Forums Latest Members
  1. hayhayc Mar 30, 2014

I just inherited two vintage omega watches. I decided to bring them to the omega shop to get a quote regarding price to service these watches. The first one is my grand father's favourite watch so I will get it serviced anyway. The second one I was quoted almost 750 pounds to get a complete maintenance service. I just wonder whether at that price, is it worth it? Also it will be nice if you guys know roughly what model these watches are and how much the second one is worth? The blue hands in the second one doesn't looks right to me, I wonder are they original.
    Thanks
    2014-03-03 04.56.52.jpg 2014-03-03 04.50.48.jpg

2. Georgieboy58 Mar 30, 2014

These are great watches, don't have them serviced by Omega but by an independent watchmaker (the UK members will probably chime in soon with suggestions, Christian is a name I have heard here IIRC).
    Omega is a) expensive and b) known to over restore the watches, which makes them less valuable for collectors.

Have to wait for the experts regarding originality but my gut feeling is they are OK, I have seen such hands before and they seem to match the dial.

For full details it will probably help if you have the back opened by someone and get some pictures of the movement and the inside of the back cover.

Welcome to this forum!

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 30, 2014

Here is Christian's watch repair blog:

http://watchguy.co.uk/

No idea what he charges, but it's going to be a lot less than Omega, whatever it is. If you read some of the stories there, you can see how careful he is to maintain the originality of a watch. He seems to be able to find NOS original dials if he needs them.

The hands on your second watch look absolutely 100% original to me. This was a common style in the 1930's, which is era which that watch was made. One of the better examples of that style that I've seen.

Good luck with both projects.
    gatorcpa

4. rolexfantastic Mar 30, 2014

Not that the SM is not nice, but the second one is a killer.. service them, of course.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 30, 2014

Two VERY nice vintage Omegas. Number 2 is stunning.

Don't let Omega Service Centre touch them.

Find a local watchmaker to clean, oil and adjust and they'll go on for years.

6. Habitant Mar 30, 2014

Christian has prices listed on his site. Much cheaper than Omega. Have used him myself and recommend him. Both should be serviced!

7. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Mar 30, 2014

N°2 looks like a very nice 26.5SOB. Hands look correct to me also and the dial seems very well preserved. What size is it?
    Any possibility to have a picture of the movement and Inside of the caseback?

8. hayhayc Apr 1, 2014

unfortunately both watches are in Omega factory so can't get any picture at this moment. I guess I will ask them to send me back the watches and perhaps fight for one of Christian's time slot. I will try to post some picture once the watches are back with me.

9. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Apr 2, 2014

The 26.5SOB looks like a ref CK 816, which was quite a success that remained in the Omega catalog for some time :
    Here in a 1935 calatog :
    [​IMG]

1936 Catalog :
    [​IMG]

1938 Catalog (with the two versions : luminous and non luminous dials) :
    [​IMG]

1940 Catalog :
    [​IMG]

As usual, different dials and hands for the same model.

Here are mine :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

konung39 and Buynitsky like this.