Forums Latest Members
  1. Pvt-Public Sep 3, 2015

I need to replace the crystal on my Seamaster 166.028. I have found there are 2 different crystals available 1 with a yellow retaining ring and one with a silver retaining ring. Is there any way to tell which I have without taking the watch apart?
    P1031877.JPG

2. Canuck Sep 3, 2015

The dial appears to be gilt in colour. Use the gold colour trim. Be sure to use a genuine Omega replacement. The trim ring on the Omega is usually different to the trim ring on a generic crystal. (Your dial appears to be gilt. If white, use a white trim ring.)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 3, 2015

No such thing as a silly questions, just silly answers.
    Your watch looks like it has a silver ring now so if your only choice is silver or yellow then I would go like for like.
    I'm not implying Canucks answer is silly by the way.

4. Pvt-Public Sep 3, 2015

Thanks guys ! I didn't realize that it was the ring you can see at the edge of the dial.::facepalm2:: DOH! If I had only known. And also are they that hard to replace, I do most of my own Pocket Watch work, sometimes to my own detriment.

Edited Sep 3, 2015
  5. Canuck Sep 3, 2015

These tension ring crystals can be tough. You should have a suitable crystal press in order to fit one. I usually chamfer the bottom edge of the crystal around the outer perimeter, just a bit. It usually helps getting them in. And the odd one wil crack on you when fitting. You might be best off removing the movement and crystal, cleaning up the case, and sending just the bezel WITH the Omega CASE NUMBER (not serial number) to a material supplier to have a genuine Omega crystal fitted.

Geo! likes this.
  6. TNTwatch Sep 3, 2015

Do you have a good crystal press? The scratch looks deep but doesn't seem to be a crack so it can be buffed out relatively easily with a little bit of elbow grease.

Geo! likes this.
  7. Pvt-Public Sep 4, 2015

I was thinking of going this route except for 2 things.
    1. Deep scratch 2 places said too deep to polish out. You can easily catch a finger nail on it.
    2. Crack at about the 7 o'clock position, so really should be replaced anyways.
    image.jpg

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2015

With the proper crystal and a good press, you can just take the new crystal out of the package and press it straight into the case.

9. Pvt-Public Sep 4, 2015

No press, so I guess this one is off to the pros. But I will try to source an Omega crystal my self with Ofrei's or some one.Tthanks again guys.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2015

Or just let your watchmaker do it...

11. Pvt-Public Sep 4, 2015

That just sounds too easy. ::facepalm2::

Edited Sep 4, 2015
    Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. wsfarrell Sep 4, 2015

Dang, I read the title of this thread as "Billy Crystal," not "Silly Crystal."