Forums Latest Members

Shouldn't have done it, but i did a hit first ask later on a Longines....

1. ELV web Oct 2, 2016

first Longines for me, pure impulse as I think the case looks pretty cool. Dial looks like it is an old redial

image.png image.png
    Pun, ahartfie and Syrte like this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 2, 2016

I really like the case and lugs on this US market model.
    The dial looks original to me despite the subdial print that appears slightly off-center.
    However I was once told I have a tendency to see the world through rose glasses so let's see if others agree ;)

Edited Oct 2, 2016
    Seiji and ELV web like this.
  3. dodo44 Oct 2, 2016

As you probably already know, it is a gold-filled case and as Syrte pointed out, it was made in the US under license from Longines. It is equipped with a 10L movement, which has a great history (it can be found in some Lindbergh models as well as some military watches, such as the Weems type A-11). Longines made several models with this case style in the 40s (google "Longines Mainliner"). The subdial seems to be off-center and the outer track seems to encroach on the subdial, which make me pause. On the other hand, the fonts are OK, the patina is consistent with the age of the watch, and I have found another one with the same dial configuration:
    http://watchestobuy.com/images/LonginesFancyb.JPG
    You will probably get various opinions on whether the dial is original or not. I am leaning towards an old, high quality redial. It probably wears bigger than its size due to the lug design. Wear it in good health.

Edited Oct 2, 2016
    Larry S likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 2, 2016

Love it . It's an interesting design. Great overall look.

ELV web likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2016

I think dial is original. Very iconic design, although it doesn't do much for me.
    gatorcpa

ELV web likes this.
  6. ELV web Oct 2, 2016

Thanks all for the comment, the dial is really weird as most elements look very right but the subdial is off center which is a total throw off. Anyhow, it will make a nice daily wear ;)

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 2, 2016

Frankly if industrial processes have margins or error today it must have been true in the 1940s too. And if so there must have been once in a while an original dial that's bit off... In fact, IMHO it seems more naive and overly optimistic to believe all original dials were perfect than the opposite.

Blum001 likes this.