Forums Latest Members
  1. GuiRo Sep 24, 2018

Hello Omega Fans!

I am a newbie in vintage watch collecting and recently discovered that my late grandpa's constellation (photo 1) had a redial. A pretty clear redial. I got frustrated and looked online to see if I could get an original one, with no success. Researching I came across this redialing workshop in Barcelona, Spain, that seems very reputable (family owned since 1908) - https://danafi.com

I am inclined to try and re-redial it, looking for a more original look. Any thoughts?

I tried looking online for the same dial (Omega Constellation CK 2852, cal 505, Stainless Steel Case, Rose Gold Indexes, Hands and Medallion) but couldn't find a good example.

I found a similar one that I believe has a white/cream finish (Photo 2).

What would be the original color for this dial? White/Cream, Silver? Is the finishing solid, brushed, sunburst? I am a bit lost here..

About the printing, I think that I got a pretty clear reference (Photo 3).

Thank you and godspeed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Davidt Sep 24, 2018

So which is your watch - photo 1 or 3? I'm looking on my phone screen but I believe photo 3 is also a redial.

Do you have more pics of your watch? Head on, sides, rear etc.

GuiRo and noelekal like this.
  3. Vanallard Sep 24, 2018

I had a SMD refinished at Dial Craft (Canada) and was quite happy with their work. A good option if price is a consideration as Danafi is quite expensive.

F2C9847F-8F04-42DA-A79A-3E64AA96F6D8.jpeg
    GuiRo likes this.
  4. onthedial Sep 24, 2018

@GuiRo
    A redial is a redial regardless of the difference in quality. Personally I would wear yours as-is and consider it part of the watch's history. [Make sure to have it serviced properly before wearing it for daily use]. As you enjoy your heirloom, you can give more time to trying to source an origoinal, period correct dial (submit a WTB notice on various watch forums, keep checking eBay, etc).

GuiRo likes this.
  5. dan7800 Sep 24, 2018

Your grandfather wore it as a redial. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue wearing it as he did. At the end of the day, it is obviously your call and you should do as you please.

The only way to find an original dial might be to buy a donor watch. This could possibly take months of hunting and be fairly expensive (factoring in the cost of the donor). If you do this, one way to save a bit of money in the long run would be to get the watch serviced when the dial is replaced.

However, do your homework before sending the watch out to just any "expert". You cannot undo a really lousy job.

GuiRo and marco like this.
  6. GuiRo Sep 24, 2018

Mine is the one in the orange strap. The one in gold is the correct font and texting display, at least I think. Is it a redial as well?