Forums Latest Members

Sick Of Constellations And Fed-up With Omega Divers Of The 60's

1. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectable Members

To be honestly blunt, I am sick of the vintage Omega Constellation and diver watches or the 60's. Virtually every other piece can be faulted. The least of the evils, the dial is tampered with or refinished. Next, it is a franken and the worst is, it is a fake.

I am just wondering, without the help of this forum, how many enthusiasts will become an owner of a watch that is neither authentic nor factory-original. It is just sickening.

I am now eyeing a brand-name, which I hope has never been tampered with, frankened or faked. Unfortunately at the moment, the price of this particular beauty is very uncomfortable for me. I am just toying with the idea of getting one, some while from now.

Please let me know, what you think of this watch. I know, Corum is not as popular as Omega or Rolex but one thing is assured, in view of its non-popular status, nobody cares to 'rubbish' this brand-name. If they do, there is no market for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251175443889?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thank-you.

$(KGrHqJ,!nwFBYWgVH3wBQkqThCb)!~~60_57.JPG

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 4, 2012

I had never heard of the brand, but what a great watch! Truly skeleton, and set out in a way that allows you to see and understand the movement. Stunning.

3. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectable Member CanberraOmega

Indeed it is a beauty. However, I do not know how reliable the movement is, relative to Omega and Rolex. The whole movement is of 18k solid gold and as we know, it does not have the strength of steel.

Some while ago, I had two 22k Corum $10.00 coin watch of the US Bi-Centennial Celebration of 1976. The case of the watch is of 18k solid gold. Only 175 pieces were made for the world-market. It was very reliable and a real classic-looking piece - factory diamond-bezel and on the dial string-diamonds on the minute-track. Unfortunately when the rogue real estate agent tried to rob me of my home, I lost both of these watches, too. It is irreplaceable. Unfortunately, I do not have its picture with me. However and fortunately, I know who owns both of them, now.

Should any respectable forum members happen to have this watch, please share with us, its picture.

Thank-you.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Corum is a respectable brand but not very popular here in Indonesia. It is in my wish list. Your target is as good as it gets in the Corum collection line. I am eyeing in more affordable and popular Admiral Cup line.
    Happy bidding..........

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

I'd totally consider Longines as an alternative, look at some of the pieces in our Longines forum and I'm sure you'll like them.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

Seamonsterus Respectabalis, Dennis knows about these watches and he had a very elegant and unusual one for sale. I am not sure if he already sold it, but you should ask him about it.

7. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2012

Oooooo, a Golden Bridge! That's a sweet watch. Sorry to burst your respectable bubble Seamonster, but there are TONS of fakes of those various models too.

My Corum was a late 90's Temps Mecanique with a Piguet 95x inside.

[​IMG]

Nice watch. If it had a better calendar mechanism (like a day and month window) I probably would have kept it. Ended up trading it for my UG Polerouter.

OMGRLX and seamonster like this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectible Member Seamonster -

I agree with you 100%. Haven't bought a vintage Omega in almost two years. Most of the pieces on eBay are either beaten-up beyond functionality or have so many replaced parts to no longer be considered original by any measure. Those few nice pieces that do show up attract prices so far above current market prices that that market is reset (see MSN's recent post on the Vintage Omega Board).

I've been expanding my Hamilton collection while the prices are low enough and have also been trying to incorporate examples of other brands, as you have. Don't know much about Corum, other that they are famous for the carving out of gold coins to make watches. While they are not the only brand to do this (even Omega has a few of these), they were the most prominent. To me, this is like the people making cufflinks from old watch movements. It is destroying history. So I don't count Corum among my brands to collect.

I wish you much luck as you slowly rebuild your collection.
    gatorcpa

9. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectable Member Privateday7

Indeed Corum is not a popular brand-name in many countries, not only Indonesia.

The Admiral Cup line is quite popular and I have heard, some of them are very nice.

Thank-you.

10. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

It is good to suggest Longines as an alternative. I had done Longines before and somehow or rather, I love the Conquest range with Calendar. The power-reserve version is just alluring. Maybe, if there is something really nice and totally original, I shall consider.

Thank-you.

11. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Indeed it is a nice watch and it is a pity, not many people appreciate the beauty of this watch.

Some of the Polerouters are really very attractive and there are followers for this brand-name, unlike Corum.

Thank-you.

12. jbibz Nov 4, 2012

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

14. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2012

So that means you're forsaking your Royal Oak because AP made the limited edition Montauk Highway RO. :D

OMGRLX likes this.
  15. jbibz Nov 4, 2012

The best bit for me is "case converts to a cigar box" hehe

Stretch likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

You know, if you're going to name a watch after a highway, that's a pretty good highway. Nice area and scenery.

Now the Panerai Rice Cooker / Toilet Seat limited edition is the same category of awful as this Corum.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/panerai-rice-cooker.520/

The AP is at least a nice looking, interesting watch, that happens to be named after a highway to make it an LE. This Corum, is just an ugly piece of shit that needs melting. Hell you should pay the gold scrapper to melt it.

OMGRLX likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

:eek: I thought you guys were not allowed off the Island or it was, "back to The Tower"

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

I google streetviewed it!

19. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

It hits me badly, when you said Corum is destroying history. I just do not like anyone to destroy or change history, for whatever reason. I shall give Corum, a re-think.

I am sure there are many followers of some of the beautiful American vintage-watches, including Hamilton and a few others. All good vintage time-pieces will increase in price, some gradually.

Though I have restricted funds to purchase a vintage-watch, I still stick to the fact, it has to be totally original, in every respect, save for replacement of movement parts. When I had the money at one time, I would just grab any factory-original watch that I liked, irrespective of market value or what people may say. Market-value cannot stop me. I could not even care, if and when I had to re-sell I would lose a big chunk of money. After all I did not buy a vintage-watch to generate income - it is an activity for the dealers. If the price were to appreciate, it is a bonus.

However, when I do not have the extra funds to throw around like now, I will want to make sure, if and and when I had to re-sell my beloved piece, at least I would be able to recover my cost.

Hopefully one day, when I have managed to get even with the rogue real estate agent of Sydney, I shall be able to start my collection, once again. God willing.

Thank-you.

20. Jacquot Nov 4, 2012

I've found some nice Longines and Omegas in the last year--not on Ebay, though. Maybe the price was a little higher, but any risk I took was definitely calculated. That said, I have gotten some sweet watches on Ebay, just not those brands recently. I guess the bar has risen. As to the more exotic, why look on Ebay?