Forums Latest Members

Should I service my 2201.50 Planet Ocean (2500D)?

1. Sambation Aug 23, 2017

Hi everyone. Two weeks ago I achieved a dream by acquiring a beautiful 2201.50 Planet Ocean with the 2500D movement, dated to early 2011. The realization of the dream is a little hampered by it not standing up to COSC standards. I abandoned all other watches in the collection to wear this one and tried it on and off my wrist and this is how it performed:

- On my wrist, it gains 7sp/d. This means wearing the watch 24/7 including sleep.
    - When off the wrist during the night, the watch gains around 10sp/d in any position (tried them all).

Now, if this was a $200 Seiko diver, I would never even think about doing anything about it. But it's not - it's supposed to be a Chronometer watch, and it's out of specs. I want it to be accurate as the horological gods demanded (+2sp/d would make me satisfied).

I'm thinking that the positive point about all of this is that the accuracy is pretty much steady, even if out of COSC. The 1120 in my 2531.80 pre-ceramic SMP300 usually fluctates without explanation (but almost always remains at -/+2sp/d.

This PO hasn't been serviced since the red dot is still on the caseback. It's not magnetized. The seller claimed the watch is running +5sp/d; after I asked them, the version moved to "anywhere between +5 to +7s"). They claimed that Omega makes the watches run a bit faster so over the years they lose seconds so that in 5 years the watch will be super accurate (seriously). I politely disagreed and they didn't have much to say but they insist that the watch might only need regulation but not a full service.

Other watch people said a service is due. I am leaning towards the service opinion, but I would like to hear a final opinion from you guys (this forum has been very helpful and super friendly in the past).

I'm not afraid of servicing and am OK with spending however it would cost me, I just want to be as close to 100% sure that servicing is indeed the right thing to do. Thanks in advance to all repliers.

IMG_20170821_122812.jpg
    RMA likes this.
  2. speedbird Aug 23, 2017

If you're not running within spec, it's time to service. That's an easy one. Send it to Omega, get a warranty, then you can swim with it, no worries.

Besides you chose one of the best looking watches Omega has ever made. Do it right and enjoy

FlyOnDaWall and Sambation like this.
  3. panaitchrono Aug 23, 2017

I know that many people said that a mechanical watch need a service even if it wasn't worn but in my opinion if it's still accurate for a mechanical watch (not chronometer) I'll delay the service a little..enjoy the look of the watch if you want more precision take an electronic watch..:)

Sambation likes this.
  4. RDK Aug 23, 2017

My (ex) PO 2500D XL never ran within COSC, it ran at +6 spd.
    Never bothered me that much to have it regulated though..

It's in need of service when it starts to slow down. If I were you, I'd keep on wearing it a little longer..

Great watch, by the way! [emoji106]

Sambation likes this.
  5. Shailor Aug 23, 2017

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. It's a mechanical watch after all.

Sambation likes this.
  6. Sambation Aug 23, 2017

I'd actually be happy with +6 spd because that's within COSC points. I'd even be OK with +7, IF it would be consistent in all positions, but the watch gains around +4-5 seconds when left face up (or any other position) during the night. I can only guess that it was COSC when it left the factory 6-7 years ago. It should be regulated to 5 positions, I think - and that isn't the case in mine. It bothers me a lot.

7. hamiltonillinois Aug 23, 2017

Most of my watches are 80+ years old, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. With this in mind, I'd suggest wearing it for a few months to see if this changes.

But it sounds like you get bothered when things are not perfect. IF so, I'd be more worried that the light in your refrigerator is staying on at night. Trust me, it is! ;)

(Enjoy your terrific new watch!!!)

Sambation likes this.
  8. Sambation Aug 23, 2017

Thanks, I actually accept the fact that nothing really is perfect in life, in the world and all existence, but if my watch can indeed be COSC, I want it to be COSC, and at least enjoy a little perfection in an otherwise imperfect world :) I also plan to wear it almost exclusively so I want to be as accurate as possible.

Time2WatchOut and mikechi22 like this.
  9. RDK Aug 23, 2017

Set it two minutes slow, enjoy wearing it.
    Maybe putting it on a winder at night helps..?

I only have two watches and one winder. Both watches are far more accurate on the winder than on the wrist and on a shelf at night (Black Bay ETA -1, Explorer +2 seconds per day).

But hey, watches are for wearing [emoji6]

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 23, 2017

If it is from 2011 then it maybe does need a service. If not now then certainly within a couple of years I should think. Either live with it or get it serviced, simple choice really. With a 2500 I wouldn't personally go independent unless you are sure they are Omega trained/authorised, here in the UK I would use STS or OSC since there is a lot to go wrong if they aren't familiar with the co-ax escapement.

Edited Aug 23, 2017
    Sambation likes this.
  11. Sambation Aug 23, 2017

Nice watches, and accuracy.

Yep, setting it two minutes slow is what I will do from now on, until it gets opened up :)

A winder could help but it's not actually addressing the core issue - I'd do that if I had already owned a winder but since I don't I won't buy one just for that, seems kinda silly.

I guess it's something psychological with knowing that the watch is COSC, that it performs like it should according to Omega.

12. Sambation Aug 23, 2017

I guess my question is, if I sharpen it a little, is if there are any reasons why I shouldn't service it? Cost is not a matter in this issue, and I'm going to own this watch for the rest of my life (no selling). So I'm thinking out loud, if there is any reason why I shouldn't service it (maybe it just needs a regulation and not a full service? Somebody mentioned about that a watch loses time, not the opposite, when it is in need of service.

13. Shailor Aug 23, 2017

Sounds like you'd sleep better having it serviced. I'd go through Omega for this.

Sambation likes this.
  14. shutterlife Aug 23, 2017

It's been suggested that watches should get a maintenance every 5 years, I don't believe it, but it's been mentioned quite often. I personally wouldn't be bothered by it, but then again you're in the honeymoon phase and want everything to be perfect. Understandable.

I have a SMP 300m which I wore daily for 14 years without caring for accuracy, just made it a point to set my watch weekly. I didn't get it service until I accidentally forgot to screw down the crown, and exposed to movement to water, and the watch slowed down. Then I had full maintenance done on it. It's been two years since the maintenance, and runs like a charm.

Should you service? Only you can decide, as to what you will be happy with.

Sambation likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2017

It clearly bothers you, so that should guide your actions. I can say that most watchmakers aren't going to regulate a watch that hasn't been serviced in 6 years - regulating a watch that needs service is chasing your tail. But the information you are able to get from simply checking the time is only a very small portion of what is required to determine if the watch actually needs to be serviced.

It needs to be put on a timing machine - a professional machine that is capable of reading balance amplitudes for a co-axial watch, so not a cheap Chinese made machine. The watch should be checked for amplitudes, beat error, and positional variation, and then get a visual inspection under a microscope to determine if it needs servicing. Timekeeping is not a reliable indicator of the need for servicing.

Note that servicing this movement often requires new parts, as well as specific equipment used for servicing co-axial watches, and of course specific knowledge/training. Make sure whoever you choose to do the work has had training directly from Omega on servicing co-axial watches.

Cheers, Al

Sambation, jzzmusician and italy1861 like this.
  16. Civilguy007 Aug 23, 2017

+1

I picked up a PO 6 months ago and found it to be running -6 s/d. So I dropped it off at the Chicago OB fully expecting they would ship it out for a full service. I was pleasantly surprised to hear them report that they regulated and tested it and there was no need for servicing. It's running about +1 sec/day.

Of course, "actual results will vary". But either way, you will get Peace of mind.

Sambation likes this.
  17. Alabama Aug 23, 2017

Have you checked to see if it is slightly magnetised? I have a Breitling Superocean Steelfish and an Omega Seamaster GMT which were both running pretty fast after having previously been almost spot on day after day. I bought a battery powered demagnetiser for about £10 and after using it they are both back on track. I have no idea how they got magnetised but I avoided the need to send them in.
    I know for you the cost of the service isn't an issue, but for me it's the time the watches would have been be out of my hands that would really have annoyed me.

Sambation likes this.
  18. lhawli Aug 23, 2017

First things first - I'd take Archer's advice on this one.

I have the exact same reference (2201.50) as you with the 2500D caliber. It gains on average 1spd. No watch will deviate consistently in all 5 or 6 positions, hence why I use the term average. Your watch may not necessarily need servicing (it might) but could be as simple as a quick regulation, but since 2011 with red dot I highly recommend a service and be worry free with a serviced and regulated watch at an "average" +1 or 2spd. Also a service will ensure all seals are replaced to ensure your WR is as the watch claims (not that you'll ever dive 600m deep).

IMG_2284.JPG

Edited Aug 23, 2017
    RMA and Sambation like this.
  19. Wryfox Aug 23, 2017

IMHO +6 is just dandy. A wee fast will guarantee you're not late. Plus, wearing accuracy will always be slightly different than bench tests. I think you're just fine. Wear it in good health and focus on world peace.

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 23, 2017

Totally agree but one minor point I would add is that some cheap Chinese timing machines, the sort which sells for ~£125 on eBay currently, read the amplitude etc of coaxial movements just fine, well the 2500 and 3133 at least. As long as you set the lift angle correctly of course. Obviously this doesn't mean all do.

Edited Aug 23, 2017