Forums Latest Members

Should I return my impulse buy? Omega Seamaster 1954 2828

1. egong Feb 8, 2018

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I made an impulse buy on an Omega Seamaster (for about $800) but am having second thoughts about it after reading up on vintage Omegas on the forum. I realise that this is the 471 movement which doesn't seem to hold as much value but I like its look.

Some issues I've noticed:
    - it loses about 2 minutes a day (too much for being recently serviced?)
    - missing lume dots on the 12, 3 and 4 o'clock
    - caseback seems to be polished, and possibly the lugs as well
    - dents on crown
    - possibly a crack on the crystal, it projects a shadow at the right angle at the edge at about 11 o'clock (see last picture)

Also, I'm not sure about the crystal - it's unsigned so does that mean that it's not genuine/original?

Should I return this to the seller? Thanks in advance for the advice.

IMG_6833.jpg
    IMG_6834.jpg IMG_6836.jpg IMG_6837.jpg IMG_6838.jpg IMG_6839.jpg IMG_6835.jpg

IMG_6832.jpg IMG_6840.jpg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 8, 2018

2 minutes a day slow is not recently serviced and it needs a service.

egong likes this.
  3. Temprus Feb 8, 2018

can we know how the watch was described? was it mis described or not?

4. egong Feb 8, 2018

There was minimal information about the watch - just its year of production, calibre and serial number. The salesperson mentioned that it had been serviced (not sure when), and that more information about the piece can be given to me at a later date. This was at a large department store that carried some vintage items, and was told that if I wasn't happy I can return it.

5. egong Feb 8, 2018

Thanks, I read elsewhere that 1 minute is ok, but wasn't sure if 2 minutes is acceptable.

6. Wing Zero Feb 8, 2018

I would return it. 2 minutes a week is barely tolerable. I can't imagine losing 2 minutes a day

7. Sherbie Feb 8, 2018

I’m curious.

Where was this, and what department store sells vintage watches? And why would they withhold relevant information until a later date?

Not a lot is making sense to me

8. egong Feb 8, 2018

This was at Nordstrom, selling Foundwell https://foundwell.com/collections/antiques/time# pieces. I was told that they only carry Foundwell in their Seattle and New York stores for now. I wouldn't say that they were withholding information, they didn't have it on hand and said that the owner/curator from Foundwell would email me more details about the watch. I am a complete beginner with vintage watches so I had more confidence going with a large store with a good return policy instead of buying a watch online then doing further work like getting it serviced.

9. adi4 Feb 8, 2018

If they offer the return, I would return it. Unless you’re ok with eating the cost of service in addition to the price you paid. I mainly say this because it seems you are already having some regrets.

I wouldn’t be so scared of servicing a watch you buy elsewhere, both Seattle and NYC have good servicing options. Just do your homework on the model and I think you’ll have better luck finding a watch that you won’t regret right after purchase.

10. chanbar Feb 8, 2018

I will have to see if the Seattle location really sells it. I was there last month and didn’t see Foundwell when I browsed the men’s watches while the wifey shopped

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 8, 2018

They have been doing test pop ups inside different Nordstroms. Hodinkee was doing it in Bloomingdales for awhile I think. Its not abnormal.

12. chanbar Feb 8, 2018

I am definitely intrigued! And with the Nordstrom return policy safety net, can’t go wrong!

13. egong Feb 8, 2018

I think it's only been at the Seattle one in the past couple of weeks, it's in the men's department right near the escalators, around the corner from the fragrance section. Lots of other vintage items too, and a really cool looking Jaeger LeCoultre skeleton clock.

14. egong Feb 9, 2018

I'm not too attached to it so will return it. Was the original price tag of $800 too much for what it is?

15. chanbar Feb 9, 2018

Will have to see if I can make it his weekend. I typically never pay attention to the pop up stores. Will have to now especially in the Bellevue one where we normally shop. I assume you are in the Seattle area? Been trying to figure out how many members were in the PNW

16. chanbar Feb 9, 2018

To me, it is especially with the problems. I could have sworn a week or two ago someone was selling one similar to it in the private sales forum and it had the same cool tobacco coloring

17. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 9, 2018

A couple of hundred too much in my opinion - for that price or maybe $100-200 more, you should be able to find a nicer 34mm example.

marco, tamura and egong like this.
  18. egong Feb 9, 2018

Yep I'm in Seattle - this was in the downtown Seattle store, not sure if Bellevue has one

chanbar likes this.
  19. egong Feb 9, 2018

Is the tobacco coloring from actual tobacco smoke, and the face is originally white?

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 9, 2018

No