Forums Latest Members
  1. Vanquish1551 May 21, 2014

This is my first post to this forum. I have a passion for hand wound chronographs and vintage sports cars.

I am very interested in purchasing a vintage UG Compax (36mm) and wanted to understand current owners perspective on the size of the watch. I have medium sized hands, but vintage sports watches of that size wear almost like boys watches today. I typically wear 40mm sports watches and never above 42mm. Did you have buyers remorse after purchasing a vintage Compax due to its size?

2. ELV web May 21, 2014

I just bot a 36mm compax recently, love it. My wrist is probably about small to medium giveN I am an Asian, but I think anything 34mm and above generally gives enough presence on the wrist. Hope this helps.

image.jpg
  3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. May 21, 2014

I love the 36mm. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

ELV web likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 21, 2014

No UG in my current stable, but I do find that 34mm - 40mm is the sweet spot for my 7" wrist.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 21, 2014

Quite the opposite - it will ruin you for the larger watches. There is an initial surprise to the eye, but it will quickly adjust and you will realize that it is a better fit than your larger watches. The 40mm pieces will start to seem bulky in a very short time. I have a 7.25 inch wrist, 33 to 40mm is my range and 36-38mm is the absolute sweet spot.

x3no and NT931 like this.
  6. Vanquish1551 May 21, 2014

Thanks for the feedback. I've noticed that people refer to their size of wrist in Inches. Do you simply measure the diameter of your wrist with a cloth measuring tape?

7. Noodia May 21, 2014

40/42 mm diameter you're wearing is a small size by today standards, it's a good start for a success.
    Going from there you could have 2 options, first you go straight to the targeted 36mm with a risk of being not capable to wear it with joy or at least you'll need time to fully enjoy it or you go through a step by step process, there are many highly interesting 37/38 mm vintage UGs.

Also, there are some elements of the watch that will have an influence on the size you'll see with the same diameter, here are some details that should help to see a bigger watch : thickness of the case (thinner ones look bigger), bezel type (flat and thinner bezel will help too), dial color (white/silver dials help either)

8. Vanquish1551 May 21, 2014

Great advice. Appreciate the assistance. I am considering purchasing a Compax Blue exotic in 36mm. Love the dial. Visually the Compax appears smaller than my 6263 Daytona even though the Daytona is only 37mm.

9. Noodia May 21, 2014

it is, as shows this photo I took some years ago (Daytona not mine)

[​IMG]

nice project you have here, if you cross one of these, don't even wonder about size, jump on the watch, the dial will be your best partner to manage size and anything else

10. Vanquish1551 May 22, 2014

I purchased the Blue Compax. The Daytona sub dials are larger which probably helps create a larger appearance. The Blue Compax is stunning. I'm glad I joined the Universal Geneve "club".