Forums Latest Members

Signs of a recession - expectations for vintage prices? (e.g., speedies, other blue chippers)

1. aj_tucker Aug 20, 2019

Hey kind folks of OF,

Murmurs of a recession loom - obviously there are bigger things in life to worry about during such a time, but I'm curious this group's opinion on the prices for vintage speedies / other blue chip watches as well.

Here's my take: prices for blue-chip vintage watches (e.g., subs, speedies, GMTs, daytonas) will fall slightly (max 20%) but will recover in the medium term and continue to appreciate in the long term. Why? A few reasons:

- Constricted supply: they aren't making new watches from 50s / 60s / 70s (or any other decade).
    - Educated and affluent buyers and sellers: I suspect people who are spending ~$10-20k are savvy enough and capable of withstanding a 2-3 year recession, knowing selling their goods would be at a loss.
    - Stronger than ever demand, that could sustain: The demand curve for vintage pieces has shifted right: Asian populates covet luxury goods and the population numbers are staggering. The rise of social media (who here has a over 10k insta following??)
    - History suggests luxury is more apt to handle a recession than one might anticipate (https://www.ft.com/content/e319c5f3-126e-3814-912c-00695d3ff3c4).

This consideration applies in a world in a 'normal' recession. In a world of a global financial meltdown (i.e., greater than 2008), anything is fair game.

Thoughts?

P.S. basically, I'm lusting after a vintage Speedy :)

2. WatchCor Aug 20, 2019

what I've understood from the last few auctions is that I think we're already seeing a "slowing" of the vintage speedy market. Although top pieces do still go for a premium and quickly, normal ,used and even (only) good condition speedys are more difficult to move/sell.

So I would tend to agree on your assumption that some depreciation might occur in a (standard) recession.I dont think that the high end pieces will be affected in any way though

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 20, 2019

OWa, JanV, Aludic and 7 others like this.
  4. alam Aug 20, 2019

the end is nearing... take cover!

:)

EF9F7AA8-7693-4A7B-8AF3-ED22E90D1EEF.jpeg
  5. aj_tucker Aug 20, 2019

6. Walrus Aug 20, 2019

Ya I was just listening to one of the Bloomberg analysts and they were saying luxury goods are expected to slow down. Everything is cyclical it’ll be ok in the end. I hope new speedies grip down to a few hundred bucks for a day or two so I can load up.

7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 20, 2019

guess I would buy a watch before a German Bond.

Not that there is anything wrong with being German.

Traveler likes this.
  8. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 20, 2019

Maybe not everyone who owns a $10k plus watch is financially strong enough to ride out a few tough years?

9. aj_tucker Aug 20, 2019

Probably not everyone, agreed. So, there may be some finds - just a matter of if enough supply to augment a neutered demand. Who knows?

10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 20, 2019

There are people on OF with $10K watches that...……….well anyway...….

11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 20, 2019

Who knows how long one could weight if they plan to buy on the dip. I get it, but I think buying a watch is more like buying a home. When you buy a home you don't really account for prices going down at some point in future, you figure you are in it for the long haul and prices going down or up do not really factor in the purchase decision. Basically you are looking for what you want to meet your needs at a fair price.

upload_2019-8-20_15-35-37.png

12. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 20, 2019

The notes on the Speedmaster101 price chart are always as interesting as the prices:

(Quote from SM101) "The lowering of interest in sub par watches has continued, but the prices and interest in correct attractive examples remains." (End of quote)

Well (on the bright side for sellers of "correct, attractive examples") there will probably still be one or two keen enthusiasts knocking about who, despite recession, wouldn't notice if $10k fell out of their arse pocket.::confused2::

I'm on the hunt for a natural, single cutaway, resonator guitar at the moment. I'm not a wealthy guy, but I will find the money for the right guitar. Recession or no recession, if the right one comes up, I want it now.::love::

Some of us are too old to hang about for 5 years waiting for prices to rise or fall.:eek:...........:D

Edited Aug 20, 2019
    sdre likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Aug 21, 2019

I think when we get a hard dip like we did in the late 80's, late 90's and again in the late 00's, it's generally new luxury goods that take the hard dip- not the vintage collector pieces like most of us are talking about. The newer high dollar watches, purchased with new money- think most of Rolex's client base- will take the hardest hit. All of the aforementioned dips were prime time for picking up a Presidential, Submariner, GMT or a newish Porsche or BMW on the cheap...I remember well.

The vintage consumer pool will shrink as the new money hobbyists will have less discretionary income, so there will have to be some impact on the hobby just from a lessening of demand.

14. leepxy Aug 21, 2019

I think the concept of "hype" seen in sneakers exists within watches as well. There's a general trend of people gravitating towards vintage as a channel to acquire pieces that would be difficult for someone to walk into a store and buy off a shelf. For the most part, I think this way of thinking/feeling of exclusivity is going to stay since a timepiece is one of the few pieces of "jewelry" that a man can wear to express himself.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  15. Dgercp Aug 22, 2019

Recession aside, I feel vintage watch enthusiasm has waned recently. The fad for old watches has slowed and the non- stop social media vintage watch hype has saturated our brains a bit. "Likes" on IG watch posts has fallen( imo) over the last year. A lasting recession can only further dampen vintage prices, for all levels of quality.

Then again, I'm a life long pessimist :)

shishy, Ree and OWa like this.
  16. Braindrain Aug 23, 2019

Great. Better pricing for the rest of us.

And, btw, I agree.

17. Unfamiliar_Moon Aug 23, 2019

All the hipsters have moved to Casio. It's more wallet friendly than a bauhaus or vintage piece.
    That's gotta have an impact, yeah?