (7 row) which is on my 168.005 (cal 564) as to if it were correct for the watch (the bracelet is coded 1037 no.29 with 570 end links). Omega told me it was the correct bracelet and end links for that reference............of course none of that has any relevance to the OP's original question.....!

CONNIE ON BOR.jpg

SteveZ28 and JohnSteed like this.
  16. Raphomega Oct 10, 2015

hello everybody, i own an Omega Constellation 1966 and i want to put a BOR bracelet on it , do you know where i can buy one ?? and how can i be sure that it gonna fit to my watch ( i have the ref number )

IMG_2886.jpg
  17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 10, 2015

your Connie is a 168.005 dog leg case
    this has an 18mm gap between lugs
    my Connie -which is vey similar to yours -has a 1037, No12, 7 bead bracelet, with the number 70 stamped on the end links
    period ones can be found on ebay
    beware of stretched bracelets, those with a lot of links missing and facimilies

18. tamura Oct 10, 2015

You need the genuine hands too.
    co168c.jpg

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 10, 2015

good call tamura....

mine also but with lume -and aforementioned bracelet (they are SS by the way -just a trick of the light making the hand look dark)
    Constellation post service 220515.jpg

JohnSteed, Giff2577 and tamura like this.
  20. Raphomega Oct 10, 2015

thanks man , what do you think about this one ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...-No-Reserve-/191710369565?hash=item2ca2d4171dPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network