Forums Latest Members
  1. stokey Feb 1, 2014

Should I sell?
    New to the forum ,owner of pre moon speedmaster 321cal st 105**365 no pro on dial, this watch has a known history as it
    was a present for my 21st! , only discovered the real value after comments from other watch enthusiasts, the watch is in
    Imaculate condition having been serviced Dec 12 and a new mainspring fitted.The watchmaker a Rolex trained man commented
    on the condition, I still have the original strap which has a broken link, the watch has been fitted with a quality leather
    strap, looking at the condition of sold 321, s
    do I sell or hang onto the watch as a sound investment?

2. John R Smith Feb 1, 2014

Do you want to own a very nice watch or have lots of money instead?

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 1, 2014

Hang to it, unless you have better watch investment or in dire emergency. Based on my observation Speedy Cal 321 is a solid investment piece.

befobe likes this.
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2014

Good investment IF it has all original parts and is in great shape.

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 1, 2014

I am "wow"-ed by the current sales prices. I say sell!

Make sure you include any stories and photos of the watch in it's (your!) youth. The greater the detail, the greater the interest. A picture of you wearing the watch on a boat/wearing sporting gear/driving an old car...buyers will EAT THAT UP! It's called "provenance" and you don't even have to be an astronaut!

I think since the thought of selling crossed your mind, you're not sentimentally attached to it, even considering all the good and bad times you and your watch have seen together?

Or did I just plant the seeds of second thought?

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 1, 2014

It will al come down to condition. Post some pictures of the watch and we could give you an estimate of what to expect.

7. stokey Feb 1, 2014

Thanks guys for your comments so far, I only really started to use the watch again in 2011 and never really gave a thought
    as to its value!, I had a scare when about a month after I had the back removed to check the cal /num ,the next time I used it the
    mainspring went, the Rolex guy I use was pretty sure springs were available ,but other spares ie hands bezel etc seem to be not to be,
    this put the thought in my mind to sell the watch while it is pristine.
    I will get some photos and post them .

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 1, 2014

The condition of the dial is very important, and that it is original, in up damaged condition, and correct for the reference. It is unclear to me which reference you have.

there is no reason to sell it for fear of not getting replacement parts. You are not going to want to fit hands to it! (Unless you want to destroy its attraction to most of us!)

the prices are strong for all 321's at the moment. While it could be a spike, I do think prices are rising and there is no supply in the market, of good ones at least. for my part I see only an increase in value.

what others have said about provenance and history is true from my experience.

I would like to see a photo of the watch. People unfamiliar with 321's calling a watch pristine, can equally be describing a serviced watch proudly sporting an Omega fitted service dial, hands and bezel, which while looking perfect, destroys the interest. (No offense).

It is true I don't think that is the case from what you say, but I am sure I am not alone in anticipating the pictures.

welcome to the forum!

9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 1, 2014

For me, watches are not an investment, but objects to enjoy and appreciate for what they are - little marvels of engineering and at their best fine workmanship too.

If you enjoy wearing the watch and it has sentimental value, keep it. Otherwise, sell it. ;)

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 1, 2014

MikiJ likes this.
  11. Varasc Feb 1, 2014

I absolutely agree. It's your choice but, if you don't need money now, why to sell such a beautiful and rare, unique companion? I have my own Speedmaster, even if not a precious 321, and it's linked to memories I would never forget. This is not just a fine timepiece but a part of me, of my little story on this planet. We will carry on together. :)

12. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 1, 2014

Keep it and bring it on the market if you need a new kidney or something Important. The value increase on these would make Gordon Gekko jealous.

Varasc and TLIGuy like this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2014

The ST 105.003-65 is the reference not the serial so you don't have to asterisk digits :), the actual serial will be on the movement, and will be 8 digits starting with a 2.

14. stokey Feb 1, 2014

Thanks for all the replies, I did not want to give all the watch details the case ref is ST10500365 and movement no 25***500,
    am I right in thinking that the ref ending in 65 is the mfg year?.
    You have all given me something to think about, I will get some photos posted and would welcome comments on what the watch would sell for
    and the best way to market it, I use ebay regularly but due to there fees try to avoid selling high value items on there.

15. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 1, 2014

Respectable Member stokey

I find it rather strange when you stated 'I did not want to give all the watch details'. Without disclosing all the watch details, it will not be easy for respectable forum members to advise you, fully. Kindly advise, what is the reason for hiding all the details, while at the same time you are seeking advice from respectable forum members.

Thank-you.

16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 1, 2014

Serial numbers are protected from view in many ads. I believe it is to avoid providing info that an unscrupulous person could use. Nice even serial number!
    The case was mfg in 1965 but may have been assembled in a later year. My 105.003-65 was delivered November 1967 and sold in 1968. When was your 21st birthday?
    This is a good place to sell because you get honest feedback on the value and you set your price and terms. However, not having established a reputation here may hurt your sale (interest or price). You'll need to sell YOU as well as your watch, if that's what you decide to do.
    Looking forward to pictures. Throw in some old ones of you wearing it back in the day!

17. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 1, 2014

if that watch was presented to you from your parents, then it is beyond me, why you would want to sell it at all. there will be a time, when you regret that deeply. and the money , you fetched, will long be gone..... kind regards. achim

18. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 2, 2014

Firstly, welcome. To both questions, I will say no. If my father gifts me a watch, mechanical or quartz, I will not think of selling. Neither will I hang on to it seeing it as an investment. It's going to be a part of my father to me. But that's just me. :)

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 2, 2014

Yea I'd be more thinking about who to eventually pass it on to after you

20. stokey Feb 2, 2014

Guys
    Politely, I only wanted some advise as to the current value! , ie do the users think 321, s are going to rise over the next few years, I did not say where the watch
    was gifted from or if it had any personal memory's or attachments, the answer to both is no.